Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Look ups etc - Mesopotamia

mikemeso

Lionboxer,

I unfortunately do not have the Norfolk’s Regimental History but the following may be of interest.

Battle of Barjisayah Wood 14 Apr 1915 (3rd day of Battle of Shaiba).

Norfolks formed part of 18th Brigade. After two days of fighting Gen Mellis decided to attack Turkish positions in the vicinity of Barjisayah Wood.

Advance began between 1130 and noon and proceeded for about 1 mile without incident but by 1230 front line was hotly engaged with rifle and machine gun fire at effective ranges. Enemy line being 900 yards from the Dorsets to 400 yards from 120th. Gap between 24th and the Norfolks had grown to some 1200 yards. Turk trenches where at an angle to the advance and faced upwards on a glacis-like slope leading down past them to the wood and opened heavy fire as regiments cleared the skyline. The second Turk line was some 600 yards back, particularly well sighted and concealed amongst scrub and against the background.

By 1300 Norfolks and 24th Punjabis had managed to push slightly forward and were able to lie down to return fire. The gap between the 16th and 18th Brigades however remained large and attempts to close it had failed.

The fight resolved into an intense fire fight all along the front line. The heat was extreme and heavy casualties being endured.

At 1530 Melliss called for a fresh effort and a little more ground was gained under extremely close artillery support despite a mirage hindering the gunners. Captain de Gray, Adjutant of 2nd Norfolks managed at great personal risk to signal the gunners to shorten their range and eventually 63rd Battery RFA ‘embedded’ a liaison officer (Lt Gilpin RA) into the Norfolk’s firing line to direct the fire with the result that a well placed shell put out of action a Turkish machine gun section that had been particulary annoying and responsible for many casualties. By 1600 decisive progress had still not been made and Melliss took precautionary measures to cover a retirement. Shortly after though the Turkish guns fell silent and resistance seemed to weaken. British forces were now within 200 yards of the Turkish first line trenches and about 1615 parties all along the line dashed into the enemy trenches. The line was so extended by this time that it proved impossible to decide who got first in. By 1700 the entire first line was taken and as the men caught their breath prior to assaulting the second line (note the two trenches were not connected by communication trenches) white flags began to appear and almost immediately a mass of fugitives was seen streaming out of the wood. The artillery was unable to take full advantage of this target due to lack of ammunition.

Mellis had planned to call off the attack if position not carried by 1730 but even so ordered a retirement back to Shaiba. This commenced at 1800 and all troops including wounded were back in the camp by 2030. The infantry had lost 20% of the 4900 engaged – 120th (29%), 24th (27%), Dorsets (23%). Melliss called it a real ‘Soldiers’ Battle’.

Mike

Thank you very much for that Mike, it's "fleshed" out a little more of what we know. Any reference to Norfolks casualties? Also any luck with my other query about the Special Ammunition Column? This is a real poser!!

Lionboxer

Mike

I'm interested in any information on the RE in Mesopotamia 1918-19. My grandfather Spr. JG Wilkinson WR554135 (previously 320117) after being a medical discharge from the CEF(1084129) in June 1917 enlisted with the Engineers and was sent to the middle east. I have some pictures of himself, commrades and local people that he photographed but have no idea what his last year of the war would have been like. The title in your library, The Inland Water Transport in Mesopotamia by Hall is intriguing as I suspect this is the unit in which he served.

Thanks

Graham Coutts

Mike

Thank you for the offer of look ups

I am looking for anything on 2nd Lt Norman Hampson, 6th Battalion Loyal North Lancs, died 15/2/1917.

All i know is that he died in the Battle of Dahra bend,

anything at all would be most appreciated

cheers

Nick

Hi Mike

I noticed that in your book list you did not know the author of

With a Highland Regiment in Mesopotamia it was written by H. J. Blampied

Regards

Fred

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the offer of look ups - some fantastic stuff has come up in this thread.

I am interested in anything relating to my Great Uncle Private 204164 AV Sweet 1/4 Hampshire Regt KIA 25.02.1917 at the Crossing Of the Tigris.

Anything at all about this action or the Hants in Mespot in general would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hello Mike,

wonder if you can be of any help. my wifes grandfather John William Flower from Sheffield was involved in the Mesopotamia campaign with armoured cars, his one Cleopatra being the only original one from his unit to survive. I've got some photos and postcards, mentioning Basra, Hit, Nepal, the Tigris, Gwalior, HMS Torpedo boat 98, Chaldians in Mosul, Ramadi, Abu Kemmel, Nazareth,Baghdad... there are some pictures of armoured cars, and tractors, one being identified as "one of 901's". He was an engineer who worked with rolls royce, and was involved with the taking of baghdad and the advance up to the khyber pass. He was allegedly involved with 6 Land Armoured Brigade?? but this doesnt ring any bells so could be a battery number? not sure whether he would be an RE...,

thanks , matt

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Mike,

wonder if you can be of any help. my wifes grandfather John William Flower from Sheffield was involved in the Mesopotamia campaign with armoured cars, his one Cleopatra being the only original one from his unit to survive. I've got some photos and postcards, mentioning Basra, Hit, Nepal, the Tigris, Gwalior, HMS Torpedo boat 98, Chaldians in Mosul, Ramadi, Abu Kemmel, Nazareth,Baghdad... there are some pictures of armoured cars, and tractors, one being identified as "one of 901's". He was an engineer who worked with rolls royce, and was involved with the taking of baghdad and the advance up to the khyber pass. He was allegedly involved with 6 Land Armoured Brigade?? but this doesnt ring any bells so could be a battery number? not sure whether he would be an RE...,

thanks , matt

I have had a post on the soldiers section of the GWF but with little succes so i will try this thread and hope for any clues or help which would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to find out about the military career of William Harold Roberts, who served in the Great War from 1914 i believe (could be wrong about this but i think it would be fairly early) all i do know is that he lost a leg apparantly in the Mesoptamia campaign. He was a soldier but cant find a regiment or number for him. He was born in 1896 in Aston, Birmingham and by 1911 i believe the family lived in Burton upon Trent. I dont know what regiments served in Mes or what actually happened there and cannot find a helpful book or web page that seems to cover the campaign. Perhaps if i knew what regiments served in Mes i could re search the medal cards and try and match them with a William H Roberts ( although many of these appear to be William Henry according to the pension records. Please can anybody help.......

Hi Mike,

Have you any details on 14th Bty, 4th Brigade RFA. I have Farndale's "Forgotten Fronts.." Looking to confirm when they arrived (Jan 1916?) and left (June 1918?) and principal operations.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mike

Seems you are the man to come to for information on Mesopotamia. I'm researching some information on my great uncle Francis William Down, who died on 14th June 1918 in Meso, and is mentioned on the Basra memorial. Up until 1 week ago we had always been told he had died at sea, and had no idea about the Mesopotamia situation. It seems from around 13 photos he took that he was in India in 1916 (Barackpore and Barcatcha are mentioned), having joined the teritorials in 1915 (I think the Devonshires but purely a guess as he enlisted in Exeter). He even has photos of 2 (maybe 3) other guys, Billy Ide (with horse Rosie), and Jack Snell and Haydon (not sure if Haydon was the other person in photo or the horse!). Also a photo of "sub A gun", so we assume he was in A battery. After some research on this site, it seems when he died he was with 337th Brigade RFA, attached to 18th Indian Division. I'm really keen to find out which unit he was with when he joined up, when he was in India, and when he might have gone to Mesopotamia. Also, roughly where he might have been on 14th June 1918 (we were also told it as dysentry, which I understand got a lot of the guys there). Any information you have at all would be fantastic, and if anyone wants pdfs of the photos we have, let me know.

on my village war memorial i have 2 casualties for mesopotamia can you let me know what there regiments were up to on there dates of death.

john goulding 1st bn highland light infantry k.i.a 11/01/1917 buried amara war cemetery

thomas harrison 8th bn cheshire regiment k.i.a 13/021917 commemorated basra memorial.

any information on these 2 regiments would be welcome

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have three men connected with Mesopotamia

Major Everard Henderson died 6.1.1916

Leicestershire Regiment

Born Edinburgh, Scotland Died Tigris/Sheik Saad, Mesopotamia.

Sergeant George T Powell died 25.1.1917

North Staffs 7th Battalion

Born Burntwood

Captain Philip Wood, 33 died on April 5 1916 in Tigris/Baghdad as a POW

Educated at Wellington and Sandhurst and spent most of his time in Burma. He spoke fluent Japanese

Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks JPG

• 1 month later...

Mike

Ron Wilcox's book mentions a letter from a 7th Hussar to Townsend (Page 108). I suspect he got this from Sherson – 'Townshend of Citral and Kut'. Can you check if that source has any more information on the Hussars and if it mentions where this letter may be now found please?

Many thanks

Patrick

Hi Mike

If the offer is still open, my Great Uncle died in Iraq on 18 Feb 1916. He was in the 2nd Dorsets (I think) he had never been to the UK as he was Anglo Indian and went straight to Iraq from India. He is remembered at his School in Lucknow (I took pictures on a trip last year). He is commemorated on the Basra Memorial. I think he was involved in the Kut campaign, but my knowledge on this is sketchy. His death plaque (which I flukily inherited) has pride of place on my landing.

Any information whatsoever will be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Agh57,

What was your relations name?

History of the Dorsets states that on the evening 18th Feb whilst the composite 'Norset' regiment were in the lines opposite El Hanna the Turks attempted to retake a trench and were beaten off. The battalion was relieved that night having suffered about twenty casualties including 3 Dorsets killed.

If you can provide the name I may be able to establish which draft he was in and additional information on his movements prior to his death.

Please be aware that I currently have limited opportunities to have computer access along side my books.

Mike

Hello Mike ,

I have a distant relative who was killed in Mesopotamia. He was Private William Lovering 2005 , 4th Btn Devonshire Rgt aged 22 and was killed on 16/9/1916 and is buried in Bagdad Cemetery. Anything you can add above CWGC would be very much appreciated. I guess his gravestone no longer exists ?

Regards

Alan

Patrick,

Ron's statement is slightly wrong (sorry Ron). Sherson actually says that ... A private of the 7th Hussars has TOLD ME that while in hospital, weakened from pain and the loss of his leg.... As the 7th did not arrive in Mes until Dec 1917 the man must have been an exchanged prisoner of war or Sherson got the Regiment wrong.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

May I thank you, and take up for the kind offer of help re: Mesopotamia.

I am trying to research my gypsy Great Grandad - all I have are family recollections of his service in Mesopotamia and his medal card. Unfortunately his Service Record is not at Kew. Apparantly he was wounded (shot) in the knee and also served in India after the war. From his date of entry I am guessing he was involved in the 2nd battle of Kut?

ANY help at all would be more than appreciated. I do not even know which Battalion of the Seaforths he served with.

Thank you VERY much.

Charlie.

post-38356-1222508527.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

I have been researching my Great Grandfathers world war one experience and wondered if you can help.

His name was Gnr (promoted to Corp) Thomas Peaty 59875 who served with the R.F.A. I think he was in the 1/5th Hampshire 216th Bde (Howitzers) who joined the 6th Poona Division from the Wessex Division in March 1915. He appears in the roll of honour which states he served in France from the beginning (He joined the army in 1909) and was then transferred to Mesopotamia. He fought in the capture of Amara and the battle of Ctesiphon. It then says he was discharged in March 1918. He has cap badges for the Royal Artillery, Hampshire Regiment and Devonshire Regiment.

I would like to know how he got back from Mesopotamia and what happened after the battle of Ctesiphon. It doesn't mention Kut on his roll of honour but was this delibretly missed off?. On his MIC it states he was eligible for the SWB (LE1119) so does this mean he was injured? Could he have been a prisoner of war?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

• 1 month later...
Guest Richard somerset

Dear Mike

I have just discovered my great uncle Private Richard Clent 43115 died of his wounds on 8 December 1917 and was buried in Basra war cemetry. He was serving in the 40th Company Machine Gun Corps Infantry, which appears to have been part of 40th Brigade in the 13th Division. He enlisted in Shrewsbury into the Shropshire Light Infantry no 3248. Is there any information on what 40th Company was doing between 24 Oct 1916 and December 1917?

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Richard somerset

Hi Mike,

I am researching our Great Grandfather, William Godfrey Swindells, no 16985 of the 6th Loyal North Lancs. He was in the Dardanelles and after the evacuation went to Mesopotamia. He died of wounds 19/4/16 with the entry Biet Aiessa. Can you give me any details of the 6th Loyals involvment or any other information on Beit Aiessa. Can you recommend any books I can get that outline this battle ? Thank you.

Regards Karen Swindells

Hi Mike,

I have just seen your offer for look ups on the Mesopotamian campaign. I have just discovered that my grandfather, Lionel Walter Long, served in Mesopotamia in the Royal Engineers Inland Waterways Transport. He was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal which was Gazetted on 22nd September 1919. At that time his regimental number was given as WR/552128 and his rank was "Spr (A/C SM). His medal card states "registered paper 68/GenNo/3451". I wondered whether your book

Hall – The Inland Water Transport in Mesopotamia might mention anything about him as I have been unable to find why he was awarded the medal.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Claire Fraser