Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leave For Brits Capturing German Stormtroopers?

Guest Geheime Feldpolizei

I recently read in the Third Reich era German book (about the exploits of German soldiers in WW I) that British soldiers successfully capturing a member of a German Stormtroop unit qualified for "a special two week leave in Cornwall."

Can anyone confirm this story? If possible, please provide a citation for your source. If not, perhaps some Forum members might have some suggestions as to where I might look to research this topic?

Thanks!

I have reports in a number of AIF units that any prisoner was worth some form of leave for their captor.

Of cause this became less so later in the war as more and more germans were captured.

But I have seen no coments about Storm Troopers in particular.

S.B

By August they were surrendering in droves, I do not think this remotly possible because of British manpower shortage and the huge # of prisoners.

Hello,

I know that British soldiers that escaped from their imprisonment got 1 month leave in Britain.

Jan

For those who have posted in response to my initial query, I thank you.

I am equally skeptical of this claim which is why I am seeking your help. I realize, of course, that by late in the war significant numbers of German soldiers were surrendering. You must remember, however, that we are talking about STORMTROOPERS -- a formation which was made to feel elite and, consequently, less willing to surrender. The claim, published in a post-WWI German book, that British soldiers got "special leave" may simply be hyperbole aimed at embellishing the perceived "value" of a captured stormtrooper to their erstwhile enemy.

I remain interested in hearing from anyone else who can shed some light on this topic.

Thanks!

Yes Mate,

I can see why the capture of a stormtrooper in say April/May 1918 would be of interest to find out how these new tactic's work.

But I can find no mention of any order in the AIF to say there was any reward for their capture.

The only mention was a soldier from the 5th Bavarian Regt captured by the 2Bn AIF was of some interest. But I don't know if he was a Stormtrooper or from a Storm Division. Purhaps one of the others may confirm this?

S.B

There was an instance of troops from the 7th Brigade AIF being sent on leave to England after a particularly successful raid in which they captured prisoners and secured much information.

They were nicknamed 'The Black Anzacs' and had much press at the time.

P.S

I did find something of intest in the history of the 30th Bn AIF.

It mentions the types of orders coming down to them from the British Command at the time May/June 1918.

This includes complaints about game shooting by the AIF,

Shorts, the habit in the AIF of cutting down their trousers,

damage to crops, to safe guard all civy crops,

Dress on Leave,

Bounds, troops entering places they should not be,

Looting, about reports of such,

dress of troops in trenches, aussies were wearing civy items of dress while in the trenches,

Improper use of explosives, while fishing and

bounds, in relation to the French troops and the mixing by the AIF.

But there is no mention of anything about stromtroopers only the capture of any prisoners in General.

S.B

You must remember, however, that we are talking about STORMTROOPERS -- a formation which was made to feel elite and, consequently, less willing to surrender. The claim, published in a post-WWI German book, that British soldiers got "special leave" may simply be hyperbole aimed at embellishing the perceived "value" of a captured stormtrooper to their erstwhile enemy.

You need to be somewhat careful when interpreting information about stormtroopers. Junger's works ('Storm of Steel' and 'Copse 125') illustrate the characteristics of many stormtroopers. However, Renn's book ('War') is a salutary reminder that not all stormtroopers were equal. Formations that were derived from Jager units or from the elite infantry divisions would have carried forward the best of these traditions into the stosstruppen. However, less able infantry divisions could create stosstruppen that were less capable.

There is at least one case i know of where leave was granted for the capture of a german, this being to a man called Timoney as i recall) of the 10th Scottish Rifles, who bagged a german through hitting him on the head with a brick and dragging him back. This was in the ruins at Blagny St Laurent, in the 15th div sector south of the Scarpe at Arras, and was just before the 1917 offensive. He was granted 10 days special leave ( and missed the opening days of the battle) and the german concerned was described as 'stupid' in the Army intelligence summary!

The lines were very close at this point and someone else had tried to 'bag a hun' the day before.

Adam

• 11 years later...

There was an instance of troops from the 7th Brigade AIF being sent on leave to England after a particularly successful raid in which they captured prisoners and secured much information.

Do you have any further information on the "Black Anzacs"? My grandfather took part in the raid.

Thanks

• 10 months later...

The raid took place on the night of the 6th June 1916, and all those who took part had leave in the the UK. My Grandfather was among them. There is an excellent website at blackanzacs.org.au

What is this based on?

You need to be somewhat careful when interpreting information about stormtroopers. Junger's works ('Storm of Steel' and 'Copse 125') illustrate the characteristics of many stormtroopers. However, Renn's book ('War') is a salutary reminder that not all stormtroopers were equal. Formations that were derived from Jager units or from the elite infantry divisions would have carried forward the best of these traditions into the stosstruppen. However, less able infantry divisions could create stosstruppen that were less capable.

• 7 years later...

There is a book :

The Black ANZACs: The AIFs First Trench Raid on the Western Front, by Doug Walsh, which details the raid and lists those who took part.