Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postern

manxman

I'v been lucky enough to inherit a WWI diary belonging to my G Grandfather. He was captured and was held in Belgium and Germany. In the diary there are several references to "postern(s)". From the context of the entries I would suppose that this is another name for a camp guard. Has any one else come across this expression (is it merely an English word that has dropped out of usage?)

Whilst on the subject of Camp guards, were there a particular Corps that the Germans used to guard POWS?

many thanks

'Postern gate' is to be found on many plans of old fortifications, such as castle and town walls. It derives from French, and means a back or rear, or private, gate. I don't know about its usage in the German Army, but I would assume it means a guard assigned to the back entrance(s) of the camp.

MANXMAN

In a castle a postern is a sort of secret sidegate which could be used at times of siege.O.E.D. states POSTERN back door;sideway or entrance.Is it posible that there were secret doors to get out,or,more likely that there were doors that theGermans thought were secret that the English put guards to in order to keep a eye on the Germans?

I hope this helps and doesnot cloud the understanding.

CHEERS.

JOHN.

thanks for the responses folks. The context of the mentions do point to "guard" (references to "leave," attempts to buy food from POWS, etc - nothing as technical or specific as a particular post, etc). I was guesssing it might be similar to "posting a guard"

Anyone with any other ideas?

• 3 months later...

I've now seen reference in Richard Van Emden's "Prisoners of the Kaiser" to Postern. It is another name for a camp guard.

I'v been lucky enough to inherit a WWI diary belonging to my G Grandfather. He was captured and was held in Belgium and Germany. In the diary there are several references to "postern(s)". From the context of the entries I would suppose that this is another name for a camp guard. Has any one else come across this expression (is it merely an English word that has dropped out of usage?)

Whilst on the subject of Camp guards, were there a particular Corps that the Germans used to guard POWS?

many thanks

"Rambling Sid Rumpo", aka Kenneth Williams, would have known exactly what your grandfather meant. He sings of a "postern" in "The Ballad of the Woggler's Mooly".

See here: http://www.scbd.connectfree.co.uk/flops/wogglers-mooly.html

In fortress terminology, the Postern or Postern Gate, was a small gate in the wall, where the defenders could slip in and out, hopefully unnoticed. The gates themselves were guarded by a sentry.

Terry Reeves