Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Vagrant Lady

bonsai

Hi,

Has any one any information on HMS Vagrant Lady ?

My Grandfather Richard James Hyde was on board from 11th October 1939 Southampton - 16th February 1940.

The Description of voyage was stated as OHMS ( T124 ).

Thanks.

Hi shipwright,

Welcome to the Forum.

She first saw service in WW1 as the Hired Yacht VAGRANT, completed 1903, 440 tons gross, pendant no. 08, service from 25/9/1914 to 1/2/1919.

For WWII she was requisitioned as an Anti-submarine Yacht & named LADY VAGRANT [not VAGRANT LADY], pendant no. FY.016, became VRYSSIE [1940], returned 2/1940.

Hope this helps,

ARABIS.

Hi Shipwright,

OHMS [T124].

In both wars Mercantile Marine ratings usually served under T124 articles, which meant that although under naval control, they retained their merchant service ratings & status. OHMS I presume is On His Majesty's Service.

• 3 years later...

A bit :huh: overdue, but here is some additional information on the ship.

In July 1945 she was sold to Greek interests and raised the Panamanian flag. She remained laid up in Wales.

She was raised in 1948 and repaired by new italian owners as the G.M.ANGIOU

In 1964 she was downgraded to a barge.

I would be interest to see any photos if available.

• 7 years later...

In 1914 Vagrant was commanded by Lieutenant Commander Philip Herbert, Royal Naval Reserve (seniority 22.9.1914), with Sub-Lieutenants RNR (N)GJ Gibbon (3.10.1914) & Harry Samuelson (28.9.1914) and Assistant Engineer George Sheaf RNR (28.9.1914). I have Samuelson's 1914-15 Star. I suspect that he was later an Acting Captain Company Commander in the 9th Londons (Queen Victoria's Rifles), and his birth name was 'Horace'. Looking in to that today !

• 3 months later...

If it's of interest, in the report of Lieut. M.Buist, CO of the Chausseur base at Marvin's Yard, Cowes, of the events of the night of 4/5 May 1942, during the notorious 'Cowes Blitz', he states that "Lieutenant J.A. Wingate, R.N., the Commanding Officer of HM Chausseur 5 asked my permission to manoeuvre his ship alongside the Lady Vagrant in order to run a hose along her deck and this conduct a frontal attack on the fire in No. 3 Block. As the tide was on the flood, and this did not seriously endanger the Chausseur, I instructed him to proceed. The manoeuvre was carried out in a most seamanlike manner without damage to the ship. After passing out the hose, Chasseur 5 was able to haul herself clear of Lady Vagrant and secure to one of the mooring buoys, where she then resumed her highly effective 2pdr. barrage." - copied verbatim from C.A.F.O. 587/40 'Report of Enemy Air Attack on Chausseur Base, Cowes.