Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Watson bunker photos 1938

stripeyman

A seems to stand for Alberta, SJ for Sint Juliaan, W for Winnipeg ?

SJ2 is a detail of the one in the other thread (Melbines)

Correct. But one of the two is "mirrored". Which one ? The one Robert posted in # 50, or the 'detail' in # 48 ?

The answer is in the direction the trees are leaning. I think I need to look again at what was said in the other thread about # 50.

Aurel

I'd say the close up in #48 is correct way round as I only learned from Bob when he came here that I should from now on scan the negatives with glossy side up.

Pete,

No reason to disbelieve you, but I won't express an opinion. I am (was) just having problems with the way the trees are leaning (should be towards northeast). Robert M. explained things to me, and where the bunkers must have been, but I'm not sure I remember correctly.

But if you say that #48 was scanned the right (glossy) side up, I accept. ;)

Aurel

It does seem that she never looks at her husband George when inspecting the bunkers. She is obviosly there to add scale.I have a pic of her with husband and daughters and will try to get it on the Forum next week. Bob Grundy

Here we have the Watson family outside a caravan that was parked in their back garden in Radcliffe near Manchester.

Mrs Watson is/was quite a smart woman would you agree ? Pity she is never looking at the camera when in Belgium........Bob Grundy

post-18171-1205276597.jpg

Note the cemetry and the faint markings on the bunker......R 161 or has some else a suggestion ?

Bob Grundy

post-18171-1205360489.jpg

Can't be positive, but quite possibly/probably Minty Farm, with cemetery of same name behind. This blockhouse, in same group as Gournier farm and Grune farm, was numbered B I 6 by Thurlow. Regards, Peter

I am sure that the large house at the rear can be identified by some one who lives in the former Salient and in turn the bunker ????? Bob G

I am sure that the large house at the rear can be identified by some one who lives in the former Salient and in turn the bunker ????? Bob G

Sorry about this, the file was too big to upload, I will get it seen to..........Bob G

Envelope states B.1.3, any ideas chaps ? Bob Grundy

The interior of the last bunker posted

post-18171-1205882052.jpg

post-18171-1205882174.jpg

I know there is no bunker here but the envelpe states UHLAN FARM.

Perhaps some GWF pals who live in the area can identify the two young people photographed by Mr Watson in 1938, who now, if alive, be

in their eighties..........

Bob Grundy

post-18171-1206054741.jpg

I took the liberty of enlarging a portion of the negative with the youngsters at 9600 dpi, its obviously better for ID purposes.

I hope for their sakes they wore something on their feet, those prickly bits sticking up wouldn't be very pleasant.

post-31189-1206059959.jpg

These are stunning images.

I wonder how such good images can appear here, given the restrictions on bandwidth, or whatever mickey mouse thing it is that causes problems?

Bob...those marked AIII are/were a group of 36 opposite Wieltje (Cambrai Trench, Cambrai lane, Call Trench, Call Support), from the photo it looks like a group of small constructions (this was close to the front line) rather than the larger ones found futher back .

I think this is about wehere the motorway is today?

Regards, Peter

Bob,

Apologies for nitpicking ...

With regard to Goumier Farm Bunker (posting # 64), is it possible that while scanning it was mirrored ?

I recognized Goumier Farm bunker right when I saw it the first time, but then was not sure, as I did not see the British annex (new front side) added after it was captured by the British troops. And knowing that it is still there now ...

So I had a look at my own pics of the bunker, and true, the black/white pic appears to be mirrored ?

(I'm only asking because I have had the same problem with other pics in the Watson series, not feeling confident when trying to locate them.)

Aurel

post-92-1206370104.jpg