Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Irish Coast Defences to 1939

Guest adon

I am researching the Lonehort Battery at Bere Island, Cork Ireland on behalf of the local community with governmental support. Its main duties were the support of Navy Dreadnoughts which were left unprotected when being serviced at the navy yard underneath the battery. It was part of the South Irish Coast Defences.

Its headquarters were in Chester from 1920 but Bere remained as a 'Treaty Port'. Many regiments and or individuals of the army were based there over the years. The Royal Engineers would have played the biggest part both in construction, maintenance and signalling

Bere is also spelled as Bear, Beara, Berehaven and Bearhaven.

This battery dates from earliest times but in later years 1880 - 1939 would be more relevant. There werew two batteries on the island - looking over both channels. The Lonehort one is the one which I am immediately interested in.

In the local Ballynakilla graveyard there are Commonwealth Wargraves and other graves of military persons who presumably served at this Battery.

I would like to know what, if any, references or materials of regiments, people or equipment relevant to the Lonehort Battery exist. Are there any descendants of personnel who served there?

Many thanks to all

Fortress Ireland by John Hartnett McEnery Wordwell (2006) gives a good general account on all the Irish coastal defences.

There were batteries at Lonehurt, Ardaragh and Kerrin on the east coast and Derrycreeveen, Reenduff and Ardnakinna on the west of Bere Island.

No 49 Company RGA was stationed there during the 1914-18 war. In 1918 No 49 Co. and the Cork RGA (SR) became 31 Fire Command with all stores brought together at Lonehart. Establishment was 17 Officers and 259 other ranks.

Bere Island was taken over by the Irish army in 1939 under an advance party under 2/Lt Bill Rea from Major Clarke Royal Artillery.

There is a Home Forces Diary for No 49 Co. for the war period although there is only limited information in it. There is also some information in an Irish Defence Forces publication "Artillery Corps 1923-1998"

Donal MacCarron is presently compiling a book which may be of assistance to you. PM me your email and I can send on further information.

Mark

hi,

you may get lucky if you contact irish military archives

MILITARY ARCHIVES

CATHAL BRUGHA BARRACKS

RATHMINES

DUBLIN 6

IRELAND

best of luck

paul

Thank you Paul, We have them on board. Adon

Fortress Ireland by John Hartnett McEnery Wordwell (2006) gives a good general account on all the Irish coastal defences.

There were batteries at Lonehurt, Ardaragh and Kerrin on the east coast and Derrycreeveen, Reenduff and Ardnakinna on the west of Bere Island.

No 49 Company RGA was stationed there during the 1914-18 war. In 1918 No 49 Co. and the Cork RGA (SR) became 31 Fire Command with all stores brought together at Lonehart. Establishment was 17 Officers and 259 other ranks.

Bere Island was taken over by the Irish army in 1939 under an advance party under 2/Lt Bill Rea from Major Clarke Royal Artillery.

There is a Home Forces Diary for No 49 Co. for the war period although there is only limited information in it. There is also some information in an Irish Defence Forces publication "Artillery Corps 1923-1998"

Donal MacCarron is presently compiling a book which may be of assistance to you. PM me your email and I can send on further information.

Mark

Thank you Mark. Have just printed off your reply and will peruse shortly. ADON

• 2 years later...

My Grandfather, Joseph Davies served at the Lonehort Battery, Bere Island, County Cork, Ireland. He was in the 49 Company of the RGA and was there in July and December 1915.

These are known dates, but he may well have been there earlier and later as well. His Regimental number was 53186.

Joseph Davies was apparently a bit of a marksman and I think he won the Bere Island shooting (presumably rifle) competition in 1915.

On 30th November 1922 he was on the ship "Huntsend" on his way to Constantinople.

I would welcome any further information that anybody has, either about Joseph Davies, or about the Lonehort Battery.

• 2 weeks later...

My Grandfather, Joseph Davies served at the Lonehort Battery, Bere Island, County Cork, Ireland. He was in the 49 Company of the RGA and was there in July and December 1915.

These are known dates, but he may well have been there earlier and later as well. His Regimental number was 53186.

Joseph Davies was apparently a bit of a marksman and I think he won the Bere Island shooting (presumably rifle) competition in 1915.

On 30th November 1922 he was on the ship "Huntsend" on his way to Constantinople.

I would welcome any further information that anybody has, either about Joseph Davies, or about the Lonehort Battery.

There are some interesting recent photographs here :

http://www.abandoned...and.com/bf.html

Robert