Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"They are Not Forgotten"

CROONAERT

I have searched both the Nelson Leader and the Colne and Nelson Times and can find no mention of Thomas Tarmey being wounded and no mention of Patrick Tarmey dying. The only mention of a Tarmey was in the Colne and Nelson Times 22 January 1915 under the heading of the 14th List of Local Residents who have Responded to the Call of King and Country. Enlisting at the Nelson Recruitment Office, Thomas Tarmey, Barrowford, Coldstream Guards.

Fred

I have searched both the Nelson Leader and the Colne and Nelson Times and can find no mention of Thomas Tarmey being wounded and no mention of Patrick Tarmey dying.

I'll take a look in the Burnley Express archives tomorrow. Occasionally (well, quite often, actually) Nelson soldiers' obits appear in the Burnley Express. Might be worth a look.

Dave.

I have searched both the Nelson Leader and the Colne and Nelson Times and can find no mention of Thomas Tarmey being wounded and no mention of Patrick Tarmey dying.

I'll take a look in the Burnley Express archives tomorrow. Occasionally (well, quite often, actually) Nelson soldiers' obits appear in the Burnley Express. Might be worth a look.

Sorry! Drawn a blank in the Burnley Express too! :(

However, I was rushing a little, so I'll take another better look when I'm next in there. (I'll also look at the "Burnley News" archive next time.)

Dave.

Hello Dave

Just as a matter of interest, are there any RIDING entries?

Thanks

Andy

Guest thwaitey2004

Going back to my great grandfather Cpl Thomas Tarmey, does anyone have or know where i could get some pictures of 11 Platoon 1st Bn Coldstream Guards? My grandad went to war in 1915, and was wounded on the Somme, so anything around that time really. Ive tried searching on 'units and formations' but no luck!

Hope ya can help!

• 9 months later...

Hello

I dont suppose you have any details on a H R Turner of the Coldstream Gds-

Turner, HR Arras Bay 1 L/Corporal 12945 25/03/18 born Earby, enlisted Nelson, livedColne, Lancs

Thanks Ian

Hello

I dont suppose you have any details on a H R Turner of the Coldstream Gds-

Turner, HR Arras Bay 1 L/Corporal 12945 25/03/18 born Earby, enlisted Nelson, livedColne, Lancs

Thanks Ian

Afraid that I don't, unfortunately(Though I could quite easily get some! ;) ) I don't think he's listed in this book (though I might be wrong) as it mainly concentrates on Nelsoners who are listed on the war memorials that survive in the town today. Being from Colne, he's more than likely not in it.

You might want to drop the author of "They are Not Forgotten" a PM. There's a possibility that he has something on him (he also lives nearer Colne library than me!!! :D ).

Dave.

hello

thanks , i will send a pm

Ian

• 6 months later...

I have an obituary for a Nelson man if anyone would like a scan of it?

201688 Cpl Edgar Duerden, 2/4 East Lancs Regt. Died 10 October 1917.

Lived at 102 Holly Street, Nelson. One of four brothers who served.

Shout up for a scan.

Nigel

ps..... no idea which paper it is from, sorry

• 18 years later...

Below is some info on Private John Howarth who served with 14th (King's) Hussars in Mesopotamia who was mentioned at the start is this thread. Cheers, Bruce

06 March 1917 – Lance Corporal HOWARTH, John (regimental number 5588), DofW

Date of Death

Surname

Forename(s)

06 March 1917

HOWARTH

John

Regimental Number

Rank

Death

Lance Corporal

DofW

Location or Cause of Death

Wounded – Lajj (Haji Ali Ash Shahim), Mesopotamia;

DofW – Lajj (Haji Ali Ash Shahim), Mesopotamia

Life Notes

There was only one John Howarth born near Colne, Lancashire, England between Q1 1886 and Q4 1888…

During Q1 1855, Christian Howarth born as illegitimate child of Ann Howarth at Burnley, Lancashire, England.

On 04 August 1877, Christian Howarth married Annie Walton in St. Paul Church at Little Marsden, Lancashire, England.

On 11 March 1881, brother James Howarth born in 7 Every Street, Great and Little Marsden at Nelson, Lancashire, England.

In 1881 England Census, James Howarth living with family in 7 Every Street, Great and Little Marsden at Nelson, Lancashire, England.

On 09 August 1887, Howarth born in 21 Nelson Street, Great and Little Marsdem at Nelson, Lancashire, England but location not found.

In 1891 England Census, Howarth aged 4 and family not found.

On 23 March 1894, sister Mabel Howarth born in “Wood Lea”, 99 Railway Road at Urmston, Lancashire, England.

On 03 March 1901, father Christian Howarth died in 31 Zion Street at Salford, Lancashire, England.

By late March 1901, father Christian Howarth buried in Inghamite Church Cemetery on Wheatley Lane Road at Fence, Lancashire, England.

In 1901 England Census, Howarth aged 14 not found but possibly living in Barnoldswick, Yorkshire, England with a suitable aged registered death for “John Howarth” between Q1 1887 and Q4 1901 not found.

In 1901 England Census, mother Annie Howarth (née Walton), brother James Howarth and sister Mabel Howarth living in 31 Zion Street at Salford, Lancashire, England.

On 24 October 1903, brother James Howarth married Alice Emma Smith in St. Clement Church at Urmston, Lancashire, England.

Most probably after Q3 1905, Howarth enlisted at Burnley, Lancashire, England in the 14th (King’s) Hussars as a Private, and then trained in England and/or at Curragh Camp, County Kildare, Ireland.

May have served in England and/or Ireland.

On 05 September 1906, Howarth departed England with 14th (King's) Hussars for Bangalore, Mysore, India.

In 1911 England Census, Howarth at Bangalore, Mysore, India as a Private in “A” Squadron and record used forename of “James” and incorrect Birth Place of Colne.

In 1911 England Census, mother Annie Howarth (née Walton) and sister Mabel Howarth living in 130 Padiham Road, Whittlefield at Burnley, Lancashire, England.

In 1911 England Census, brother James Howarth and Alice Emma Howarth (née Smith) living in 157 Padiham Road, Whittlefield at Burnley, Lancashire, England.

On 08 November 1915, Howarth embarked on the Hired Transport Ship Islanda at Karachi, Sindh, India and disembarked at Basrah (Basra), Mesopotamia on 15 November 1915 with “D” Squadron.

On 11 January 1916, Howarth signed an Informal Will witnessed by Private Thomas R. Jackson (regimental number 8505) and Private John Roberts (regimental number 6308) both of “D” Squadron.

Promoted from Private to Lance Corporal.

On 05 March 1917, Howarth Wounded at Lajj (Haji Ali Ash Shahim), Mesopotamia.

On 06 March 1917, Howarth Died of Wounds at Lajj (Haji Ali Ash Shahim), Mesopotamia.

Buried on site.

Body not recovered.

In Informal Will signed by Howarth, a Mrs. D. A. Edwards listed as the beneficiary and contactable via a Mr. C. Roberts, Public Works India (British Bardo and Central India Railway) at Neemuch, Central India Agency, India.

However, in the Soldiers Effects no beneficiaries listed.

On 26 November 1930, instructions requested regarding disposal of medals to which Howarth was entitled.

No British Army pension records found.

No death notice or obituary found.

Burial

Memorial or Cemetery

Grave Reference

Age at Death

Mesopotamia

Basrah (Basra) Memorial

Panel 2

30?

Parental Information as of June 1921

Son of Annie Howarth (née Walton) and the late Christian Howarth of 35 St. John’s Road at Burnley, Lancashire, England. Surname also spelt at HAWORTH and HAWARTH.