Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st and 2nd battalions east lancashire regiment

harbottle

Hello

I would be very gratefull if anyone could tell me where the 1st and 2nd battalions of the east Lancashire regiment were and what they were upto on 13th May 1915.

Thank you

Tony

1st Bn - in action at Mouse Trap farm.

2nd Bn - in Billets near La Flinque.

Dave

That's fantastic, I don't know how you can give me the info so quickly, I appreciate it.

I am just starting out trying to find details of my grandads war record (and struggling) I am not sure yet whether he was in the 1st or 2nd battalion but I will keep pegging away.

thanks for your help

Tony

2nd East Lancashires were with 8th Division for the whole war (except for a temporary exchange with 70 Brigade of 23rd Division from late 1915 to just after 1 July 1916) after their return from South Africa in October 1914. They were with 24 Brigade then from February 1918, 25 Brigade. The divisional history, reprinted by Naval & Military Press is very useful.

Alun THOMAS

Thanks for your reply.

According to his war medal record his date of entry in France is 15/05/1915 so I believe that mean it has to be the 1st or 2nd battalion. I will check out the Naval and Military press as you suggest. Is it an online resource?

Thanks again

Tony

• 2 months later...

Hi

A little late into this but I had an Uncle who joined up with the Ist Battalion ELR his number was 18611 he joined in January 1915. On his medal index card he entered theatre on the 27th May 1915 hope that helps a little.

Rycroft

The history records that the 2/East Lancs received reinforcements of 11 Officers and 150 OR's between the 10th and 25th May. From the 12th -19th May they were in Sailly.

The 1/East Lancs casualties from around Mouse Trap Farm were 11 Officers and 370 OR's. On the 15th the Battalion went into the Divisional support line, before, on the 16th, moving back to the Yser canal and dug-outs near the pontoon bridges north of Ypres. Reinforcements would probably have reached them there.

• 4 months later...
The history records that the 2/East Lancs received reinforcements of 11 Officers and 150 OR's between the 10th and 25th May. From the 12th -19th May they were in Sailly.

The 1/East Lancs casualties from around Mouse Trap Farm were 11 Officers and 370 OR's. On the 15th the Battalion went into the Divisional support line, before, on the 16th, moving back to the Yser canal and dug-outs near the pontoon bridges north of Ypres. Reinforcements would probably have reached them there.

Sorry for the long delay in responding to your comments but I have only just got a copy of my grandads medal rolls from Kew and the information on them confirms that he Landed in France/Belgium on 13th May 1915 as part of the 1st battalion East Lancashire regiment. Would they have been put into action immediately or held in reserve?. Where can I find detailed information on the battalions movements from this date?

Once again thanks for your help, I appreciate it

Tony