Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion Welsh Regiment

Sidearm

I wonder if anyone could tell me what the 1st Battalion of the Welsh Regiment were doing on 21 February 1915? This was the date my great-uncle, Pte William John Picton (13187) was killed. I know his name appears on the Menin Gate; I also have a photo and death notice from a local Cardiff newspaper, but I know nothing of the circumstances of his death.

Could anyone enlighten me?

Thank you

Gwyn

Gwyn

Looking in the Long Long Trail it seems that 1 WR were part of 84 Brigade 28 Division which was to the east of St Eloi at this time. There was an exchange of trench capturing and re-capturing going on. For the full story you can try to get a part of the battalion War Diary which covers,say,2 or 3 weeks before the day of your subject's death. It is WO95/2277 and covers from Jan to Oct 1915. You can get a download from the National Archives Digital Express service for a fee.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Hi Gwyn,

here's William's entry in SDGW,

post-15439-1203219885.jpg

The following is taken from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Western Front 1915'

1st Battalion Welsh Regiment

February 1915

Marched to Stazeele (2nd) and from there travelled on buses to Vlamertinghe. Marched to Ypres and from there - half battalion went forward to Zillebeke and half to Blauwpoort Farm in support of troops in front line trenches. Took over front line (4th). Positions recorded in War Diary as being north of the Ypres-Lille railway. Relieved during the night (6th) - HQ and 2 companies to Zillebeke, 2 companies to Ypres. Returned to front line (8th). Relieved (10th) and next day went to huts near Mille-Kapelleken Farm on the Vlamertinghe-Ouderdom Road. Moved to Ypres in support (14th), but returned to camp same night. Marched through Ypres to Chateau Rosenhal, next day took over front line trenches during the night. Lt's Lloyd and Evan-Jones killed (16th). Relieved (17th) and to Rosenhill. Lt. Dundas mortally wounded while reconnoitring new front line south of canal (19th). Battalion moved up later. Took part in attack (20th). Casuaties - 94 killed, wounded and missing. Relieved during the night (21st) and to Ypres. Total casualties since 16th February - 178 killed, wounded and missing.

Hope this helps on your quest,

cheers, Jon

• 5 months later...

Gwyn

I have some brief details about your great-uncle uncle taken from the Cardiff press. If you let me which newsaper item(s) you have located, I will be happy to pass on any additional material and sources.

(Another) Gwyn

From the Welsh Regt history (Whitehorne & Marden) - I hope these are not too big for the forum?

Bernard

Ah, yes. Forgot to rotate them...very sorry.

Bernard

post-64-1218738143.jpg

post-64-1218738165.jpg

• 5 months later...
I wonder if anyone could tell me what the 1st Battalion of the Welsh Regiment were doing on 21 February 1915? This was the date my great-uncle, Pte William John Picton (13187) was killed. I know his name appears on the Menin Gate; I also have a photo and death notice from a local Cardiff newspaper, but I know nothing of the circumstances of his death.

Thank you

Gwyn

Gwyn

Could you post the photo / notice out of interest, he died the same date as my own Gt uncle Patrick Thomas Staunton 1st Welsh

hi.......would it be too much to ask what the same battalion 1st Welsh were up to on and around the 26/07/1916.

this is my man

Name: BEWICKE, CALVERLEY GEORGE

Initials: C G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Welsh Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 26/07/1916

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 7 A and 10 A.

Any help much appreciated.

Jim

Bewicke,C.G: 1st Bn Welsh Regt., served att. 2nd Bn Welsh Regt.: 2Lt: 17.3.15:

Lt: 1.10.15:

Calverley George Bewicke, kia. 26.7.16.

MR 21: Thiepval Mem. No additional details on CWGC Register.

See the edited diaries of Capt. (Later T/Lt.Col.) C.P.Clayton, 'The Hungry One'. Company Commander of

pages 151 & 152 (killed).

"Young Bewicke is at a bend in the trench a few yards away and most of the men are between him and me. It is a great relief to hear his Lewis gun open out. He is letting off sharp bursts. His gun has done more to steady the men than anything else. They are now almost normal but nothing I can do will make them take up the bomb fight again yet.......

I hurry back to the trench and as I approach I hear Bewicke’s gun roaring away furiously. To my surprise I find that the men are fully recovered and ready to start again. The fight with bombs begins right at our door this time. There is a sharp interchange and again the forward movement begins. But the formal bombing party is lost now.....

The bombing goes on right into the night with only a very slight pause every now and then behind a newmade block.....

I get a message that we are being relieved by a regiment of the second brigade. This is good news for, with fresh strength, they should have no trouble in finally securing the objective. But to relieve troops actively fighting is no easy matter - especially mixed as they are with the Anzacs........

I return to the bomb fight and find that there are still some of my men engaged. It is midnight before I have got out all that are left.... There are many who are gone for good. Sergeant Phillips is one.....

And there is young Bewicke. Without his dashing work with the Lewis gun I doubt whether the men would have recovered from their panic sufficiently to make good the lost ground as they have done. He died at his gun, after he had done his bit."

1914/15 Star (Lt.), BWM & VM (Lt.).

To France 20.11.15.

In the 19th century the Bewicke family owned Hallaton Hall in the village of Hallaton, Market Harborough, even the local inn (demolished 1958) was called the Bewicke Arms.

Medals claimed by mother Mrs. L.B.Bewicke. Father, Major H.B.N.Bewicke. The village war memorial in Hallaton was donated by Mrs Bewicke, in 1921, in memory of her son (Leicester Advertiser, 20.12.1958). Address: ‘Hallaton Grange’, Market Harborough.

See also: 'Hallaton', A History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume 5: Gartree Hundred (1964), pp. 121-133. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22052

Dave

Dave,

That is awesome. I hadn't logged on for a while and what an amazing reply. Its like the black and white of the names take life and take us back to a world we can only speculate about. Is there any reference to where they were, ie trench names etc? that would be incredible to get back to where they were

I shall pass this info on to the family.

Cheers

jim

Isnt google a marvelous thing!

July 26-At 3PM another attack is organised at Munster Alley. It is carried out by B Coy under Captain C.P. Clayton. Good progress is made until 5PM when the objective is reached. By this time all the Battalion bombers have been called up and all are in a very exhausted condition. The enemy then counter-attacks in large numbers and eventually we are pushed back to our original position. Another attack is then organised and with the assistance of 17th Australian Battalion 150 yards of Munster Alley is re-won and consolidated. About 9PM the relief of the Battalion is commenced by 10th Northumberland Fusiliers. Casualties for 25th-26th, Lieut. C.G. Bewicke and 2nd Lieutenant E.C. McGroarty? Killed. 131 other ranks killed wounded and missing.

Just need to find Munster Alley............any ideas?

Thanks for everything

• 1 month later...
Isnt google a marvelous thing!

July 26-At 3PM another attack is organised at Munster Alley. It is carried out by B Coy under Captain C.P. Clayton. Good progress is made until 5PM when the objective is reached. By this time all the Battalion bombers have been called up and all are in a very exhausted condition. The enemy then counter-attacks in large numbers and eventually we are pushed back to our original position. Another attack is then organised and with the assistance of 17th Australian Battalion 150 yards of Munster Alley is re-won and consolidated. About 9PM the relief of the Battalion is commenced by 10th Northumberland Fusiliers. Casualties for 25th-26th, Lieut. C.G. Bewicke and 2nd Lieutenant E.C. McGroarty? Killed. 131 other ranks killed wounded and missing.

Just need to find Munster Alley............any ideas?

Thanks for everything

Munster Alley is on Trench Map 57dSE4 Ovillers, Grid Reference X 5 b, 6 a.

If you want a scan of the map send me a PM,

SteveJ.

Thank you

Gwyn

This may be of interest Gwyn-

• 11 months later...

Hi, I didn't want to start a new topic so I thought I would add it here. I was looking to see where the 1st Battalion Welsh Regiment were around 25th May 1915. I know that they landed at Le Havre around the 18th Jan 1915 and were in the area between Bailleul and Hazebrouck. From what I gathered they were involved in the Second Battle of Ypres but I was just looking to see if anyone had anymore information on this as my great uncle died on the 25th May 1915 ,Charles Bunting-Service number 19472. I have looked at all the information on them being attached with 84th Brigade in 28th division etc but I am finding it pretty hard to find out more. The only other information I have is that he is on panel 37 on the menin gate where I visited on many occasions.

I am unable to get anymore information from his side of the family as they are either not alive or don't know anything so I have decided to look into things myself. As I am going back to vist France and Belgium in April I wanted to know which areas he may have been so I could go and visit them.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Victoria

Hi Victoria,

Here you go,

In the vicinity of Bellewaarde Ridge near Ypres.

His battalion commenced an attack against Bellewaarde Farm at 3pm on Monday 24 May 1915. The first attack was beaten back as was a similar enterprise at 8.15pm.

Shortly after midnight the battalion moved through Railway Wood and then made a bayonet charge against the Germans. Although the battalion made successes, it was forced to withdraw with casualties of 14 killed, 152 wounded and 267 missing. The battalion was then relieved by the Royal Scots to bivouacs in Balloon Wood.

The War Diary records,

22 May 1915 - Marched back to Vlamertinghe where took over trenches from cavalry near Hooge.

23 May 1915 - Trenches.

24 May 1915 - Battalion relieved by 11th Hussars but ordered forward again at 4.30am as cavalry had been gassed and lost ground. Battalion was heavily shelled crossing canal. 84th Brigade ordered to attack enemy trench at Bellewaarde Farm.

Advanced at 3pm under heavy shelling, towards Menin Road - heavy rifle fire and some casualties. New advance at 8.15pm unsuccessful

25 May 1915 - 12.30am Brigade reformed on north side of Menin Road where attack came under concentrated machine gun fire; moved through Railway Wood and at top of hill made a bayonet charge to drive out the enemy. Held on until dawn. Heavy shelling. Withdrew.

I presume you have SDGW but if not, born and resided Aberdare, enlisted Cardiff.

He landed in France on 1 April 1915.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi,

A bit more (from Westlake)

April

His battalion were in Locre on 4th April and at camp near Poperinghe on 14th. Moved forward to huts west of Ypres 16th, then to Zonnebeke sector trenches 17th. Took part in attacl near The Birdcage 18th. Relieved on 23rd and withdrew to huts north west of Ypres. Took up positions near Frezenberg cross raods 25th. "A" and "B" Companies moved later to Zonnebeke in support.

May

Moved to GHQ Line 7th. relieved 10th and marched to camp near Poperinghe. Moved to billets near Vlamertinghe 14th, farms near Poperinghe 16th, Herzeel 19th, Vlamertinghe 22nd. Took over trenches near Hooge. Took part in Battle of Bellewaarde Ridge 24-25th. Casualties 406 killed, wounded or missing.

Graeme

Victoria: Don't be afraid to start a thread, as sometimes your topic can belost amongst the original responses.

Similar Service Numbers to your Great Uncle were:-

BUNTING C 19472 1ST BN 25/05/1915 WELSH REGIMENT

DALE W 19497 1ST BN 18/04/1915 WELSH REGIMENT

GRIFFITHS GH 19475 1ST BN 25/05/1915 WELSH REGIMENT

MORRIS M 19458 1ST BN 02/10/1915 WELSH REGIMENT

NICHOLLS WC 19427 1ST BN 25/05/1915 WELSH REGIMENT

PRITCHARD J 19490 1ST BN 08/05/1915 WELSH REGIMENT

WILLIAMS H 19447 1ST BN 06/06/1915 WELSH REGIMENT

It is likely they enlisted at a similar time and may have formed friendships during training and in the trenches, so you will see that at least 2 others with similar numbers also died that day. It also looks like Howell Williams was wounded and died in Hospital in Manxhester from his wounds, (but that is speculation).

The CWGC info for him is:

Name: BUNTING, CHARLES

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Welsh Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 25/05/1915

Service No: 19472

Additional information: Son of William Henry Bunting, of 190, Woolwich Rd., Charlton, London, and the late Leah Bunting.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 37.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

From the description of the fighting, it seems typical of the War, fighting to gain a few yards of trenches, being gradually whittled down and forced back, then reinforced and forward again, till too weak to hold the ground, back to get reinforcements and do it all over again. None of the casualties were recovered, presumably buried by the Germans and the site of their graves lost or destroyed in subsequent fighting...

With regard to the attack on the 24th, there are only 6 deaths recorded in CWGC, one in Boulogne hospital, the others on the Menin Gate, so some disparity with the report of 14 killed. Presumably the balance were badly wounded and captured with the 267 missing..... A lot of casualties for no real gain.

I'll leave you to puzzle over a London boy being in Aberdare (or why his parents moved to London)!!

KevinW4-Thanks for that info it's very helpful. As for the Aberdare-London situation, I hadn't really thought about it but I will have to see if any of the family know why as I am sure there is an interesting reason for it!

• 2 years later...

Hi, could anyone help, I am looking for more infomation about the events leading up to my Great Grandfathers death?

He is at rest in Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetry. His details are; William Moreton, Private, Service Number 36248, Date of Death 20th July 1915, 1st Bat Welsh Regiment.

Could anyone please tell me what the Regiment was doing on the days leading up to his death and would he have been killed near Kemmel or could it have been further away?

I am visiting Ypres on Thursday 7th June for 10 days so if anyone needs any 'photo's etc I can get them and post. (sorry about the short notice)

Regards, Mick Koza