Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eton College Roll of Honour

freddy1918

Hi Guys,

For the past 18 months or so I have been collating information to produce an extension of the Eton College War List in line with the volumes produced by Rugby and Harrow, Balliol College etc.

I've already recieved a fantastic amount of help not only at the school but from some of the guys on the forum here, whether it be by loaning me their treasured books , detouring round half of France or trekking through cemeteries in Belgium helping me get through my lists ;) (Thanks Jon, Andy, Flash, Will, John, the Chairman and Linda!) But I though it might be useful to post something on the forum to see if anyone might be able to help.

With 1158 casualties it's a large undertaking and I was hoping that forum pals who research certain memorials, units etc. might have come across some information they might be willing to let me use. I have access to plenty of biographical information at the school and at home, but what would be really helpful is information regarding their service and their deaths, whether it be from war diaries, or former publications, and of course photographs. So far the plan is to include both a photograph of their grave or memorial marker (About a third of the way there) a photograph of them at Eton (at a push as a child, I am going to see how far I get with this - so far I have about 250 of these) and one of them in uniform, or where impossible at least as an adult. (about halfway there so far).

This isn't intended for publication, I just intend to produce a set of volumes for the school, so no hard sought after images or research would find itself beamed across the globe. I do intend to include a list of credits in the final version and would be able to make a gift of a copy of the full page entry for the man involved to anyone who assisted in his write up.

Any help would be much appreciated more than I can say, and would ease my stress levels immensely! I believe quite strongly in this project and giving the school some sort of lasting record of the incredible feats of it's old boys during the Great War.

Thanks

Alex

Alex

For anything Stockport related, you only need to ask. Also, my website now has around 2500 biographies which include "what happened the day he died" stuff, feel free to blag anything if the dates/units fit for any of your men.

John

(PS: the info you let me have about Rutter was a nice addition for the WFA talk I gave last night. Ta, once more)

Hi John,

Thanks, much appreciated, hold that thought on Rutter - I'll email you tonight with some news...

Alex

If you need anything Coldstream just ask (Im going to the archives hopefully next week)

Alex - have you looked through Gliddon's The Aristocracy?

If you have a central list that identifies Royal West Kent, Kent Cyclist Bttn, West Kent Yeomanry or 10 (WKY & REKMR) Buffs, will be happy to look again at my lists and photos, which is expanding regularly.

Ian,

I think a lengthy sit down is probably needed! I haven't forgotten about your endeavours to get a picture of all of the CG officers so we should sort something out!

Thanks Jon,

Could I get the full details on Brian Osborne and his stowaway exploits that you had?

Thanks again guys

Alex

Grumpy,

:huh:

I'm shameless! He's one of my absolute favourites. My avatar is George and his elder brother Leslie. I met with his niece just before Christmas and was fortunate enough to be able to get copies of all of his letters and his brother Regie's too. What a guy! If any of that might be of any use to you do let me know.

Alex

Thanks Jon,

Could I get the full details on Brian Osborne and his stowaway exploits that you had?

This was all I had:

After we had been at sea for a day or two we found that we had a stowaway on board in the person of Brian Osborne. This boy had left Eton at the age of 16 and become a Trumpeter in A Sqn (WKY). Owing to his age he was left behind, and indeed twice put out of the train at Canterbury. However, he managed to evade capture, hid up at Liverpool till dark and then smuggled himself on board.

Source: Ponsonbly, C.; History of West Kent Yeomanry & 10th Bttn Buffs History.

I regret there were no other references to him.

Jonathan

Thanks Jon, when were they going over? :huh:

Thanks Jon, when were they going over? :huh:

It was around 23 Sept 1915 - they had been at Canterbury so assume they left from a Kent port on board SS Olympic - which you might know a little of.

Can you let me know what your plans/thoughts are for 9 July - should start thinking about it.

Jonathan

Thanks Jon

SS Olympic - sounds vaguely familiar ;)

Re: July 9th/Jimmy, that's creepy. I was going to text you about that after work... I'm definitely in if you still want to do it...

B)

Ian,

I think a lengthy sit down is probably needed! I haven't forgotten about your endeavours to get a picture of all of the CG officers so we should sort something out!

Thanks again guys

Alex

send me a PM and we can sort something out

Re: July 9th/Jimmy, that's creepy. I was going to text you about that after work... I'm definitely in if you still want to do it...

I havent forgotten my promise. Does Adam want to go? I was going to contact Maurice's grand-daughter and see what her plans were.

Hmmm.... you know what he is like. Better count him out I think, as I doubt we'll both get time off together from work... :o

Alex

I have quite a number of bios and details of a number of old Etonians on a local prep memorial mostly survivors but one or two of the casualties as well. I'm sending a PM with my email

Hambo

Freddie-I now have a lot more on Paul Hobhouse (and his brother who survived). As indicated in my earlier postings we shall be taking his great-great nephew to the place where he died on 21st March 1918 during our October 'Forgotten Victory' tour.

Hambo,

Thanks for the very generous offers re: assistance. Will PM you back shortly.

Mark,

Anything on Paul's war service would be much appreciated. Do you know if any pictures of him in uniform exist? I had heard one alluded to but haven't come across it yet.

Thanks again guys

Alex

??????????

memory span of a goldfish... on it...

Here is Paul in military uniform. I now know that he was an original member of 'D' Company of 6th Somerset Light Infantry, was wounded in the flamethrower attack at Hooge in 1915 and was almost certainly commanding 'D' Company at the time of his death in March 1918. I am hoping to gain several more pictures of him via Taunton Records Office.

post-120-1202889678.jpg

Thanks Mark, it's a really lovely photo. I think I sent you the group shot that had Paul and his brother in it - I've since come across a couple more school shots - none to high quality I'm afraid, but I can email them over if you want to see them. I also saw a photograph of the entire school taken at Summer Fields in 1906 - am I right in thinking off the to of my head that he should be in it? Not all of the boys are named but its easy enough to pick out familiar faces.

Alex

• 1 month later...

buried in my local churchyard are 2 brothers who i believe were old etonians wiliam alfred littledale fletcher and another who died in 1945 both saw service in the boer war and the great war w.a.l. fletcher is buried in the churchyard of st. nicholas's halewood liverpool he died 14/02/1919 of the effect's of gas poisoning if you require a photograph of his grave let me know i also have a bit more information that may be of help to you.

• 1 month later...

Alex,

I have an old family photo album for a Ronald Backus of Eton and Cambridge who went on to join the Rifle Brigade. One of the larger pics is of officers and sergeants Eton College OTC taken in 1913. All persons are named.There are about 50 in the photo