Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Batt/unit insignia , Egypt /Salonika

Intrados

Can anyone recognise this dark triangle on this helmet , photo shows soldier known to be in egypt ,mesopotania , salonika . I know its a bit bright but trying to get it clear as pos. I presumed it was a division patch ,now it seems a battalion or unit patch, but have you seen it before in these theatres ?

thanks ,Trev

post-30616-1203525247.jpg

Trev,

It may just be my eyes but I can not make it out. Can you show it a bit smaller or dull it down.

Are you saying that this chap was in all these theatres? If so then it should not be too hard to id the unit. I am inclined to think if it is a triangle then its poss a brigade or battn flash rather than a div sign. I have looked through my div sign cards and can not find anything that fits.

Now this is really out there but it reminds me a pic i have seen and I want to say its a Connaught Rangers man!

regards

Arm

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it was the Regimental Badge that went on the side of the Wolsely. In my units' cases, it was the Royal Artillery badge backed by a square of tartan based on what battery they were in (see below).

Mike Morrison

hmm interesting , I will take a look at their badge as I posted a blurry pic of his tunic button a while ago trying to ID the rgt. from that but no luck. This man was also in france , which makes him a dead ringer for the KOYLI 1st batt, or other rgt. on the same trail. I think a few west country regiments were out in salonika too but my man enlisted in guisborough n/yorkshire so I was thinking northumberland fusiliers / green howards or KOYLI . But I will try anywhere for a clue : )