Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Youngest MM winner?

Desmond7

Question as above ...

I have been told that a Hugh Gillen MM (GSW Arras) of 6th A & SH is a contender ... anyone know for definite?

how old was he ?

http://www.freewebs.com/snake43/whatsnew.htm

Go here - scroll down for pic. He does look exceedingly young! Family have contacted me. They have his medals and papers. He died in 1969. Apparently tried to join the local mob but rejected because he was under-age so bailed over to Scotland to join the Argyles.

Guy only rang me this afternoon. Will know more next week.

I would say he is about 16 in the picture?

David Watson (who was then living in Dunstable, Bedfordshire) writing to a newspaper in the mid 1960s states:-

'I was 15 and a half years of age when I was serving with the 7th Btn Royal Irish Rifles at Sunnylands Camp, Carrickfergus in June 1915. I was in a draft for France when my age was discovered and Lt. Col. McFerran sent me home. Eventually I reached France at 16 and a half years of age with the 51st Highland Div. There were many very young soldiers from mid-Antrim in the HD - some much younger than myself.

"One of these was Hugh Gillen of Larne Road, Ballymena. Hugh must be one of Ulster's youngest decorated soldiers. He was around 17 when he won the MM for carrying in wounded under heavy fire."

Hugh Gillen's papers give DoB as 1899. Family say he was younger??

As an aside, Hugh worked in the Post Office Engineering Dept until ill health forced him to retire.

In a very short interview I've been given, he stated: "I felt that I was doing what anyone else would have done in the cirumstances."

Family still have his three medals and SW

Desmond, dont know for definite but -

James Marchbank 8th Royal Scots was 17 years and 9 months (confirmed from birth certificate) when he won his MM, joined TF aged 13 in 1913 went to France, November , 1914 aged 14 years and 5 months , there might well be younger though. He won his for carrying a message as Battalion runner in March, 1918.

John

Pics of Hugh Gillen in A & SH uniform and post war (1921) when he joined the 'A' Special Constabulary

post-1582-1203076378.jpg

More pics - I think these tell an awful lot about army recruitment procedures. Eeven at a distance of around 90 years, these guys look very young. Which kinda surprised me cos in most WW1 pics even the very young guys look .. how do I say it? Old!

post-1582-1203076812.jpg

LZ 1749 AB William Mant MM

Hawke Bn.

MM age 16 ;

RO 10/12/16(Ancre) ;

LG 19/2/17 p.1753

discharged under-age 20/3/17 age 17 [b.12/12/1899], remobilised 25/1/18, posted to Hood Bn. 26/7/18.

Also don't forget the date of the action and the date of the award being gazetted can be some time apart. This is particularly important when researching MM's when the may be no info the details of the action during whcih the award was won.

Mick

Gazz given as 24/1/1919

Reckon he can't be the youngest (ta everybody) but still a great little story for me.

"More pics - I think these tell an awful lot about army recruitment procedures. Eeven at a distance of around 90 years, these guys look very young."

I agree Des , some of the recruiters should have had a rocket, some of are just laddies. Look at young James here , note the service stripe as well, there is a wound stipre on the other,as a Dad I wonder how I would have felt.

Unbelievable ... that young lad is quite obviously under-age.

Some of the authors out there could get a good and interesting bookm out of this.

'Brave Boys ... the teenage gallantry medallists of WW1'

Even better .. a good documentary.

Just to add to the debate another DCM winner was a Pte Martin Garrity 1971 of the 1/7th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment.

He was 17yrs and 73 days old when he won his DCM.

The Citation reads.

For conspicuous gallantry on the 29th July 1915, on the Yser Canal, when on two separate occasions he assited by an Officer an another man helped to dig out at great personal risk and under heavy fire, an Officer and ten men, whose dug-outs had been blown in. It was due to their gallant efforts that nine of the rescued men owed their lives.

------------

The Officer involved was Lt Glazebrook won won a MC for this act, and the other soldier was a Pte Bently 3017 who won himself a DCM for the act, he was aged 20.

Pte Garrity joined the colours of the 1/7th Batt in the July of 1914.

The Officer that was dug out was a Lt Briggs, who later died from the results of been buried.

Name: BRIGGS, RICHARD STANLEY

Initials: R S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/07/1915

Additional information: Son of Frederick Duckworth Briggs and Charlotte Briggs, of Pytchley House, Chapel Allerton, Leeds.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. F. 11.

Cemetery: ESSEX FARM CEMETERY

And the soldier that did not make it was a Pte Ernest Stockwell.

Name: STOCKWELL

Initials: E

Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/09/1915

Service No: 1776

Additional information: Son of Richard and Agnes Matilda Stockwell, of Leeds.

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. C. 5.

Cemetery: TALANA FARM CEMETERY

Regards Kevin

More Fuel for the Fire,In Richard Van Emdens Excellent Book "Boy Soldiers Of The Great War",i came across this Snippet on Page 89...Second Lt.Stuart Cloetes Best Sniper was perhaps something of a Record.The Boy turned out to be only 14 Years Old

"He was the finest Shot and the best little Soldier i had.A very nice Boy,always Happy.I got Him a Military Medal and when He went back to Blighty and i suppose School,He had a credit of SIX germans Hit".

As for a Young DCM Winner Pte Jack Auguste Pouchot weighs in as a Contender for Youngest DCM Winner He was 15 Years Old when He won His Decoration.

I think you need to be very wary of attempting to judge ages based on photographs. For those that have served look at your recruit photos...how many of you grew a moustache to look older? In fact wasn't that the origin of the 'NI Tash'.

Mick

I joined up at 16 and hadnt even started Shaving,couldnt grow a Tache then - still cant now.. :lol: ..if i do try to grow One it just looks as if i have been drinking out of a Dirty Jam Jar..Dirty Smudge on the Upper Lip.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Doghandler

During continuing searching into Hugh Gillen's military history I (his grandson) unearthed this letter at the weekend which would appear to have been written by the Chaplin, a Rev W R Brown C.F. Unfortunately it is numbered as page 2 and page 1 is missing, would have been good to get both! It is written on typical WW1 paper, beige in colour with age and wafer thin, amazing it has survived all this time. The night of 22nd August referred to is the night he was wounded.

swscan000100013uc2.jpg

It makes you want to cry! Tie this thread in with the Youngest Sergeant one and you'd think the whole caboosh was fought by kids!

Geraint

• 12 years later...
On 16/02/2008 at 02:53, kevin said:

Just to add to the debate another DCM winner was a Pte Martin Garrity 1971 of the 1/7th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment.

He was 17yrs and 73 days old when he won his DCM.

The Citation reads.

For conspicuous gallantry on the 29th July 1915, on the Yser Canal, when on two separate occasions he assited by an Officer an another man helped to dig out at great personal risk and under heavy fire, an Officer and ten men, whose dug-outs had been blown in. It was due to their gallant efforts that nine of the rescued men owed their lives.

------------

The Officer involved was Lt Glazebrook won won a MC for this act, and the other soldier was a Pte Bently 3017 who won himself a DCM for the act, he was aged 20.

Pte Garrity joined the colours of the 1/7th Batt in the July of 1914.

The Officer that was dug out was a Lt Briggs, who later died from the results of been buried.

Name: BRIGGS, RICHARD STANLEY

Initials: R S

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/07/1915

Additional information: Son of Frederick Duckworth Briggs and Charlotte Briggs, of Pytchley House, Chapel Allerton, Leeds.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. F. 11.

Cemetery: ESSEX FARM CEMETERY

And the soldier that did not make it was a Pte Ernest Stockwell.

Name: STOCKWELL

Initials: E

Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/09/1915

Service No: 1776

Additional information: Son of Richard and Agnes Matilda Stockwell, of Leeds.

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. C. 5.

Cemetery: TALANA FARM CEMETERY

Regards Kevin

Kevin

I am new to the forum but delighted to see your post. Martin Garrity was my Grandad and I am researching his war service along with my other Grandad Harry Brown 55 KBS RFC.

Very proud of both of them. Martin's service number changed to 265283 West Yorkshire Regiment. HGrandad Garrity with DCM.pdfe suffered shrapnel wounds to both knees on 21st October 1917. Eventually discharged from the service 26th October 1918.

He is seated in front row on right in the photo attached wearing his DCM.

Thank you again

regards

Chris 

• Admin

Unfortunately, Kevin died a few years ago, as denoted by RIP below his name. 

Michelle