Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ski Sunday, unexpected bonus

Cliff S

Happened to be flicking through the TV channels last evening when I stumbled onto a report on Ski Sunday about an area presumably high up in the Alps where there is a preserved trench system from WW1.

The report showed these trenchs and dugouts in an area which for much of the year is covered in deep snow and ended with some re-enactors staging a skirmish, after which all shook hands and went home!

Worth a look if this programme is available on the BBC2 watch again facility.

Cliff

I also "stumbled" across it. I was interested to see the size of the rifle being used by an Austrian re enacter....it seemed quite small...I wondered how accurate that was. Would they have used cut down versions in the mountains for some reason?

Oh the irony, I stopped watching Ski Sunday when it became a series of jollies for BBC personnel rather than a programme about top level ski-ing . . .

There is a whole variety of stuff in the Dolomites, from the Via Ferrata ladders and walkways to dugouts and forts. Unfortuantely I have only been in winter so haven't seen much of it. There are a number of companies do summer walking tours of the area.

I think the Austrian and German hillbillies used carbines rather than rifles as they are more manageable when climbing.