Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. F W Polehampton No. 8 Squadron RFC

bmac

Can some kind soul furnish me with any further details about the circumstances of 2nd Lt. Polehampton's death? Details of any other 8 Squadron casualties in April 1915 would be good.

bmac

Trevor Henshaw's "The Sky Their Battlefield" does not record 2/Lt. Polehampton at all and there is no trace in the RFC Comminques 1915-16 either. But he is listed as being killed in action in Captain G.L. Campbell's "Royal Flying Corps (Military Wing). Casualties and Honours During the War of 1914-17" on 26th April 1915.

The only additional information given is that he was gazetted into the RFC in January 1915 and was killed at St. Omer, his place of burial. Details of his next of kin are given, as per the CWGC entry, except that his father is stated to be the late Rev. Edward Polehampton, rector of Hartfield, Sussex.

There's a photo of the man, said to be the Squadron's first casualty, that you've probably seen, but I've included the link here just in case:

http://www.8squadron.co.uk/history_1915-1920.php.

He does look like an older man, 42 according to the CWGC.

Not a lot of help but for what it's worth!

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for that. I got the original information about Polehampton from the 8 Squadron web site. Was just hoping for a little bit more.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Bill

Bill

2Lt F W Polehampton of No 8 Sqn RFC (formerly 15th Hussars) was killed in an accident when flying BE 2c No 1758 on 26 April 1915.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Interesting that Hobson's "Men Who Died in the Great War" lists Polehampton as "Killed Whilst Flying" in BE2c number 1758, ie. in an accident and not in action.

Starlight

I've noticed a number of instances in the AFC where the man is noted on his service record as being killed in action when the cause was an aircraft accident. It looks like it was then common practice, at least in some units, to regard anyone who died on active service as being killed in action.

Regards

Gareth

Looks certain to bee an accident given his omission from "The Sky Their Battlefield". Odd, though, as the other source I looked at does differentiate between deaths in action and accident - usually!

Starlight

I've noticed a number of instances in the AFC where the man is noted on his service record as being killed in action when the cause was an aircraft accident. It looks like it was then common practice, at least in some units, to regard anyone who died on active service as being killed in action.

Regards

Gareth

That's interesting Gareth and probably true, though as regards Number 6 squadron (one of my areas of interest) the records maintained throughout the war were very detailed as to the cause of death of every one of the squadron's flying casualties. Scant details however were kept on the casualties sustained within the 'other ranks', of which there were many.

Regards

Steve

Bill,

Also a picture of him ih the Lancing Roll of Honour.

Andy

post-1871-1202513973.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
bmac

The only additional information given is that he was gazetted into the RFC in January 1915 and was killed at St. Omer, his place of burial. Details of his next of kin are given, as per the CWGC entry, except that his father is stated to be the late Rev. Edward Polehampton, rector of Hartfield, Sussex.

He does look like an older man, 42 according to the CWGC.

Not a lot of help but for what it's worth!

Cheers,

Jim

Not really revelant but the name Polehampton rang a bell, a Rev., H.E, Polehampton was Rector of our Parish ( Whitwell, Derbyshire) from 1908 until 1918 could possibly have been the brother of the Airman and son of Rev., Edward Polehampton

The crash can't have been that bad for the aeroplane

1758 8 Sqn St Omer by 15.4.1915 until 28.4.1915, with 2Lt FW Polehampton KIFA 26.4.1915. 7 Sqn St Omer (RAF1a 21977) by 31.8.1915 and wrecked 5.9.1915.