Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

?troopship Caesarea

JulianB

Does anybody have any information about a ship called the Caesarea, or know where I could look it up. It certainly took troops from Southampton to Le Havre 16th/17th June 1916. I tried to look in embarcation lists at the PRO but at that date (WO 25/3545) the catalogue was only for eastern ports (India etc). Does that mean that as there was too much traffic they didn't keep them all. I've also found that arr 17.6.16 there was something called a Landing Return 5807 - what was that and were they - LRs - kept anywhere !?

(on 16/17.6.16 Caesarea carried the men, Bellerophon carried equipment etc)

any help much appreciated

thanks

Julian

Julian,

Nothing certain I'm afraid, but by 'google'ing around a bit I have the following

SS Caesarea, 1504 tons, built 1910: from the Australian Nat. Maritime Library

also

'A History of US Army Base Hospital No.48' mentions their crossing from Southampton to Le Havre 13 July 1918 on SS Caesarea "a small channel steamer"

also

some Russian chap collecting cigarette cards lists one as showing SS Caesarea 1910 in the "Channel Island Mailboat" series

Not much, but its a start

Regards

Michael D.R.

Julian,

Supposing that the sites which I mentioned previously are correct [ie: built 1910, about 1504 (or 1512) tons and previously 'a small channel steamer'] then this looks like it might be your ship, "TSS Manx Maid ex Caesarea" see here

regards

Michael D.R.

Thank you all very much. I started "googling" too & yes I think the 1910 the most probable. Yes, I think I was awaree that NMM have some sort of database - I live quite near so will go & check sometime.

However, although background info is very welcome, what I'm really after of course - in the absence of 'embarcation details' is ? log books, - where might they be. I'll try NMM. Great photo, my grandfather - who was on it 16/17.6.1916 described it as a 'small' ship/boat.

As for the Bellerophon, there are far too many web sites - virtually all about Napoleon (that's what I thought of first too - no, I didn't, I thought about Alexander the Great's horse first !!)

thanks

Julian

ps Michael why the difference between 1504 and 1512 tons, forgive the ignorance of a landlubber

As for the Bellerophon, there are far too many web sites - virtually all about Napoleon (that's what I thought of first too - no, I didn't, I thought about Alexander the Great's horse first !!)

go on then: try Copenhagen and Boanerges for mounts.

Answers on a postcard .........

Aha - getting seriously 'off topic' - C was Wellington's horse, but B stumps me (in an equine sense), sons of Zebedee I know, somebody else's horse ! I'd be tempted to say Naploeon, but his was Marengo - unless he had another.

I should have been clever & tried to look it up first .......

..... but back to boats !!!!!!!

ps Michael why the difference between 1504 and 1512 tons, forgive the ignorance of a landlubber

Julian,

Sorry for the delay in answering but this machine has been in dock for a brain transplant; I'm still not sure everything is ok - perhaps its the gas?

I cannot explain the difference in the weight, but I see that she was changed to an oil burner at some stage and this may account for a few extra tons?

How nice though that you have got a ship that served in both of the World Wars; that must be quite a distinction

Regards

Michael D.R.