Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"They are Not Forgotten"

CROONAERT

I have got a copy of this privately published book which contains biographies, extracts of newspaper reports, obituaries and , in many cases, photos of the servicemen who are listed on the various war memorials in Nelson, Lancs.

Willing to do look-ups if required.

Dave.

Can you help with...

John Hancock, 20th Hussars

John J Slater, 14th Hussars & MGC

Richard W Heseltine, 14th Hussars & Leicesters

John Howarth (Barnoldswick), 14th Hussars

Kind regards

Patrick

Patrick.

Heseltine and Howarth aren't included as they're not from Nelson (Barrowford and Barnoldswick). Hancock isn't included, possibly because his name isn't listed on any (presently surviving) war memorial in Nelson (the book's basically a research project on all the lists that survive today).

...and Slater is one of the soldiers who doesn't have an obituary in the local papers, so ,unfortunately, most of the details are from SDGW and CWGC, details that you already probably know.

Anyway, here's "his" page in the book...

Dave.

post-14-1075752637.jpg

...this is the Roll of Honour at St.John's church with his name included...

post-14-1075752979.jpg

...and, finally, a (rather distorted) view of St.John's as he would have known it...

post-14-1075753126.jpg

Dave

Thank you for taking the time to do this. As you say not much extra but it is helpful to know about the memorial at St. John's Church. C of E I presume?

Thanks again

Patrick

• 4 weeks later...
Guest philmarsden

Hi Dave,

Saw your offer to do look-ups for Nelson, could you please check to see if Dick Walton Bull (b.1883), James Walton Bull (b.1883) or Harry Bull (b.1895) are listed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards, Phil Marsden

Sorry, no Bulls listed whatsoever :( . The book covers the 14 memorials that still exist today. The Bulls could be on one of the other 14 that have disappeared since the 1920's. However, there may be something in the Nelson and Colne Times, or the Nelson Leader archives. Want me to have a look?

(I take it that D.W.Bull was in the 1/7th Royal Scots at the time of his death on 27/8/18, and that Harry Bull was in the 1/Coldstream Guards when he was KIA on 3/4/16? I can't find any reference to J.W.Bull. Can you supply me with any clues?)

Dave

Dave

I would be grateful if you could check for three men:

Pte Fred Whittaker (424353) 11 Coy Labour Corps formerly 228495 6th SWB Dow 28 May 1918

Pte P Pickup (125100) 166 Coy Labour Corps formerly 40805 17th Cheshires Date of death 11 Oct 1918

BROWN, Private, HERBERT, 71802. 4th Garr. Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers transf. to (568673) 871st Coy. Labour Corps. Died of disease 20th October 1918

Many thanks

Ivor.

Unfortunately, only one of your soldiers is listed, and he doesn't have an obit. This is Herbert Brown and I suppose you have his CWGC and SDGW details. All I can add is that he is on the memorial of the Salem Independant Methodist Church, now held at the Pendle Heritage Centre in Barrowford.

There was one Fred Whittaker, but he was the wrong man (KIA with the 1/Cheshires).

Dave.

Dave,

Can you do me a favour and check whether a William A. Baker Pte/L.Cpl. in the MGC is listed. 1901 Census indicates he and his parents were living there in 1901.

Cheers.

Andy.

Sorry, Andy.

No mention. Going off the CWGC, I don't think he was a Nelson resident in 1914 (Son of Rev.John Baker of Millom, Cumberland and representative of Shrewsbury Challiner, Manchester).

Dave.

Saw your offer to do look-ups for Nelson, could you please check to see if Dick Walton Bull (b.1883), James Walton Bull (b.1883) or Harry Bull (b.1895) are listed.

Phil.

I found two of your Bull brothers and the reason why I found no reference to the third (he survived - minus an arm!). Read on....

(this obit. is for Harry Bull - quite lengthy, so I had to fit it on 2 pages of A4(therefore 2 posts on Harry) - from the "Nelson Leader", April 1916)...

post-14-1078272243.jpg

...the second post on Harry...

post-14-1078272365.jpg

...and this is the obit for Dick.W.Bull from the "Nelson Leader", September 1918, with a reference to their other brother Jim Bull....

post-14-1078272634.jpg

As a footnote, there is a possibility that Jim Bull's wounding gets a mention somewhere in the local papers, but I'd need a rough date to find out - I'll hand the detective work over to you here,Phil.

Hope these are OK for you,

Dave.

Dave,

any chance of emailing me direct an undistorted view of St Johns as I haven't seen that one before. (Mum and Dad were married in that church)

Thanks

Peter ;)

• 4 months later...
Guest thwaitey2004

[/i]Further information regarding 11846 Guardsman Harry Bull, 11Platoon 1st Bn Coldm Gds. Me and my dad were delighted to see Harry's picture, his name has been passed down through my family from my Great Grandfather 14870 Cpl Thomas Tarmey 11Platoon 1st Bn Coldm Gds, who was actually with Harry when he was killed at Ypres on 3rd April 1916. Harry's name is commorated in the book 'At the going down of the sun' produced by the Last Post Association. Me and my dad wrote the story of Harry's death, and submitted it for possible inclusion. Not only was it included but his name together with my great grandad was read out at the Menin Gate on 3rd April 2002, what a moving ceremony it was, i was there with my dad and my brother. Harry's grave is in the Menin Road South Cemetery, Ypres. We placed flowers on it, but sadly there are no details, ie... date of birth and age, or any inscription. In the book it says this.....

Harry Bull and Thomas Tarmey were mates. They ate together, slep together,fought together and like proper mates they would do anything for each other. On the night of 2/3 April 1916 Tommy's section had been involved in a particulary gruelling ration party. To make matters worse , it was also Tommy's turn to go on sentry duty in the front line. Seeing how exhausted his friend was and not having taken part in the ration party himself, Harry offered to stand sentry in Tommy's place. As he was mounting the fire step, Tommy called out, 'Keep your head down, Harry.' Sound advice, but just a fraction of a second too late. At the very same moment, a German machine gun opened fire in No Man's Land and Harry Bull fell mortally wounded.

'Faithfull are the wounds of a friend'. (Proverbs 27,6)

Also, does anyone know if these two men were in the Nelson paper?

My grandad from Barrowford, 14870 Cpl Thomas Tarmey, 1st Bn Coldstream Guards. He was wounded in the attack on Ginchy, 15th Sept 1916 on the Somme. His wife's name is Elizabeth Smith from Nelson. Also his brother, 206291 Sapper Patrick Tarmey of the Royal Engineers. He died on 2nd Dec 1916, we think he was badly wounded in the head by shrapnel, but we're not to sure. He is buried in Dieppe France. Hope you can help.

Also, does anyone know if these two men were in the Nelson paper?

14870 Cpl Thomas Tarmey, 1st Bn Coldstream Guards..... , .......206291 Sapper Patrick Tarmey of the Royal Engineers.

Patrick Tarmey - very likely.

Thomas Tarmy - possibly (though more likely to get a mention in Patrick's obituary rather than his own write-up, especially when considering the amount of casualties that were being recieved in the months surrounding his wounding).

Want me to take a look, or do you want to do it yourself?

Dave.

OK. Leave it with me for a couple of weeks (I'm not at work this week, so I won't be going anywhere near Nelson this week!)

Dave.

Hello Thwaitey 2004,

I am the author of the book They Are Not Forgotten.

I am interested in your information re Harry Bull. I believe my uncle, by marriage, James Charles Worrell, enliste in the Coldstream Guards at Nelson on the same day, 7 Sept 1914 as Harry Bull, John Greenwood and Fred Dearden. Worrell was posted to the 3rd Bn and sailed for France on 22 Jan 1915. I belive the others sailed earlier. Fred Dearden was killed by a sniper, near Bethune, on 13 April 1915, whilst picking potatoes in a field for his tea. As you report Harry died on 3 April 1916. My uncle survived the war, being wounded four times ( the third on 15 Sept 1916 at Guinchy the same day as Thomas Tarmy), before he was awarded a MM, as a Lewis gunner, in March 1918. He survived the war being discharged 4 March 1919. I believe John Greenwood also survived the war.

Patrick Tarmey's name appears on the War Memorial in Barrowford Park, but you may already know this. If you would like a photo of it I am willing to send you one.

Since I live in Nelson I will look in the local press tomorrow for info on the Tarmeys.

I hope Crooneart doesn't think I am treading on his toes.

Fred

I forgot to say my uncle was transferred to the 1st Bn in November 1915.

Also did you know that there used to be a Roll of Honour in Nelson Library listing all the local men and women serving in the Forces up to about April 1915. Thomas Tamey's name appeared on it and his address at the time of enlisting was 111 Pine Street NelsonAlso in the book The Leader Local War Record 1914 - 1915 there is a photo of Harry Bull together with R Sutton, J Burrows and J Barnes.

Fred

Since I live in Nelson I will look in the local press tomorrow for info on the Tarmeys.

I hope Crooneart doesn't  think I am treading on his toes.

Don't worry about treading on my toes, Fred! Anybody who volunteers to take some work off my hands is quite welcome to it! :D

I live in Burnley and only work near Nelson, so I'd be going a little out of my way anyway.

Dave.

(PS. excellent book ,by the way)

Also did you know that there used to be a Roll of Honour in Nelson Library listing all the local men and women serving in the Forces up to about April 1915.

Fred.

You may be interested to know that a (rather fragile) copy exists in Nelson library still. Last time I was in there (in March, getting the Bull obits.) it looked like they were considering getting it renovated.

Dave.