Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Watson bunker photos 1938

stripeyman

I am very encouraged that all of you are pleased with these Watson photos.

It takes time to sort them from the negs (a good friend Peter Constantinos converts them for me) there are many more to come.

The envelope on this one and a further one to come is PB1 9.

post-18171-1204069249.jpg

Bob, could be the cluster at BI 8, 9 and 10, which was Grune Farm, a half mile west of Kitcheners Wood (Thurlow says this was taken after heavy fighting by 6th Seaforths with help of tank G 50).

May also include your W4 post, although there must have been more than 1 field with corn stooks. The low lying one seems to have avoided shell fire, unlike the others. Regards, Peter.

This is W4, you can see Mrs Watson on the right.

:lol: Verry nice!!

You can see this stone in the middle of the pillbox! (white spot)(photo w4)

fotorestantvanbunkerww4.jpg

The German name of that bunker is 'Kazerne Haeseler', so the German name of the farm was Kazerne Haeseler because the pillbox was build later!

This is Kazerne Haeseler:

pondfarmkazernegrafhaesfk5.jpg

Hopefully you can find the hospital bunker in photo because my grandfather is searching 40 years after that!! ( and i 4 year) :):lol:

greetings

stijn

Here is another W5.....Bob G

this one is also very interesting! In our grassland right of the farm where also a lot of little pillboxes like on the w5 photo!!

Anyone an idea?

greetz,

stijn

The envelope states that this is Pond Farm, probably some part that that was demolished. Note the German helmet and British water bottle.

No doubt of interest to the presnt residents of that place................Bob Grundy

post-18171-1204241716.jpg

The envelope states that this is Pond Farm, probably some part that that was demolished. Note the German helmet and British water bottle.

No doubt of interest to the presnt residents of that place................Bob Grundy

Yes!!! I think that's a picture of the inside of our hospital bunker!!!

thank you veryy much bob!!! this can help me a lot!!!

Bob - St Eloi seems to ring a bell with that one for some reason.

These are really excellent images, and I hope you do something with them - an exhibition at somewhere like Zonnebeke museum would be great? I am sure they would be interested?

Hi, I would like to say that when I scan these for Bob, I then reduce them below 100k, but the originals are much bigger anywhere between 3 and 4 meg and even higher if need be for depth, of course it depends what resolution I scan them at.

I am sure I can arrange for a full size scan to be put into Zip or Rar file for downloading. I am sure they would be ideal for exhibits as they could be printed onto A3 or even bigger at a printing firm.

Please advise

Pete

Ashton-in-Makerfield

Wigan

Lancashire

Bob - St Eloi seems to ring a bell with that one for some reason.

These are really excellent images, and I hope you do something with them - an exhibition at somewhere like Zonnebeke museum would be great? I am sure they would be interested?

Paul

I will with 'AshtonPete' help get them onto the Forum first; so you all get a look at them and also find the locations.

This one has B.1.2. on the envelope. The dot between the letter and numbers maybe Mr Watsons way of writing the reference down.

post-18171-1204412641.jpg

Hi Bob,

Now i'm sure that the photograph with the helmet and the bottle inside the bunker the hospital bunker is at Pondfarm! My neighbour was in that bunker when he was Fourteen years old in the Second World War!!!

The photograph was taken in the first compartiment of the bunker!

There where Three Larges bunkers at pondfarm; Kazerne Graf Haeseler 2, the hospital bunker and kazerne haeseler 1 ( a verry large bunker 42 metres long near Sint-julien!) and i hope that Mr. Watson taked also a photograph of that one!?

Greetings,

Many many many thanks!

Stijn

Hello Bob. The corrugated bunker with reference P B IV.....this Thurlow/Watson reference number is the ones which were at Beck house/Borry farm, that doesn't seem the correct style or general surroundings. Does look British, but can't think of one which would match this today. Not the one which is still at St Eloi.

The last post, the bunker with the reference B .I .2 was at Iron Cross, near Pilkem. the 38th Welsh Division took it off the Guards Fusilier Regiment (Berlin Cockchafers). As it was just behind the 1918 withdrawal line it was presumably reused by the British in the summer of 1918.

Regards, Peter

Most interesting topic ! I will take a close look at it all also, and see if any comparison is possible with today's bunkers I have.

Hello Bob. The corrugated bunker with reference P B IV.....this Thurlow/Watson reference number is the ones which were at Beck house/Borry farm, that doesn't seem the correct style or general surroundings. Does look British, but can't think of one which would match this today. Not the one which is still at St Eloi.

The last post, the bunker with the reference B .I .2 was at Iron Cross, near Pilkem. the 38th Welsh Division took it off the Guards Fusilier Regiment (Berlin Cockchafers). As it was just behind the 1918 withdrawal line it was presumably reused by the British in the summer of 1918.

Regards, Peter

Thank you Peter, I will make a note of this on the envelope....Bob G

Yet again Mrs Watson is seen inspecting the bunker, do we know of any female so interested ?

This is B12.

post-18171-1204585503.jpg

Regards, Peter

Do we know if the pictures still exist of Beck House and Borry Farms, areas of great significance our locality.

BernardP

Bernard, there was a photo of borry farm on the forum a little while ago, I'm sure a search would reveal it, any problems let me know and I'll re-post, Regards Peter

Mebu

Thanks, I have the Borry Farm photo but am also interested in Beck House Farm. Haven't been able to trace one of Beck House anywhere.

Bernard

The envelope only states St Julien, so this and subsequent ones will be known as SJ 1, SJ 2 etc.

SJ 2

post-18171-1204810825.jpg

post-18171-1204811022.jpg

I went to find

EGYPT HOUSE yesterday, using LinesMan, but was very disapointed to find nothing but sheep.

Egypt House is just south of the Houthulst Forest.

The picture is from the 1/7th NF History

I also went looking for Japan House, with similar results.

Guy

post-12226-1204812201.jpg