Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Families with multiple casualties

Simon_Fielding

This is a terribly sad story, Jonathan - I had to look them up on the 1911 census and as it tells us how many children they ever had, we can see that these were all the four sons of the Jameses: the other two children were grown-up daughters who were still at home.

Liz

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I`ve just read about those poor Souls brothers, and the sadness of their parents. Please correct me if I`m wrong, but I seem to remember reading somewhere, that the boys Mother, Annie, was, `forced` to leave the village at some time, because of the jealousy of other villagers, over the amount of money she recieved after the loss of her boys. Am I correct in this thought?

A very moving read about those brave lads.

cresser.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have come late to this topic, but noticed the reference to Leonard Reeve Beechey having a Welsh connection, i.e. married to a presumably Welsh lady.

I have checked the web sites and other records which I use to look for records for the Newport area. However, I've found no trace of him in any of the records, so it seems that there isn't a memorial to him in Newport, Magor or Undy.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

The Haddow family: father engaged on war work, eight sons joined the army and two the navy. Five had been killed by the end of 1915.

Article here

(Scroll to bottom.)

I'll leave others to check the family out. In my trawl today through NZ newspapers I'm coming across a number of fanciful stories.

Moonraker

The 1911 census returns for Chilton, Berkshire shows 222 residents living in 56 different properties. The gender split was 123 men and 99 women. Two residents.  In other words a small rural community where everyone knew everyone.  One woman lost her husband, brother and brother in law in the space of 7 months.  Her elderly father also died during this time.

It's a very long time since I read it but in his book, Not Forgotten Neil Oliver details a mother who lost all her sons and was hounded by many villagers who complained at how much pension money she was receiving.  I can't remember the details but I'm sure some one will.

2 hours ago, phsvm said:

The 1911 census returns for Chilton, Berkshire shows 222 residents living in 56 different properties. The gender split was 123 men and 99 women. Two residents.  In other words a small rural community where everyone knew everyone.  One woman lost her husband, brother and brother in law in the space of 7 months.  Her elderly father also died during this time.

It's a very long time since I read it but in his book, Not Forgotten Neil Oliver details a mother who lost all her sons and was hounded by many villagers who complained at how much pension money she was receiving.  I can't remember the details but I'm sure some one will.

Connect with post #102 above regarding the Souls family.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/06/2011 at 19:57, Jonathan_NW said:

Just thought I would add these four brothers who are named on my local war memorial. They were all sons of the local Vicar of Haigh.

George Sidney James

Name: JAMES, GEORGE SIDNEY

Initials: G S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 5th Bn

Date of Death: 04/06/1915

Additional information: Son of the Rev. C. H. James and Emily Maria James, of Epperstone Rectory, Nottingham. Of Haigh, Lancs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: X. E. 20.

Cemetery: REDOUBT CEMETERY, HELLES

Francis Arthur James

Name: JAMES

Initials: F A

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/09/1915

Additional information: Son of the Rev. C. H. and Mrs. James, of Epperstone Rectory, Notts. Born at Haigh, Lancs.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sp. Mem. 156.

Cemetery: PINK FARM CEMETERY, HELLES

Charles Edward James

Name: JAMES, CHARLES E.

Initials: C E

Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment

Unit Text: 13th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/09/1915

Service No: G/5104

Additional information: Son of the Rev. C. H. James (Vicar of Haigh, Lancs.), and Emily Maria James, of Epperstone Rectory, Nottingham.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 99 to 101.

Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL

Henry James

Name: JAMES

Initials: H

Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment

Unit Text: 13th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/08/1916

Service No: G/4027

Additional information: Son of the Rev. C. H. and Emily James, of Epperstone Rectory, Nottingham. Born Haigh, Wigan.

Grave/Memorial Reference: N. 63.

Cemetery: BERNAFAY WOOD BRITISH CEMETERY, MONTAUBAN

Just found this article in the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20191014-082521.jpg