found online

T.F. Mills (Colorado, USA)

temporary email: phasco at earthlink.net

(pending resurrection of regiments.org

mail)

Mary

• 5 months later...

Hi All

The 27.91Mb CHM file of the regiments.org site, as it was not long before its disappearance, that was available on the www.mediafire.com has been removed.

Anyone any idea if it's possible to get the file anywhere else?

I have my own copy, but, about once a month, was directing folk to the www.mediafire.com copy.

Orraverybest

David

It took me a while to realise that Mary's post meant that T.F.Mills had an email address, - phascoATearthlink.net , silly me :wacko:

I duly contacted him, and I received a reply inside 24 hrs to the effect that he still very much plans to restore regiments.org "in the not too distant future", but does comment "Don't hold your breath".

He also commented "In the meantime, you may be interested in joining our discussion group, where I will announce any developments about regiments.org: http://groups.google.com/group/becforces?hl=en "

Orraverybest

David

• 3 weeks later...

that's good to know, I have put the "Wayback Archives" under his link for the meantime, I wonder why he hasn't restored the site, guess I'll have to go join the discussion forum and satisfy my curiosity. thank you David :)

• 2 weeks later...

It is still here on our Canadian CEFSG MediaFire site ..... saved there just in case!

http://www.mediafire.com/cefsg

Richard

Dear chap

I wish to show you an unseemly amount of affection, as between pals!

I have so missed the site and can now use it again. Thank you!

William

For those that have not used the CHM file I should mention that the "exterior" hyperlinks from the site to outside resources do not work because the site itself is not really on the Internet. The "interior" hyperlinks still work, those being the ones that move you around the site. The solution is to take the link and then post it into a browser in the correct format.

For example, if you went to the 1st Foot Guards (now Grenadier Guards it says) and went to the HISTORY section you would see exterior links to such things as the "Grenadier Guards" (army site). If you clicked on that you would get an error page because the link is no longer active. To follow that link you must "RIGHT CLICK" the link (you would normally LEFT CLICK) and you will see the small PROPERTIES box pop up. Now you RIGHT CLICK on that properties and the larger PROPERTIES details and there you will actually see the link with all the odd looking text. It appears as follows on my computer:

mk:@MSITStore:C:\NETDAT\Regiments.org\regiments.chm::/www.army.mod.uk/ceremonialandheritage/household/gren_reg.htm

Use your mouse to select and copy ALL THE DETAILS in the link (some of it is hidden so make sure you capture all of it, not just what you see). Part of the link is the internal address where the file is located on my computer but you can see you want to extract only this part:

www.army.mod.uk/ceremonialandheritage/household/gren_reg.htm

Now it is an active hyperlink (you can add the http:// to the front if you feel the need) and so you can put that in any browser and follow it to the site.

As luck would have it that page itself has been changed but the process still works.

At some point I will see if there is a solution to that problem. One option is to reload the site to another web site but the original developers might not like that idea! I did try to capture the complete site and put it into a functioning ADOBE file, where all the links would then work, but I ran into a few glitches. They can be solved.

If anyone comes up with any more clues, let me know.

Richard of Canada

Thanks for letting us know what's happening.