Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Africa War Graves Project - Non Commemorated

southafricawargraves

Hi all,

Just in case anyone cares, the South Africa War Graves Project has a separate page where we post info about possible non-comemmorated men as we come across them. We've had some success with the entries so far and forward every scrap of info we get to Terry Denham.

But just in case you might be able to help with the Brit units on the list, take a look here:

http://www.southafricawargraves.org/needtoresearch.htm

If anyone wants the Excel file, let me know.

Thanks,

Ralph

Ralph

Of course people care. That is why this section is here.

The details are that GWF has put forward so far 23 cases for the SA Project. Eighteen have been accepted and five are in process with more to be presented shortly.

The accepted names have not yet had an 'In From The Cold' notice as they have not yet completed the whole procedure. Their potential burial sites are being investigated. This is not always a simple process as many are in Israel, Tanzania, Kenya, Namibia, SA etc - not quite like popping off to a cemetery in Kent!

Not all are men from the SA forces as some are UK casualties of South African/Rhodesian birth.

Re Officer Cadet Hobson

Times of 30 Jan 1917 shows

On the 27th Jan at a nursing home in London WILLIAM CAREY HOBSON the only son of the late William Carey Hobson and of Mrs Carey Hobson of Harefield, Graaf Reinet, South Africa aged 25

DC ref shows death registered at Marylebone

Chris

Fetch-11.png

Times of Oct 18 1918

Got the Dc ref

Chris

Got the DC Ref for De Beer

Quite happy to take on the UK deaths

Chris

I have already got De Beer's DC and his case has been put forward. It is one of those in process.

Ralph's list does not show those that have been put forward but for which results are still awaited.

Terry

OK - I will do Hobson & Nightingale

Chris

May I enquire the present status of all these men. I see some have now been submitted whereas others have now been approved. I presume someone is in overall control and that all these men will eventually get a full detailed investigation?

As you all know most of my own non-comms are found on civic war memorials throughout Kent and I have been active in these matters for the past 5 years or so. Although I don't normally get involved in non Kent cases, If it helps out I am happy to adopt a few men here or help out with D.C costs and disbursements. I have recently been given a large sum of money to spend on non-comms.

All cases are being handled through the GWF system by myself. Three more submitted today. (In case you are not aware, I am also UK co-ordinator for the SA War Grave Project).

Ralph is in charge of co-ordinating the research activities prior to submission. He has a very experienced team in SA and elsewhere researching these but, if you have any info to contribute, please pass it to him.

I will ask Ralph to add to his site a mention of those which are in hand to avoid confusion.

I will ask Ralph to add to his site a mention of those which are in hand to avoid confusion.

Terry,

Thanks for that clarification. I was concerned some men might be missed out but it looks as though you guys are extremely well organised. Yes it would help if their present status was kept up to date to avoid this kind of confusion. I have been working on kentfallen over the past few days and have used a colour coding to show their current status -

Approved

Rejected

Waiting for Decision

Not yet submitted

here - http://www.kentfallen.com/Forgotten%20Fallen.html

Batch 3 almost ready. I'm having problems with some men on the investigation list though..... I know they existed but it looks like their Service papers were destroyed in WW2 and I can't find their deaths on GRO! I'm waiting to hear from the Red Cross in Geneva re Frank LYNES (Charing War Memorial). I wrote 2 months ago and to date have got nothing not even an acknowledgment. Have you had past dealings Terry? I suspect (with good reason) he was captured in 1915 by the Germans and died in their custody. No official record exists of the death which is shocking!

I am adding a link to the S.A Project on kentfallen links page - http://www.kentfallen.com/Kent%20Fallen%20Links.html

Good luck.

Sorry to butt into this thread but I've a north Rhodesian Rifleman who is a possible non-commemoration.

Which category would he fit into?

Derek,

Your not butting in, that's what this thread is about.... WELCOME!

If you want me to add it to my non-comms just email me at clarkneil@hotmail.co.uk otherwise I'm sure the forum will be delighted to help out...