Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Bombala

I am seeking any information relating to the sinking of the HMS Bombala (also known as Willow Branch) on April 25, 1918. I noticed a number of forum members had discussed it some years ago.

My great uncle Bernhard Anderson was the Lieutenant Commander of the Bombala and went down with his ship fighting to the end against two German submarines.

This year is the 90th anniversary of the sinking and his death and I want to commemmorate it for my mother - who lost four uncles in the Great War and another in WW2.

Lt Cmder Bernhard Anderson was a hero who, according to brief family history notes (which ared supported by accounts in the forums), ordered his remaining crew off the Bombala and joined his gunners.

Family notes say HMS Bombala was proceeding to Sierra Leone when two submarines opened fire... "The Bombala replied and made a running fight for two hours. When all the oficers and a number of crew had been killed and tghe ship was on fire and he could no longer navigate it, he ordered the remainder of the crew into the boats and went aft with the gunners and fought with his ship until she sank half and hour later. he was picked up badly wounded after the ship had sunk but died a few days later from exposure. Only two men out of the whole crew reached the shore to tell the story."

I would like to find pictures of the Bombala and, of course, any service record for my great uncle.It would be extraordinary to find there is a record of the accounts of the two survivors. You wopuld have to think their stories were recorded somewhere for the Admiralty.

'HMSBombala-info seeker' date='Feb 16 2008, 09:30 AM' post='861961']

I am seeking any information relating to the sinking of the HMS Bombala (also known as Willow Branch) on April 25, 1918. I noticed a number of forum members had discussed it some years ago.

My great uncle Bernhard Anderson was the Lieutenant Commander of the Bombala and went down with his ship fighting to the end against two German submarines.

This year is the 90th anniversary of the sinking and his death and I want to commemmorate it for my mother - who lost four uncles in the Great War and another in WW2.

Lt Cmder Bernhard Anderson was a hero who, according to brief family history notes (which ared supported by accounts in the forums), ordered his remaining crew off the Bombala and joined his gunners.

Family notes say HMS Bombala was proceeding to Sierra Leone when two submarines opened fire... "The Bombala replied and made a running fight for two hours. When all the oficers and a number of crew had been killed and tghe ship was on fire and he could no longer navigate it, he ordered the remainder of the crew into the boats and went aft with the gunners and fought with his ship until she sank half and hour later. he was picked up badly wounded after the ship had sunk but died a few days later from exposure. Only two men out of the whole crew reached the shore to tell the story."

I would like to find pictures of the Bombala and, of course, any service record for my great uncle.It would be extraordinary to find there is a record of the accounts of the two survivors. You wopuld have to think their stories were recorded somewhere for the Admiralty

found this

WILLOW BRANCH, 25th April 1918, Central Atlantic, NE of the Cape Verde Islands, off Cape Blanco (now Ras Nouadhibou), Mauritania (20°50’N, 17°20’W) - sunk by German submarine cruisers "U-153" & "U-154". Q-ship "Willow Branch" (or "Bombola", or "Britannia", collier, 3,300grt, 2-14pdr, 1892) was sunk in a hard fought action with "U-153" and "U-154" each armed with two 10.5cm and two 8.8cm guns. They were working together off NW Africa at the time. "Willow Branch’s" complement is not known, but there were no survivors

She was a 3,314 ton steamer and had left Gibralter on April 18, 1918, for Sierra Leone. A week later, off the West African Coast, she sighted a submarine off the port quarter, and a few minutes later a second one off the starboard bow. Both submarines opened their attack with shells, this clas of submarine being armed with a couple of 5.9 guns. After about thirty rounds the enemy had found the range and then began to hit the ship repeatedly, carrying away the wireless and causing many casualties. Bombala shortened the range so that she could use her 4-inch and 14-pounder, and the action went on for two and a half hours. By that time Bombala was done for, and it was impossible to save the ship; so the crew were ordered into the boats, and then the ship foundered, bows first. However, the Q-ship had not sunk without severely damaging the enemy, for when the submarines came alongside Bombala's boats it was found that in one of the submarines there were seven killed and four wounded.

BOMBALA.jpg

found this picture on google

shirl

milford_lass' date='Feb 16 2008, 10:47 AM' post='862012']

I would like to find pictures of the Bombala and, of course, any service record for my great uncle.It would be extraordinary to find there is a record of the accounts of the two survivors. You wopuld have to think their stories were recorded somewhere for the Admiralty

found this

WILLOW BRANCH, 25th April 1918, Central Atlantic, NE of the Cape Verde Islands, off Cape Blanco (now Ras Nouadhibou), Mauritania (20°50'N, 17°20'W) - sunk by German submarine cruisers "U-153" & "U-154". Q-ship "Willow Branch" (or "Bombola", or "Britannia", collier, 3,300grt, 2-14pdr, 1892) was sunk in a hard fought action with "U-153" and "U-154" each armed with two 10.5cm and two 8.8cm guns. They were working together off NW Africa at the time. "Willow Branch's" complement is not known, but there were no survivors

She was a 3,314 ton steamer and had left Gibralter on April 18, 1918, for Sierra Leone. A week later, off the West African Coast, she sighted a submarine off the port quarter, and a few minutes later a second one off the starboard bow. Both submarines opened their attack with shells, this clas of submarine being armed with a couple of 5.9 guns. After about thirty rounds the enemy had found the range and then began to hit the ship repeatedly, carrying away the wireless and causing many casualties. Bombala shortened the range so that she could use her 4-inch and 14-pounder, and the action went on for two and a half hours. By that time Bombala was done for, and it was impossible to save the ship; so the crew were ordered into the boats, and then the ship foundered, bows first. However, the Q-ship had not sunk without severely damaging the enemy, for when the submarines came alongside Bombala's boats it was found that in one of the submarines there were seven killed and four wounded.

BOMBALA.jpg

shirl

casualty details

ANDERSON, BERNARDInitials:BNationality:United KingdomRank:LieutenantRegiment/Service:Royal Naval ReserveUnit Text:H.M.S. "Bombala."Age:33Date of Death:25/04/1918Additional information:Son of Capt. Andrew Anderson and Mrs. Anderson, of South Shields; husband of Nora Elizabeth Anderson, of "Miramar," 14, Dalmorton Rd., Wallasey, Cheshire.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:29.

Memorial:PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=3045716

shirl

ALFRED BENJAMIN Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

DAVIES JOHNS Seaman MMR HMS Bombala 2.5.18

FRANK TOBEY Seaman MMR HMS Bombala 2.5.18

G. BROWN Assistant Steward MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

J. MANNING Seaman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

J. TAYLOR Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

JAMES, Coker Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

JOE JOHNSON Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

JOE THOMAS Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

JOHANNES, Steward MMR HMS Bombala 25.4.18

JOHN COFFEE Seaman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

JOHN DAVIES Assistant Steward MMR HMS Bombala 2.5.18

JOHN M. ENGLE Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

JOHN MONROVIA Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 25.4.18

JOHN WILLIAMS Boatswain (Bosun) MMR HMS Bombala 2.5.18

JOHNSON WILLBRIGHT Assistant Cook MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

JOSEPH PARKES Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

MIKE WEST Chief Cook MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

PETER JOHNSON Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

SAMUEL FREEMAN Donkeyman MMR HMS Bombala 2.5.18

T. MACAULEY Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

T. PETER Seaman MMR HMS Bombala 3.5.18

THOMAS CO MMANDER Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

TOM AFRICA Fireman MMR HMS Bombala 26.4.18

TOM FREEMAN Seaman MMR HMS Bombala 2.5.18

WILLIAM TOBEY Seaman MMR HMS Bombala 2.5.18

ALLAN, Eric Hugh Sub-Lt RNR HMS Bombala killed 25.4.18

ANDERSON, Bernard Lt RNR HMS Bombala killed 25.4.18

COLE, Harold Arthur Engineer Lt RNR HMS Bombala killed 25.4.l8

DANIELS, Sidney Charles Boatswain (Bosun) RN HMS Bombala killed 25.4.18

MEE, Cecil Henry Lt RNR HMS Bombala killed 25.4.18

SANCTUARY, James Tompson Paymaster RNR HMS Bombala killed 25.4.18

GRAY, James Wilson ERA RNR 1991.EA (PO) HMS Bombala killed 25.4.18

HARRINGTON, Richard Ordinary Seaman RN J.39685 (D) HMS Bombala killed 25.18

KELLY, John Able Seaman RN 185016 © HMS Bombala killed 25.4.18

MAHER, Jacob AB RN SS.3118 HMS Bombala killed 26.4.18

McFARIANE, Albett Dugald ERA RNR 1863.EA HMS Bombala killed 25.4.18

McKENZIE, John Seaman RNR 5347.A HMS Bombala killed 25.4.18

MORGAN, Frederick AB RN 233963 HMS Bombala killed 26.4.18

PIPER, Bertie Alfred AB RN J, 2894 HMS Bombala killed 2.5.18

BAILEY, William Francis Ordinary Seaman RN J.58041© HMS Bombala killed 26.4.18

FRAZEER, Benjamin Slupwt2 c RN M .1169 © HMS Bombala killed 26.4.18

TAYLOR, Bruno Henry Edward Sign RN 214760(PO) HMS Bombala killed 2.5.18

TUMBELTY, George Edward PO RN 204156XQ HMS Bombala killed 25.18

WILCOX, Frank James AB RN J, 6802(PO) HMS Bombala killed 26.4.18

WILKINSON, Herbert AB RN J, 10484© HMS Bombala acc/drowned 19.4.17

Cheers on

What's your source, Silent Warrior? There are listings of killed 25.4 and 26.4. If both are correct (ie. if the action occurred either side of midnight), someone must have survived to tell who died when - although it seems unlikely that anyone would know for certain.

'Info Seeker' believes Bern(h)ard Anderson to have been a Lt Commander, but it seems he was probably the 'Lieutenant commanding'. His listed date of death also runs counter to the belief that he died several days after the action.

Also, what do we make of the deaths dated 2.5.18 (and one 3.5.18) ? Too soon for a second ship of the same name, so are these mis-transcriptions of 25.4.18 - or is there perhaps a lifeboat involved here?

I wonder whether Michael Lowrey has the KTBs of the two U-boats involved?

milford_lass' date='Feb 16 2008, 10:47 AM' post='862012']

found this

WILLOW BRANCH, 25th April 1918, Central Atlantic, NE of the Cape Verde Islands, off Cape Blanco (now Ras Nouadhibou), Mauritania (20°50'N, 17°20'W) - sunk by German submarine cruisers "U-153" & "U-154". Q-ship "Willow Branch" (or "Bombola", or "Britannia", collier, 3,300grt, 2-14pdr, 1892) was sunk in a hard fought action with "U-153" and "U-154" each armed with two 10.5cm and two 8.8cm guns. They were working together off NW Africa at the time. "Willow Branch's" complement is not known, but there were no survivors

BOMBALA.jpg

shirl

casualty details

ANDERSON, BERNARDInitials:BNationality:United KingdomRank:LieutenantRegiment/Service:Royal Naval ReserveUnit Text:H.M.S. "Bombala."Age:33Date of Death:25/04/1918Additional information:Son of Capt. Andrew Anderson and Mrs. Anderson, of South Shields; husband of Nora Elizabeth Anderson, of "Miramar," 14, Dalmorton Rd., Wallasey, Cheshire.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:29.

Memorial:PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=3045716

shirl

That was quick .. thanks very much Shirl!

My source is "The Cross of Sacrifice volumes V & IV"

PIPER, Bertie Alfred AB RN J, 2894 HMS Bombala killed should be 25.4.18. The others are what is written down, so I don't have an answer? Many are rememberd at Freetown Memorial, Sierra Leone.

Cheers Ron

Mick,

I do have U 153's KTB and will take a look at it. U 154 was sunk on patrol with all hands (torpedoed by a British submarine) on May 11, 1918. I would also suspect that both submarines were fitted with two 150mm guns, not two 105mm.

Best wishes,

Michael

The Willow Branch was owned by the Nautilis Steamship Company of Sunderland. All of its ships were "Branches". I have a teapot from the Plum Branch which is the ship built with the compensation money for the Willow Branch. In two weeks time I am meeting a gentleman from Austrailia who is the grandson of the family that owned the ship so he can have a look at the teapot.

Amazing coincidence

Regards

David

U153 was commisioned on 17/11/1917. Sank 4 ships with a total tonnage of 12,742. It was surrendered off the Ilse of Wight on 24/11/1918. And scuttled on 30/6/1921.

U154 was commisioned on dec/1917 . sank 6 ships total tonnage 13881. Eventually sunk by H.M.Submarine E35 on the 11/5/1918. All hands lost.

The Willow Branch was owned by the Nautilis Steamship Company of Sunderland. All of its ships were "Branches". I have a teapot from the Plum Branch which is the ship built with the compensation money for the Willow Branch. In two weeks time I am meeting a gentleman from Austrailia who is the grandson of the family that owned the ship so he can have a look at the teapot.

Amazing coincidence

Regards

David

Dear David

Amazed but thrilled to read of this connection. Obviously, given my hunt for details of the Bombala (Willow Branch) , I would be delighted to be put in contact with this person as well. His grandfather owned the ship - my great uncle literally defended it to the death. We have something special in common and information we can swap. I am waiting for documents from my mother's family in England that may throw more light on Lt Comder Bernhard Anderson's last hours on the Bombola.

Coincidentally I am Australian and am writing this from Sydney. The date of the sinking April 25 has strong poignancy in this country - it is ANZAC Day!. Would greatly appreciate it if you could put us in contact. My email address is danella@bigpond.net.au and mobile in Australia is 0438289133. If you or he could email me it would be perfect.

Best Regards

Max

HMS Bombala (Willow Branch) decoy ship, built for Howard Smith Co Ltd Melbourne. Sunk by U-153 and U154.

post-166-1203174886.jpg

Regards John

Thanks John .. much appreciated. Good photo. A major surprise to see the ship was built for a Melbourne company. As you will see from my other post to David, I am Australian ( English mother from extensive family) and now hope to catch up with the grandson of the owner of the Bombala (Willow Branch).

Regars Max

Hi,

one of the casualties, Lt. RNR Cecil H. Mee, was the former "3rd hand" of H/M submarine E.19 from summer 1915 to winter 1916/17.

Oliver

Amazing coincidence

Regards

David

Hello David .. wondering whether you got my last message?

Max

Yes got the message will contact you after my meeting

David

OK, I have scanned in the pages U 153's KTB describing the action. A very quick summary: U 154 was first in action. Seems that Bombala was being towed by a motor lighter which U 154 took to be a submarine and opened fire on it. From that an action between Bombala and U 154 develops, with Bombala unable to act as a Q-ship.

Unfortunately, the times in U 153's KTB are cut off but she scores a hit at 7600 meters range and then five more in quick succession. The steamer drops boats and is well afire. U 153 eventually finishes her off with a torpedo. U 154 suffered casualties in the action and U 153 sends her doctor and eventually transfers 4 seamen over.

If any one wants a copy of the scans, let me know.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hi,

a friend of mine had seen the War Diary of U 153 too.

I can add, that U 154 had captured an Lieutenant who claims to be the CO of BOMBALA (this men died with the crew of U 154).

The damage on U 154 results from an accident, the breech of the gun hit the detonator of the next shell to be fired... 8 dead, 5 wounded.

Oliver

I can add, that U 154 had captured an Lieutenant who claims to be the CO of BOMBALA (this men died with the crew of U 154).

Oliver

That officer was Sub-Lt. Eric Hugh Allan, who was from Cardiff. According to a local press report published some months later, he was taken prisoner by the U-boat because the Bombala's captain was wounded and the first officer had been killed. His date of death is given as 25/04/18, even though, as you say, he died later when U 154 was sunk.

Aneurin

That officer was Sub-Lt. Eric Hugh Allan, who was from Cardiff. According to a local press report published some months later, he was taken prisoner by the U-boat because the Bombala's captain was wounded and the first officer had been killed. His date of death is given as 25/04/18, even though, as you say, he died later when U 154 was sunk.

Aneurin

Would it be possible please to get a copy - or pointer - to that press story Aneurin? Not sure where my great uncle fits in - capatin or first officer or simply Lietenant Commander. . He was picked up an hour after the sinking but died a few days later from exposure according to family reecords. Two others survived so presume they told the story for local press.

Cheers max

Thanks Michael .. I would dearly like to have a copy of the scans. Not sure if you do this on the Forum or by email. if the latter, please use danella@bigpond.net.au

Appreciated Max

If any one wants a copy of the scans, let me know.

Best wishes,

Michael

If the dates of death posted by Silent Warrior earlier in the thread are broadly correct, I think we are still missing an element from this story, namely one or more lifeboats. Picked up after the sinking but died a few days later of exposure sounds like a lifeboat scenario to me. Similarly, if there were survivors, what did they survive in?

If the dates of death posted by Silent Warrior earlier in the thread are broadly correct, I think we are still missing an element from this story, namely one or more lifeboats. Picked up after the sinking but died a few days later of exposure sounds like a lifeboat scenario to me. Similarly, if there were survivors, what did they survive in?

maybe they were picked up by the accompanying motor lighter (as per earlier correspondent) but most likely lifeboats. Family notes talk of Anderson ordering the rest of the men into the boats before going back to man guns. Wondewr why only two survived. maybe all mortally wounded.