Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Devil's Elbow Vimy ridge

Geoffrey

Currently, I am working on a war diary and I am perplexed by an entry refering to the Devil's Elbow near Vimy ridge. Is anybody familiar with this term? (it may have been coined by the Canadians). Any ideas or input would be much appreciated.

The following is a passage from the diary.

“For a day or two the gun teams were kept near the guns lest a quick move should be necessary, but when this became unlikely, they rejoined the transport at the old Hull Siding position, and the first few weeks were very trying ones for the drivers, who had to pack ammunition and rations through the almost impassable mud of the old trenches, and run the gauntlet of the Devil’s Elbow, since this was practically the only passable road down the steep face of the ridge. Some casualties were suffered in doing this work, but it was well carried out nevertheless. As one driver put it when he returned to the lines in the early dawn, tied up in sand bags, plastered with mud and leading an equally plastered packed horse, “We may have taken the ridge, but Fritz still holds a mortgage on that corner.”

Geoffrey.

Geoffrey,

I am sure one of my Scottish colleagues will identify it exactly but the "Devils Elbow" /was a notorious series of bends on a road in the Highlands.

George

Thanks, any and all help is most welcome.

Geoffrey,

I am sure one of my Scottish colleagues will identify it exactly but the "Devils Elbow" /was a notorious series of bends on a road in the Highlands.

George

Between Dundee and Braemar I believe. It has been ironed out now.

Nigel