Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Balkans Allied Prisoners of War

Eddie Bosano-Andrews

Can anyone tell me where allied soldiers captured by the Bulgarians during the Salonika/Balkans campaign where held. Specifically those captured in 1915.

There are two CWGC sites in Bulgaria. The Sofia War Cemetery information says..

"Sofia War Cemetery contains the graves of Commonwealth servicemen who died as prisoners of war or with the occupying forces following the Bulgarian capitulation in September 1918. The original cemetery contained 62 war burials, most of which were brought in from Dubnitza Cemetery, Radomir Cemetery and Military Cemetery, and Sofia Town Cemetery. Further graves were brought in from Varna Protestant Cemetery in 1955 and from Ruschuk British and Jewish Cemeteries in 1960. "

and that for Plovdiv Central Cemetery says...

"The Commonwealth servicemen buried at Plovdiv Central Cemetery died either as prisoners of war or while serving with the occupying forces following the Bulgarian capitualtion in September 1918. The Commonwealth plot was formed when graves were brought in from other cemeteries. The cemetery now contains 55 Commonwealth burials of the First World War."

Check the CWGC site for details of the 1915 men.

Thanks for the (very quick) reply Terry, I'll check out the CWGC sight, I hadn't tough of that as a starting point.

The only named POW camp in Bulgaria that I have come across during reserach into the Salonika Campaign was at Philippopolis (now Plovdiv). Whether this camp held POWs of nationalities other than British I do not know.

Hi Awake

I don't suppose there are any photos of the camp ?