Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles16: July 19th events

velo350

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was discussed in 731 and 737 Nigel.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Wasn't the details of the new cemetery but the fact that there was an announcement about it on the CWGC website - which I don't think has been mentioned before - that I was drawing attention to. But lets not fall out over it :rolleyes: !

Nothing at all about in the UK press recently - at least not that I've seen - rather dissapointing.

Best Regards

NigelS

Crikey ... I am showing my blonde hair again!!!

I thought perhaps people might be interested to know that on Tuesday 21st October Lambis was granted the Mateship Award as part of the Pride of Australia Medal.

You can read the newspaper article below and about the award itself.

http://www.prideofaustralia.com.au/index.html

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...099-661,00.html

WELL DONE Lambis ... and Congratualtions :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Well deserved recognition for Lambis - who deserves a slap on the back from us Brits too, as our fellers will get a decent burial and remembrance , as well.

Thanks, Mate!

• 2 weeks later...

I highly commend issue 44 of the AWM magazine "Wartime" to everyone interested in this thread.

To Lambis and the Friends of the 15th Brigade group and all of the professionals involved, well done to each and everyone of you and thank you for your committment in locating the 400 hundred "lost" British and Australian souls at Fromelles/Fleurbaix.

Cheers,

Hendo

Hello Hendo,

thank you very much for talking in your message of "Fleurbaix / Fromelles", indeed we must not forget that until 1921 the battle was named Battle of Fleurbaix.

Very friendly

Michel

Superb reporting this afternoon at the French regional television Nord-Pas-de-Calais-Picardie FR3, entitled "la guerre de Bill".

News just announced from the Australian Department of Defence

FROMELLES SOLDIERS IDENTIFICATION: SCIENTIFIC MATCHING TO BE ATTEMPTED

Minister for Defence Science and Personnel, the Hon. Warren Snowdon MP, today announced that Britain and Australia had jointly agreed to attempt DNA extraction from the remains of those First World War soldiers buried at Pheasant Wood, Fromelles.

It is estimated the remains of up to 400 Australian and British soldiers are interred in a group burial site at Fromelles, where they were originally laid to rest by German Forces in 1916.

The decision to exhume and individually re-inter each soldier was made following a limited excavation at the site earlier this year which proved the remains were still in situ.

“We have agreed to DNA test an initial cross-section of our soldiers’ remains when they are carefully exhumed from the group burial site at Fromelles next year,” Minister Snowdon said.

“If this process returns positive results, we may then consider testing the balance of remains in order to attempt matching with current living relatives."

“It is the desire of the Australian Government to use every reasonable method to identify each individual soldier.”

Minister Snowdon’s British counterpart, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence and Minister for Veterans, Kevan Jones MP, echoed these sentiments.

“Although we have to acknowledge that identification of those found at Fromelles will be unlikely in a lot of cases, we owe it to them all to ensure that every reasonable effort is made to provide a named grave to as many of them as possible,” Minister Jones said.

Just finished my time in the Somme and Flanders and visiting the site of the unknown diggers in Fromelles was a fitting way to end my tour and to reflect on the experience.

Spider

... we owe it to them all to ensure that every reasonable effort is made to provide a named grave to as many of them as possible,”

I actually agree with a Government minister for once.

I would like to commend the Govts and other officials for the way they have handled this matter. Their decisions have been fitting and honourable to date.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Yes, Sandra, I wish them every success with this noble endeavour.

As a Brit, I am a little bit concerned that we may be behind the curve in respect of the amount of modern day DNA samples that we may be able to pull together - due to the nature of the investigation, we may be permanently playing catch up with our Australian friends but I hope we put in the necessary effort.

The creation of this new cemetery is such an important task for our generation - if our science can in addition deliver known graves, it will be a great achievement.

Ian, I am sure at the end of the day it will work our well for the boys no matter what. That is the most important thing.

Personally, I would like to see some more people jumping on board to help Victoria. I don't envy her the ammount of work she is putting in as I know how much Tim and I have done and we have less than half the amount of lads to research.

Tim is 'divorced' from his PC at present but I am sure he will be back with some interesting news late next week.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Yes, unfortunately my computer is currently in transit and I'm having to operate from an iPhone. Although great as a backstop, using one for an extended period becomes rather painful.

Nevertheless, it appears there are some fascinating and exciting things happening.

Cheers

Tim L.

Well that is what happens when you blokes get hooked on technology!

A lap top would have been much more sensible!!!

I do hope you are drafting the Fromelles paper (and Mellor too) Sherlock and not playing with your 'techno toys' :P

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Personally, I would like to see some more people jumping on board to help Victoria.

Has Victoria asked for any assistance? I am sure the Forum could be a source of some help.

Some members have given her diaries etc ... but no offers to work through them as I understand it.

Have you seen the GUARD report Ian?

Bright Blessings

Sandra

http://www.defence.gov.au/fromelles/files/...ellesReport.pdf

Makes interesting reading Ian.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Sandra, many thanks for posting the link to the report. I found it a very informative, interesting and finally a very sobering document. It sounds like a fine piece of archaeology has been undertaken at Pheasant Wood. From the descriptions of the mortal remains of the soldiers discovered the suffering they endured beggars belief

Best Wishes

Norman

http://www.defence.gov.au/fromelles/files/...ellesReport.pdf

Makes interesting reading Ian.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Many thanks for the link Sandra, I took photographs of the field at Pheasant Wood two years ago, today the rumours of mass burials are grim reality.

One thing though......its nice to see we have the report of the preliminary excavations available for us to view, even though some of it is quite harrowing

regards

Tom

Yes.. the report is quite sobering.

From my point of view, given they suffered so badly prior to death, and the condition of their burial, they surely deserve better.

Lest We Forget!