Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield Pilgrimage Souvenirs

Guest Tussles

In the literature on pilgrimages I have come across a reference to pilgrims who brought back a little handful of earth, enclosed in an urn, and placed it at the foot of certain monuments. Pilgrimages have always been accompanied by the purchase of souvenirs, and shrewd merchants quickly mass-produced little terracotta urns in the form of milestones from the “sacred road” to Verdun, complete with helmets and palms, bearing the inscription, “This milestone contains a bit of sacred earth from Verdun.” Similar urns were also offered supposedly containing earth from the Somme, presumably aimed at British pilgrims.

I shall be most grateful if someone can post a picture of these French and UK souvenirs and tell me more or where I can find more information?

I believe this is what you are looking for - this is a French example from my collection - picked up in France a few years ago very cheaply. Still sealed at the base and complete with the earth inside - or perhaps any old stuff they had lying around at the time!!! :lol:

I have not found anything documented on these but here are some pictures anyway:

post-19-1075644957.jpg

To: Giles Poilu,

Fantastic! Thank you very much indeed.

Hope somebody else might add a UK example and a literature source but his is a GREAT start.

Tussles