Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles16: July 19th events

velo350

I am planning to visit the Fromelles battlefield on the anniversary of the battle, 19th July. I would be interested to know if anyone is planning to visit this year?

• 2 months later...

I will be at Fromelles on the afternoon of the 20 May 08. Will spend a few hours there before proceeding down to the Somme for a few days.

I will be at Fromelles on the afternoon of the 20 May 08. Will spend a few hours there before proceeding down to the Somme for a few days.

Will be there PM on April 23rd going through to the Somme and V.B

for the Dawn Service.

Peter

Peter,

Have a great trip mate, this is my third trip to the Somme in the last four years. Cant get the place out of my head so to speak, hence I have to go back again.

Mac

Hi Guzzi - I dropped in there on friday on my way back to Blighty and ran into Lambis Englezos who was good enough to show me around. as I left he was about to fulfil some photo requests, and asked if I would pass on greetings to some forum members - unfortunately I left the list in the hire car. My apologies. The extra time I spent there made me miss the ferry and when I got to Calais the P&O 'computer said no' unless I coughed up another 65 quid, so I will be persuing Lambis for compensation. I know where he will be on the 19th. Hope the weather picks up for your visit!

Simmo.

post-1386-1208688848.jpg

post-1386-1208688883.jpg

post-1386-1208688910.jpg

post-1386-1208688943.jpg

Thanks Simmo ...

If any others catch up with Lambis say hello for me and tell him I am working hard on the Fromelles Boys research :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Ta Simmo,

I'm certain Lambis was as passionate as ever. (and probably getting impatient now)

Cheers,

Tim L.

Channel 7 here Sydney on last nights(21 Apr) news, had a story about the upcoming event at Fromelles and short interview with Lambis. The interviewer made comment that the dig starts next week, however other news outlets have stated the 26 May? What is the correct date?

Macca

Not sure Macca ... Lambis said to me on several occasions to look for an announcement second week of May. Tim may know something more as he spoke with Lambis more recently than I did.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi Macca,

I'd say the news outlets have probably got it right. I spoke to Lambis just before he left and he indicated that it would begin in mid to late May.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Sandra, Tim,

Thanks for the info. One news report a couple of weeks ago stated that the dig was originally scheduled for April, however due to heavy rainfalls in the area to date, the water table was higher than normal, hence the dig was being delayed to the 26th May.

Whatever the outcome, I will be there on the afternoon of the 20 May and hopefully I will get to meet Lambis and thank him personally for his dedicated and tireless work.

Macca

Wonderful Macca ... as I live in WA give him a slap on the back from me ... tell him I am working hard cos Tim is a hard task master!!!

Bright Blessings

Sandra

• Admin

I've just spent a few hours with Simmo , he is over in Blighty before heading back to Oz at the weekend. He told me all about his Fromelles visit and has given me a copy of the Patrick Lindsay book. Good to see him, I haven't seen him since about 1996!

Michelle

Hello Michelle ... if you are speaking with Simmo again tell him it would be good to catch up with him for a cuppa and a yabba when he gets back home :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi Sandra

I am new to the forum and have particular interest in the Battle at FleurBaix/Fromelles.

My great uncle was killed on the 19th July in this battle, his brother survived. I understand there is a 'dig' planned to excavate the mass grave, as my uncle is one of the 'nameless' I am interested to find out what is planned. Also it is possible that my uncle died and was left behind German lines, is there anyway I can find out if the Germans buried him or not? I have all the archival materials from the war records which are not terribly helpful, so would appreciate any information or discussion on the topic

Cheers

Julie :rolleyes:

Julie ... I have sent you a personal message regarding your great uncle :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

• 2 weeks later...

Defence

ALERT

13/05/2008 CPA 129/08

Printer friendly version

LIMITED EXCAVATION OF SUSPECTED WWI BURIAL SITE

TO COMMENCE IN TWO WEEKS

WHAT: Limited excavation of a suspected WWI burial site which may contain the remains of up to 400 Australian and British soldiers.

WHO: Senior Australian Army Representative, Major General Mike O’Brien; Head of Army History Unit, Mr Roger Lee; Director Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division, Mr Tony Pollard; Squadron Leader Denise Donlon, Defence Anthropological Adviser.

WHERE: Fromelles, Pheasant Wood, France.

WHEN: Monday, 26 May – Friday, 6 June 2008.

Note: dates subject to change pending weather conditions and local restrictions.

Media are required to officially register with the Department of Defence before 16 May 2008 to obtain access to the site. As the site is located on privately tenanted land, access will be limited and restrictions may be imposed for security and safety purposes.

This planned excavation will be undertaken by the Glasgow University Archaeological Research Division (GUARD) and overseen by Senior Australian Army Representative, Major General Mike O’Brien.

Under instruction from the Australian Army in July last year, GUARD conducted a non-invasive evaluation which determined beyond reasonable doubt that the site was used to bury Australian and British war dead, and suggested it is likely that remains are still in situ.

The Australian Government is proceeding with the limited excavation under the auspices of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and with the approval of French and British authorities and in consultation with German authorities.

The battle of Fromelles took place over 19 and 20 July 1916 and was the first major Australian attack in the Western Front. The fierce ground battle caused one of the greatest losses of Australian lives in a 24-hour period, with many casualties left in no man’s land to be buried by German forces several days later.

Media contact:

Belinda Cole (Communications Adviser- Army): 0400 914 213 or +61 400 914 213

Defence Media Liaison: 02 6265 3343 or 0408 498 664

Thanks for that Macca.

I think someone else has started another thread with the same info.

I'm patiently counting down the days but think Lambis might be wearing holes in the carpet wherever he's staying.

Think I'll send him an email and see how he's getting on.

Cheers,

Tim L.

If anyone is passing through and wants to find Lambis he is staying at "La Louisiane" a B&B at 51 rue des sablonnieres at Aubers just a couple of minutes from Fromelles.

Peter

Thanks for that Macca.

I think someone else has started another thread with the same info.

I'm patiently counting down the days but think Lambis might be wearing holes in the carpet wherever he's staying.

Think I'll send him an email and see how he's getting on.

Cheers,

Tim L.

All,

Yes I would like to run into Lambis so to speak and have a quick chat with him, hopefully he will be at the dig site whilst I'm in that area. Question to any reader who may know, is the site viewable from the adjacent road and what distance from the road would that be? From the air shots I have of the site, it seems to be reasoniably close? For those interested, my infomation is the GUARD team arrives on Wednesday 21 May and the the Australian defence contingent arrives the following day. I know from a conversation I have had today with a defence official who is involved with the dig, they are very sensative about who enters the actual dig site, this is understandable of course. I was told there is private land between the road and the actual site and the owners of that land are "very sensitive" who enters their land.

All things being equal, I will return home on the 2 June and hopefully have some pictures to post for all to see.

Regards,

Macca

Macca,

Unfortunately I got home from work last night and found I'd missed two phone calls from Lambis. :(

Although the phone line wasn't the best, I could make out most of the message. He's currently staying at Bullecourt but will be back at Fromelles on the 21st and 22nd May.

He asked me to pass this on and would be very happy to catch up with you on either of those days. If you do meet up remember the rest of us......get photos!!

Lambis also confirmed that the date for the excavation to begin is 26th May and at present it's all systems go.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Tim,

Blast, I will only be at Fromelle on Tuesday 20 May, hence I will miss meeting up with Lambis. I have to be at Flers that night and I wont have the time to go back to Calais via Fromelles later in that week. However, I will post pics here on the site on my return. Thanks for speaking with Lambis on my behalf Tim, greatly appreciated.

Macca