The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish POW's being recruited by the Germans

Will O'Brien

I dare say the Republicans of the period looked upon them as

1. Unreliable

2. Not averse to 'pulling a stroke'

3. A bit of a joke.

Same as the Legion of St. George in WW2 ... much ado about virtually nothing.

They were non-entities ....

Boys like Tom Barry are creditable and a brave few more. The 2boys that shot Henry Wilson for example. But the so-called 'Irish Brigade' - someone show me evidence of any 'brigade' in real numbers. It;s like paramilitaries talking about a meeting in the backroom of a pub as a conference of 'brigade staff'!

I'm sorry but this pales into total insignificance in the face of the FACT that many thousands of irish Nationalists with the political desire for a free and united Ireland fought the Germans in the hope of achieving that goal - and also for pure Irish adventurism/money (not as important as is alleged) and because of peer pressure.

I am sorry for being so forceful on this but this is a molehill in terms of Irish involvement in WW1/Irish national struggle.

The real battle was for the hearts and minds of the nationalist/catholic people ... and the British incompetence/ignorance/lack of 20th centuiry savvy at judicial/legislative level ensured that battle was lost.

If you wish to ask more about Italian Bronze Medal. I have some useful info.

Christ that was a quick Reply !!!!

I totally agree with you that many of these lads joined to make things handier for themselves. There numbers I beleive never exceeded about 55 so of course I could not see them taking Ireland by force. At the very least I think it is an interesting section (or even subsection) of the great war. I am from Waterford and know only too well what Home rule promised (and may have achieved had the Great War not cropped up) as this was a staunch Home Ruler town (Although many forget it today) - Straight away your reply reminds me of the description of Major willie Redmond "crying like a boy" when he heard of the rising. He was a very brave man and I have great respect for him

Oh and I'd love any info you have on the Italian Bronze medal - I beleive he (HUnt)got it attached to the mortor comapany ?

Kind regard

Gordon

Hi

I've just read this topic, it's very interesting could any of you gentlemen shed light or offer help on this question of mine about Irish Jaegers

Many thanks

Mart

• 1 month later...
Mark - can you fill me in - what's the Irish Sword?

Irish Sword

Military History Society of Ireland

Newman House, University College

86 St. Stephen's Green

Dublin 2.

Published twice yearly I believe

post-148-1170310449.jpg

I have this, from The Graphic, Feb 1916, portraying Casement attempting to recruit Irish POWs. The original, which is a front cover of The Graphic, is larger but I was not able to fit the entire picture onto my scanner -

JPC

Are you sure about the date?

wig

Yes - to be exact, The Graphic, Saturday, February 26, 1916

Well there you are. i thought I knew a bit about Casement, even written some stuf, but I did'nt know there was public knowledge of his POW activities prior to the Rising. Shows I know ****** all! Perhaps ****** the wrong word for Casement

Do you know this painting of his trial?

HighTreasonbyLavery.jpg

Well there you are. i thought I knew a bit about Casement, even written some stuf, but I did'nt know there was public knowledge of his POW activities prior to the Rising. Shows I know ****** all! Perhaps ****** the wrong word for Casement

Do you know this painting of his trial?

And I know even less, must have been asleep when they covered the ****** in history class all those years ago. Just spotted the print on eBay while trawling for Irish POWs and pounced. Great painting, thanks for posting it.

• 1 year later...
Hi chaps,

I wrote my undergraduate degree in University about the experiences of the Irish POWs in Limburg during the Great war. I am currently trying to put together my Masters on a similar them. If anybody has specific queries about these guys please drop me a line and I will help you as best I can. For example I notice your interest in the "German Irish Brigade" I have a list of all of its members and where in Ireland they were from if anybody want me to do a search for them?

As well as that somebody was asking what happened to these lads after the war. there are several stories following what happened to them. The most interesting I have come across to date is Timothy Quinlisk, who had been in the Royal Irish Regiment. He became an NCO in the German Brigade and was one of the first to enlist. After the war I think he was involved in Gun running for the IRA and he eventually became a double agent offering the British secret service the head of Michael Collins. Michael Collins got word of this and under his specific orders he was executed in a hotel in Cork!. I tried to track down Quinlisks relations but to no avail - I notice that another Quinlisk was killed in the Royal Irish Regiment in 1914 - so I have a feeling that family just died out or moved away -

On the same note if anybody has any info for me - please let me know - no info is too trivial and I would be grateful of it !

I am doing some research into my Granmother Brother, John Greer, who signed up to Casements brigade in German. I need help in finding out where he enlisted, what unit he was in and where he was taken prisoner. Also does anyone know where I could get a list of Brigade members. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I can be reached at mooneysc@eircom.net