Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Canadian General Hospital

hmsk212

Hi

I have a trio to a Machine Gun Corps Officer, the pair are as a 2nd Lieutenant and the 14/15Star is as a Corporal. I am trying to find out more about his service as the Corporal. He was 345 Corporal Hugh Arthur Egan of the Canadian Army Medical Corps. He enlisted on 03/03/1915 and entered France on 17/06/1915. He served with the 3rd Canadian General Hospital until getting his Commission on 26/09/1917. If possible could someone let me know the location of the hospital.

Cheers

Steve

Hi,

From Love's A Call to Arms:

No 3 General hospital opened August 1915 with 2,000 beds at Camiers France.

Moved in May 1916 to Boulogen with 1,090 beds

November 1916 to Doullens 1,090 beds

'Early 1918' back to Boulogne 2,000 beds

Spring 1918 used as a CCS still in Bouogne, apparently (?)

The 3rd recruited from McGill University and your man's service number is in the range of the alloted serial numbers they mobilised at Montreal. They don't seem to have sailed with the first contingent of the CEF.

Take care,

Neil

Neil,

I have looked again at his file and he did indeed enlist in Montreal. He came from 257 Duroche Street, Montreal and his civilian occupation at age 19 was Stenographer/Book Keeper. He arrived with the CEF in England on 15/05/1915 aboard, I think it is, SS Metajema or something similar, it is a bit of a job to decipher. His numerical position on the roll of NCOs was 26th. He enlisted on 09/03/1915 was made Lance Corporal on 23/03/1915, Corporal on 01/04/1915 and Sergeant on 23/12/1915, pretty rapid promotion. Thanks once again for your info.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve and Neil:

The following made up the first medical contingent which sailed from Canada on October 3, 1914:

No. 1 Field Ambulance (aboard the Megantic)

No. 2 Field Ambulance (aboard the Laurentic)

No. 3 Field Ambulance (aboard the Tunisian)

No. 1 Casualty Clearing Station (aboard the Megantic)

No. 1 General Hospital (aboard the Scandinavian)

No. 2 General Hospital (aboard the Franconia)

No. 1 Stationary Hospital (aboard the Athenia)

No. 2 Stationary Hospital (aboard the Scotian)

No. 1 Sanitary Section

No. 3 General Hospital was part of the second medical contingent. "No. 3 General Hospital was the especial product of McGill University. It was mobilized in Montreal, March 5, 1915, under Colonel H. S. Birkett and arrived in England May 15; it was employed on duty at Moore Barracks until June 15, upon which date it left for France on June 16, and opened at Camiers on June 19, where it remained until January 5, 1916."* They were in Boulogne from January 6, 1916 to May 19, 1919.

There is a fantastic 274 page history about No.3 CGH 'No. 3 Canadian General Hospital (McGill), 1914-1919' By R. C. Fetherstonhaugh, published in 1928.

Steve, regarding Hugh Egan's rapid promotion, according to the book mentioned below it wasn't uncommon for rapid promotions in the Canadian Army Medical Corps during WWI. This includes O.R.'s and officers.

* 'History Of The Canadian Forces 1914-19: Medical Services' by Sir Andrew MacPhail, published by the Department of National Defence in 1925.

Garth

Hi Garth,

Many thanks for all of the information you have posted it is a most welcome addition to my files on Hugh Egan.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Regarding Garths remarks about early promotions I am aware of one young man 32979 John Wilfred Mckay who died of wounds on 26/04/1915 at the remarkable age of 16 as a Sergeant with the 2nd Canadian Field Ambulance.

Also sister Evelyn Verrall Mckay who died if France at age 27 on 04/11/18 with the 3rd Canadian General hospital.

Ken

Regarding Garths remarks about early promotions I am aware of one young man 32979 John Wilfred Mckay who died of wounds on 26/04/1915 at the remarkable age of 16 as a Sergeant with the 2nd Canadian Field Ambulance.

Also sister Evelyn Verrall Mckay who died if France at age 27 on 04/11/18 with the 3rd Canadian General hospital.

Hi Ken:

I don't know if you have these McKay/MacKay's on your list. The information comes from the book I quoted from in my last post:

34491 Cpl. Albert Victor MacKay

Originally with No. 5 Field Ambulance

KIA May 19, 1918

Attestation papers can be viewed here.

211141 Pte. Charles Gordon McKay

Originally with 98th Battalion

KIA May 19, 1918

32979 Sgt. John W. Mckay

Originally with No. 2 Field Ambulance

DOW April 24, 1915 (don't know why there's a two day discrepancy in the date of death)

Nursing Sister E. V. McKay is listed as having died of disease while serving.

Garth

Edited by mordac

I don't know if you have these McKay/MacKay's on your list. The information comes from the book I quoted from in my last post:

34491 Cpl. Albert Victor MacKay

Originally with No. 5 Field Ambulance

KIA May 19, 1918

211141 Pte. Charles Gordon McKay

Originally with 98th Battalion

KIA May 19, 1918

Hello Garth,

Yes I was aware of them and I have always thought that it was remarkable and very sad that two young men of the same age (23), surname and fairly small unit were both killed together on the same day and are buried in graves next to each other.

At first I thought that they might be brothers but not so as one came from Montreal and one from Nova Scotia, Perhaps distant relations like cousins.

Perhaps it was just that they gravitated towards each other with their common heritage. (Canadian Scots).

Regards Ken.