Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte William COOMBS,13 Bn, London Reg't d.02/02/1

christine liava'a

Remembering Today:

Pte William COOMBS, 1671 13 Bn, London Regt, who died aged 24 on 02.02.15. Kensal Green (All Souls) Cemetery, London, UK

Name: COOMBS, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: London Regiment

Unit Text: 13th Kensington Bn.

Date of Death: 02/02/1915

Service No: 1671

Additional information: Son of A. Coombs, of Fulham; husband of Caroline Barker (formerly Coombs), of 223, Lewis Trust Buildings, Fulham, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 71. 3. 44560.

Cemetery: KENSAL GREEN (ALL SOULS') CEMETERY

There are more than 170,000 Commonwealth war graves in the United Kingdom, many being those of servicemen and women killed on active service, or who later succumbed to wounds. Others died in training accidents, or because of sickness or disease. The graves, many of them privately owned and marked by private memorials, will be found in more than 12,000 cemeteries and churchyards.

Kensal Green (All Souls') Cemetery contains burials of both wars. Half of the 475 first World War graves form a plot in the south-west section of the cemetery, the rest form small groups or are scattered throughout the cemetery.

A screen wall in the First World War plot records the names of casualties of both wars whose graves could not be individually marked. Also recorded on the wall are the names of five servicemen whose remains were cremated in Kensal Green Crematorium.

• 3 years later...

[b]Private William Coombs was my great grandfather. He was born 15 Feb 1891 and married my great grandmother Caroline Norris in 1913. My Nan, also Caroline, their daughter, was born Oct 1913. I don't know exactly when William went to war but I can tell you he was shot in the head in France and brought back to England to die (basically). He died in Thanet leaving my Nan and great gran to fend for themselves because the Coombs family had disowned them. The A. Coombs referred to is his father Alfred Coombs. His cousin William Barker came back from the war and looked them up to see how they were doing and eventually William Barker married my great gran and they went on to have 3 more children. I have visited his grave in Kensal Green and was very pleased to see how well it is being cared for by CWGC. His headstone had been replaced and his memory will live on in perpetuity.[/b][quote name=christine liava'a' date='Feb 2 2004, 04:56 AM' post='70185]

Remembering Today:

Pte William COOMBS, 1671 13 Bn, London Regt, who died aged 24 on 02.02.15. Kensal Green (All Souls) Cemetery, London, UK

Name: COOMBS, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: London Regiment

Unit Text: 13th Kensington Bn.

Date of Death: 02/02/1915

Service No: 1671

Additional information: Son of A. Coombs, of Fulham; husband of Caroline Barker (formerly Coombs), of 223, Lewis Trust Buildings, Fulham, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 71. 3. 44560.

Cemetery: KENSAL GREEN (ALL SOULS') CEMETERY

There are more than 170,000 Commonwealth war graves in the United Kingdom, many being those of servicemen and women killed on active service, or who later succumbed to wounds. Others died in training accidents, or because of sickness or disease. The graves, many of them privately owned and marked by private memorials, will be found in more than 12,000 cemeteries and churchyards.

Kensal Green (All Souls') Cemetery contains burials of both wars. Half of the 475 first World War graves form a plot in the south-west section of the cemetery, the rest form small groups or are scattered throughout the cemetery.

A screen wall in the First World War plot records the names of casualties of both wars whose graves could not be individually marked. Also recorded on the wall are the names of five servicemen whose remains were cremated in Kensal Green Crematorium.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am researching the 13th London Regiment and can add the following info.

He worked at Harrods as cleaning staff. He worked in Ported general (?) department. He applied on 7 Oct 1912 and started on 9 Oct 1912. He was paid 20 shillings a week. He lived at 18 Bafam (?) Street, Fulham and then moved to 27 Block E, Sutton Dwellings, Chelsea. He left on 15 August 1914 (Harrods employment card, Harrods Archives Department).

His death was reported in the Harrods Gazette Vol 3 No 3 in March 1915. He was in D Company. Coombs died of wounds at Broadstairs on 2 February 1915 received in action.

Widow awarded pension. He married Mrs Caroline Coombs (DOB 11 February 1891) on 11 May 1913. Address at 37E Sutton Dwellings, Chesea crossed out and new address given as 22 Hanwood Terrace, Fulham. They had one daughter Caroline Coombs (DOB 10 October 1913) who was awarded a pension which expired on 10 October 1929). (Source: PRO PIN 82/036).

Hope this helps.

Tom