Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another service record question

goz

Please bear with me as it's taking me ages to get through this I got 15 pages off ancestry.

My ggdad spent from 07-08-1914 to 06-11-15 as a driver with 126 battery 29 brigade he was then posted on 6-11-15 to D/123 brigade. What is the 'D' for, would it be 'D' battery ?? He was still a driver !!!

He also received a good conduct badge in his earlier service in 1905, what would this look like as anyone got a pic of one ??

TIA..........goz

Hi,

It would have been Section D, 126th Battery, 29th Brigade, 4th Division.

What was his name as I have a copy of the 126th Battery war diary for 1914.

Regards Mark

Good conduct badge was probably a chevron, point up, similar to Lance Corporal's but inverted and worn on the lower sleeve. Other members will go deeper than this, I expect.

Daggers

The earlier pre-war batteries had numbers, e.g. 126th Battery, 29th Artillery Brigade. The war raised ones tended to be known by letters A,B,C,D within the brigade, e.g. D Battery of 123rd Brigade. You will have to track Brigades as batteries didn't have war diaries.

A Driver drove the Field Artillery gun teams pulled by horses, with one driver per pair of horses.

Each battery conisted of a number of guns, and each gun had a team of gunners (to fire the thing!) and drivers (to drive it). In battle the drivers would need to be ready to move their gun if need be, but would also double up as ammunition carriers, etc.

The D reference wouldn't be a section reference...

Steve.

Hi,

Here is some of the details I have on the 126th Battery for 1914.

Regards Mark

In 1903 the 29th Brigade RFA was based at Fermoy, Cork District, Ireland.

XIX (29th) Brigade RFA was part of the 4th Division which was a regular division stationed at Woolwich, Shornecliffe, Dover and Colchester prior to the outbreak of the war. The division arrived in France in August 1914.

The 4th Division was one of the first Divisions to move to France, arriving just in time to join the hard-pressed Divisions of II Corps at The Battle of Le Cateau. The 4th Division remained on the Western Front throughout the war. It took part in many of the major actions:

126th Battery, 29th Brigade RFA was mobilized 5 Aug 1914

Major R A C Wellesley commanding, 126th Battery

Lieutenant G E A Granet (l) ‘centre section’

Lieutenant Hon L G H L Playfair

Lieutenant H S Ellis ‘right section’

Lieutenant Archer

Lieutenant Boyer, French interpreter

5 Aug 1914 First day of mobilization went smoothly

4th Division concentration point was near to Harrow 18-19 Aug 1914

Entrained for Southampton, embarked on SS Armenian 22 Aug 1914

Disembarked at Havre, France, at 11am. Slow due lack of cranes. Finished at 10pm and encamped in Sheds on quayside 23 Aug 1914

Left sheds at 5.30am. Entrained at Havre goods station at 7am. Stopped at Rouen to water and feed. Arrived St Quentin 12 midnight and bivouacked in street. 24 Aug 1914

Settled in street at 2.30am. Marched out 9.30am by Fresnot, Brancourt, Premont, Meretz, Clary, Montigny to Ligny 22½ miles a tough march through a thunderstorm. Bivouacked at Ligny

Kitchener made the vital decision of reinforcing the BEF by sending Major General TD’O Snows’s 4th Division, which arrived in France on the night of 22/23 August. It arrived on the left flank of the BEF on 26 August.

Battle of Ligny 26 Aug 1914

6am dug in and came into action between Ligny and Hancourt facing north.

9:40am moved position short distance and in action in support of 10th Infantry Brigade

9:45am opened fire on German Infantry advancing near Estourmel. Fired 152 rounds and checked the advance.

11:00am Lull in battle.

2pm Heavy shell fire from German Artillery, British infantry retired and 127th Battery retired near by.

2:30pm Ordered to retire under heavy artillery fire. Rider Wheeler of D gun brought down. The gun team was heavily shelled but was brought out of action by Sergeant Hosgood. No.1 Battery Sergeant Major Wilkins brought out a wounded man on his horse. Took up a position at Selvigny and covered retirement of British Infantry. One horse and Limber blown up. Late evening retired via Malincourt, Villers-Outreaux to Gouy at 1:30am.

27 Aug 1914

5am Column resumed its march by Vendhuile, Lempire, Hesbecourt to Hancourt. Battery came into action 14 times to cover the columns march. Germans did not press so did not open fire.

6:30 to 8:30 Rested at Hancourt

8:30 Marched to Voyennes. Carried tired infantry on Battery vehicles.

28 Aug 1914

5:30am Reached Voyennes.

8:30am Ordered to continue the march. All Officers kits and everything except war like stores abandoned. Marched by Caniry to a position at Esmermery-Hallon, and proceeded in the evening by Colancourt to Muriancourt. Horse lines set at 11pm

29 Aug 1914

Moved to Beaurniys, acted as 10th Infantry Brigade rearguard, retired on towards Noyen. Bivouacked on road north of the town at 1.30am.

30 Aug 1914

4:30am Marched to Pontoise, Carlepont to Tracey-le-Val. Bridges of the River Oise blown up just after Battery had passed over. Moved on to Cuisse-Lamotts.

31 Aug 1914

Marched slowly through the Forest of Compiegne to St Saureur.

1 Sept 1914

6am Ordered to move.

start the retreat from Mons

3 Sept Finished the retreat from Mons

Battle of the Marne 8 Sept 1914

Battle of the Aisne 12 Sept 1914

15 Sept 1914 Driver Geradine wounded

Battle of Lys 17 Oct 1914

19 Oct 1914 Bombardier King awarded DCM for swimming the River Lys with a Telephone cable while under fire with Major Vallentin.

21 Oct 1914 Bombardier Burrage, Porter and Bacon wounded in action.

20 Nov 1914 Sergeant Major Wilkins, Sergeant Mosgood and Sergeant Jackson commissioned as 2nd Lieutenants’ RFA

Units of 4th Division took part in the famous Christmas Truce while they were still in this area, in trenches near Ploegsteert Wood.

Lieutenant Colonel R A C Wellesley promoted to 12th Division. 26 Dec 1914

Major H M Ballingall takes command of 126th Battery from 67th Battery, 1st Brigade

Captain G E A Granet promoted to 37th Brigade, Ammunition Column.

The battle of Le Cateau on 26th August 1914 was the epitomy of the phrase "He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day". The whole battle was about delivering a stopping blow to the German advance and then slipping away. The artillery on the Field of battle at Le Cateau was positioned well to the front of the line, sometimes in front of the infantry! The artillery "fired over open sights" (i.e. straight at the onrushing enemy - none of this lob stuff over the top stuff...).

Once the Germans had been stopped and their pursuit of the British Army thrown into confusion, the fighting men had to disengage and get away. At this point the Drivers came to the fore, bringing the artillery out of the battle whilst being shot at by both artillery and bullets. To say the artillery had an exciting time that afternoon is a slight understatement!

Steve.

Hi,

Here is a copy of a letter form my Great Great Uncle, 46846 Gunner Frederick James Young, 29th Brigade, RFA (129th Battery) to his mother. Which I found in 'Mayo Comrades of The Great War' by P J Clarke & Michael Feeney.

Regards Mark

post-14045-1202161244.jpg

31684 Joseph Wrigley, Mark....

Steve.

Hi Steve,

The Other Ranks mentioned by name in the War Diary for 1914 are as follows.

Sergeant Hosgood D gun commissioned

No.1 Battery Sergeant Major Wilkins

Sergeant Jackson commissioned

Driver Geradine

Driver Wiffen

Bombardier King DCM

Bombardier Burrage

Bombardier Porter

Gunner Bacon

Driver Hennessey

Bombardier Martin, Signals.

Regards Mark

If you don't mind here is my interpretation.

31684 Joseph Wrigley, Royal Field Artillery.

Born at Clitheroe, Lancashire.

Attested (enlisted) at Accrington, age 18 years, 1 month, 20th March 1903.

A carter prior to enlisting.

5 foot, 5 and a half inches tall, 129 lbs, Chest measurement 33" + 2" more when fully expanded, fresh complxion, grey eyes, brown hair, scar on back of head, Roman Catholic.

Medically examined at Burnley, 21-3-1903.

Approved for duty, 23-3-1903

Signed up for 3 years active service and 9 years on Reserve.

Posted to 105th Battery, 22nd Artillery Brigade, R.F.A., 25-3-1903

Granted first good conduct badge (chevron) for 2 years good conduct (or undiscovered bad conduct as we like to put it!), 20-5-1905.

Transferred to 1st Class Army Reserve on completion of Active part of Service of 3 years, 20-3-1906.

Age 21, Height 5' 7" (an extra 1 and a half inches in 3 years), Chest 34", Boots size 9, Helmet size 22.

(To be kept on Reserve for 9 more years until 20-3-1915 liable to recall if required.....hmmm....)

Mobilised from Reserve for active service, 5-8-1914

Posted to 29th Brigade RFA, 7-8-1914.

Posted to 126th battery of 29th Brigade, RFA, 7-8-1914

(Part of 4th Division - http://www.1914-1918.net/4div.htm )

To France, 22-8-1914.

To Hospital, haemorhoids, 29-12-1914

Returned to Duty, 2-1-1915.

Admitted to No. 11 Field Ambulance with a carbuncle (cyst), 24-6-1915

Returned to duty with 29th Artillery Brigade, 29-6-1915

Posted to "D" Battery of 123rd Artillery Brigade, 6-11-1915

(Part of 37th Division - http://www.1914-1918.net/37div.htm )

FGCM, sentenced to 3 months Field Punishment No.1 for overstaying leave from 7 to 10-12-1915, 14-12-1915

Sentence remitted by order of Commander of 37th Division.

Returned to Duty, 15-12-1915

To Base pending discharge on Termination of agreed period of service, 5-5-1916

To England for Discharge, 19-5-1916

No. 3 Depot, RFA, 20-5-1916.

Discharged under Kings Regulations 392, Clause XXI - Termination of Engagement, 30-5-1916.

(Family info excluded).

That's it apart from the medical disease page which is in the usual doctors handwriting!

Do you know if he re-enlisted after 1916?

Steve.

:huh: it's took me weeks to do that :huh: Thanks anyway, I understand what you mean by doctor's writing I cant make any sense of it. not sure if he re-enlisted though and there's no-one left to ask !! I do have his medals however, and I think his shoulder titles (brass things with RFA on) I shall endeavour to find out if he re-enlisted......... cheers guys.

Cheers Mark, does the medal roll carry any other information ?? I have asked on another part of the forum about a national roll I found on a Manchester website, would there be one for the unit my ggrandad was with ??

• 11 years later...

If you can, it would be worth moving this to the 'soldiers' sub forum as many members might not look at a thread that opened some years ago. 

Good luck.

Bernard

Hallo Jane,

As far as I can see, Kew has only his MIC (medal index card), here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1640353 at the lower right corner of the image. I looked at the preview, and it gives his first name as William. Although it mentions that he died, it doesn't say where.

I agree with Bernard that the Soldiers sub-forum is probably the best place for you to post this - I'm sure someone will be able to help. Also, it's not a good idea to post your e-mail on the open forum, as the spam harvesters will take advantage of it. Once you've posted a reply or two, you'll be in a position to receive private messages.

Good luck!

seaJane

• Admin

I've split this into a separate thread in Soldiers.

2 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I've split this into a separate thread in Soldiers.

Thanks Michelle, although I notice that you've headed the new thread F C Archer instead of W J.

Had me confused too for a moment, but then I saw that F C is also on the plaque, but as one who served rather than one who died.

sJ

• Admin

Now changed.

Michelle

seaJane above is enquiring about F C Archer.  FC Archer was also my Great Uncle. He is WJ Archers brother.  He was a Saddler in the War.  He survive and lived out his life in Nottingham.  Can you please advise seaJane they were brothers because I dont know if she will see this.

I've seen it, no worries!

I guessed they might be brothers but it's good to have it confirmed.

sJ