Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Flying Corps at Jezreel?

scottiedog

I've been tracing my grandfather's WW1 service. He was (mostly) with the 1/4th Cheshires and served at Gallipoli and then in the middle east.

I've recently got hold of copies of letters he wrote in 1917. In September 1917 he says he is attached to 14th Squadron RFC as a Groom. He was previously a Saddler with the Transport Section of the 1/4th Cheshires somewhere near Gaza when he volunteered for Mule Transport for the RFC. I think he missed the 1st and 2nd Battles of Gaza as a result.

What confuses me is that in the September letter he says he is writing it in the vineyard for which Jezebel had King Ahab kill Naboth. Having looked that up, it would place him near Jezreel, to the north of the Gaza/Beersheba line - at a time when the line was still held by the Turks.

Can anyone help me understand what was going on - Was it part of flanking manoeuvre ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Les

Hi Les

I have the published history of 14 Squadron and as you say in September 1917 they were still in the south of Palestine based at Deir el-Balah.

The only expanations I can think of:

1.He go the Bible story wrong and/or the location OR

2.The date on the letters is wrong. September 1918 is the date of the Battle Megiddo when allied troops were operating in the Plain of Esdraelon, near Jezreel. 14 Squadron sent supplies to the old German airfield at el-Afule at the end of September to operate against Damascus, maybe your man was part of this supply activity.

Cheers

Dominic

Thanks, Dominic

Not too sure where that leaves me. I was pretty confident the date was correct because of what he says and how it fits with other letters. I'll have to rethink.

Thanks

Les

• 10 years later...

Hi Chaps

Long  shot but you may still be on nett.

I have some letters & photo taken by 2nd Lt JL Loveridge att RFC. One element of the squadron in about Feb 1917 was sent to help the Arab revolt - TE Lawrence etc. We have photos taken in Medina and El Wejh

775685346_33-4ElWejh14Feb1917.Loveridgealbum(600dpi).jpg.7e437a241d3dc0744d57157835fc67fc.jpg

Hope this helps

Andrew