Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 14.02.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualty to its Debt of Honour database today – Thursday 14th February

Gnr Thomas YOUNG

11430 Australian Field Artillery

Died 28.06.19 Age 27

Buried: Sydney (Waverley) General Cemetery, NSW, Australia

NOT FORGOTTEN

Just had a look at Thomas' online service file. A couple of interesting things in there. He was medically discharged from the Army in November 1918 after suffering a Gun Shot Wound to the right forearm/wrist. A lot of the acompanying notes I can't read but it would appear that this caused the lose of movement in his fingers. i assume that his death was connected in some way to this wound.

Thomas also appears to have been what you would call a bit of a rogue. He committed an unspecified offence at sea when he first left Australia & forfeited 5 shillings in pay. He then went AWOL in Cairo after landing in Egypt. There was a further instance of AWOL in England during 1916 after he'd been hospitialised for Bronchitis (He went missing for 2 hours - I Reckon probably back late from the pub or something similar) - He was docked a days wages for that. He overstayed leave in 1917 by 3 days which resulted in more pay lost & did the same in 1918 this time overstaying by 2 days. Given the relatively light penalties for the offences my guess the reasoning would have been nothing more than over indulgence in all things soldiers got up to on leave.

Somewhat poignantly there is also a letter from a J Gillies, the Inspector of the Department of Agriculture & Stock to the Officer in command of records. It was requesting details of Thomas' whereabouts as they needed to contact him regarding a matter of an urgent & extremely beneficial nature. The letter is dated the 10th May 1920 - Thomas had already been dead for nearly a year.