Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Tycho

Sleepy

Hi everyone

I went SCUBA diving yesterday on a ship wreck called the Tycho, off Sussex. The Tycho was sunk by the submarine UB-40 on may 20th 1917, the same sub then sunk the Porthkerry which had stopped to pick up survivors from the Tycho. I keep files on all the wrecks that I dive (and alot that I hav'nt). Do'es anyone have a picture of the Tycho that I can copy, or know any web sites where I can find one?

Thanks

Hello Sleepy

As a starter, when looking for photos it's always usually best to start with the archives where the builder's records are held, if they still exist. Tycho was built by Earles's Shipbuilding Company and their records are held at Hull University Library, Hull, HU6 7RX, and Town Docks Museum, Queen Victoria Square, Hull. The National Maritime Museum does have a photo of the Tycho, so you're certain to find at least one photo. You could also try the World Ship Society, though you have to be a member to access the photo collections, and finally, as the ship was owned by Ellerman's Wilson Line, it's almost certain they will have more photos - there are a number of books available detailing the history of the Ellerman Lines. I'm not sure where Ellerman's archives are now, or even if they still survive as a company. Someone on the Forum will know the answer. Something tells me an enquiry to Liverpool archives (Merseyside County Archives Service, William Brown Street, Liverpool) might bear fruit. There's also a maritime museum in Liverpool which has many ship's photos. I wouldn't rely on the internet to trace photos - there are far more available offline than there are online.

Dave W

Dave W

Hi Dave

There is one good site I've found for pictures on the net,

www.photoships.co.uk

no pics of the Tycho though, thanks for your help, will get onto that :rolleyes: .

Sleepy

hi dave

found this

SS Tycho 3216 tons

Attacked by submarine torpedo 21.03.15 in the Downs but it missed.

Attacked again by torpedo 20.05.17 and sunk 16 miles off Beachy Head, Sussex. 15 killed

The U-boat was the UB 40 which torpedoed the Tycho 16 miles W½S from Beachy Head Lighthouse.

Three of the casualties are buried in Sussex at Rottingdean (St Margaret) Churchyard - Harry Bateman, James Short and one unknown.

i will keep looking

Hi Sleepy

OK, some early success! I don't know whether you've been bitten by the research bug yet, but if you really get into it you'll be able to find out all sorts of information. I have a microfilm of UB-40's (among others) war diary which should give details of the attack, etc. I say 'should' because the Tycho isn't one of the wrecks in my area, so I haven't looked to see what the records say. Obviously it's in German anyway, will have to be printed off on a microfilm viewer/printer, then translated. Sometimes the handwritten record is accompanied by a typed entry which makes it easier for the translator to read. A bit of a long process, but in my view well worth it. You'll also be able to obtain an account of the sinking at the National Archives. The reference should be something like ADM137/3990.

Dave W

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a little piece I found, but no photo.

Porthkerry

1920 tons

Hull 141 1911

A collier 280 ft. (85.3 metres) long, speed of 10 knots. Built for Porthcawl Steamship Co., of Cardiff, Wales, (Thomas, Stephens & Wilson managers). On May 20, 1917, Tycho, a defensively armed steamer of 3216 tons, was torpedoed & sunk by UB-40 in the English Channel, 16 miles W by S of Beachy Head, Sussex. The Tycho Captain and 15 of his crew died. Porthkerry, en route from Cardiff to Sheerness with a cargo of coal, came on the scene 7 minutes later, stopped to pick up Tycho survivors, & was itself torpedoed & sunk. 7 (or 8) Porthkerry lives were lost. Including the Captain. Wreck lies at 50°37'35N 00°18'58W in 42/46 metres of water, with Tycho nearby.

Now I may be mistaken, but I think not, there is a video of the launching of the Tycho (built Smiths Docks) and maybe photos on a Northumberland official web site. I remember I had to load some video player that I did not want to load. Also on the site was a video of a miner and his band. All about life in the 100 yrs ago. Dammed if I can find it now. Following the story up I ended up at the wrecks sites.

Alan

The First Engineer of the Tycho Died 20th May 1917 Buried at Rottingdean ( St Margaret ) Churchyard

and was a Freemason in the Humber Lodge No 57 Founded 1809. In the Provence of Yorkshire North & East Ridings

Peter.

The First Engineer of the Tycho Died 20th May 1917 Buried at Rottingdean ( St Margaret ) Churchyard

and was a Freemason in the Humber Lodge No 57 Founded 1809. In the Provence of Yorkshire North & East Ridings

Peter.

his Name James Short,

Peter.

name='marine pete' date='Mar 15 2008, 11:20 AM' post='881606']

his Name James Short,

Peter.

hi peter

i found this on C.W.G.C.

Name:SHORTInitials:JNationality:United KingdomRank:First EngineerRegiment/Service:Mercantile MarineUnit Text:S.S. "Tycho."Date of Death:20/05/1917Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadCemetery:ROTTINGDEAN (ST. MARGARET) CHURCHYARD

SHIRL

It wasn't the Tyco, but ship a ship called Corchester on the web site. They were however linked.

• 12 years later...
On 17/02/2008 at 09:29, Sleepy said:

Hi everyone

I went SCUBA diving yesterday on a ship wreck called the Tycho, off Sussex. The Tycho was sunk by the submarine UB-40 on may 20th 1917, the same sub then sunk the Porthkerry which had stopped to pick up survivors from the Tycho. I keep files on all the wrecks that I dive (and alot that I hav'nt). Do'es anyone have a picture of the Tycho that I can copy, or know any web sites where I can find one?

Thanks

Tycho picture   found here   https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?79728

regards  CB