Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

charles edward hoyle

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

I've been trying to trace what happened to Charles Edward Hoyle of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, 4th Company. So far i have found that he died in Belguim on June 30th 1916 and thats it so far. His great neice is sending for his military records but i would like to try to find out under what circumstances did he die and what battle, etc. If anyone knows where i can find out where to look for these records i would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance for all those that try to help me

Regards to all

Mike

HI Mordac.

Could you tell me if any of the Winnipeg Cameron Battalions are on file.

Cheers Rob.

Hi Mike:

Here's a couple of small pieces of information for you.

1. C. E. Hoyle originally enlisted with the 83rd Battalion. Most of these men were absorbed into the 12th Reserve Battalion which sent reinforcements to the 3rd, 15th, 20th and 75th Infantry Battalions in France.

2. Number 4 Machine Gun Company was part of the 2nd Battalion, Canadian Machine Gun Corps.

3. The Canadian Corps was involved in the Battle of Mount Sorrel From June 2 to 13, 1916 and remained in the Ypres Salient until the beginning of September, 1916.

Garth

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Garath,

The link did take me to the Machine Gun Corps war diaries but they start on November 1916. Charles Edward Hoyle died in June 1916 so they start after his death. Thanks for your help though. Do you know what may have been going on during the 30th June 1916? I'm wondering if it was Passiondale?

Regards

Mike

The link did take me to the Machine Gun Corps war diaries but they start on November 1916. Charles Edward Hoyle died in June 1916 so they start after his death. Thanks for your help though. Do you know what may have been going on during the 30th June 1916? I'm wondering if it was Passiondale?

Hi Mike:

Sorry the war diaries don't cover the time period in question.

The Canadian Corps were involved at Passchendaele during October and November, 1917.

I'm aware of only one CMGC history that might be of some help: 'The Canadian "Emma Gees": A History Of The Canadian Machine Gun Corps' by C. S. Grafton. It was privately printed in London, Ontario in 1938. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy in my library.

Garth

Hi Garth.

As always Brilliant !!! Is there anything on any of the other Battlions 79th 174th & the 179th or Camerons of Ottawa By the way I hope I did not offend you with my email in Re: our mutual friend WC. Cheers Rob.

Hi Rob:

There's nothing on the four battalions you mentioned; the war diaries only contain information on front line units.

Message understood regarding WC. I wasn't offended, in fact I was happy to recieve your opinion. ;)

Garth

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Rob,

One of the members tells me you are interested in the 43rd Battalion. Do you have anything on Walter Nesfield Stone? He was a private who joined up on Feb 22 1916 in Hamilton, Ontario. He fell at Vimy Ridge on Aug 28 1918. You may find that he has not used Nesfield in his records though. I think that his service number is 225654. I think that he orginally joined the Canadian Mounted Rifles as that is what is on attestation papers. But i think that at some time he transfered to the 43rd Battalion.

Regards

Mike

Mike, just to clarify, he fell at the 1918 Battle of the Scarpe, in the push through the Hindenburg Line.

He is "remembered" on the Vimy Memorial.

Peter in Vancouver

Hi Mike.

I did some searching in my meager paper work on the 43rd and I could not find anything more than you already have on your man Stone. "Sorry" all the best in your search!!

Rob.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Guy's,

Many thanks for your help, looks as if i'm going to have to try to find the Battalion's History and the battles that they were involved in. Any idea if they might be online? Or if i can buy it somewhere? Also i would be interested in trench maps of the battles and anything else might help me in my research, any idea's?

I'm pretty new at researching this era in history so i'm still finding my feet on where i can find things.

Again many thanks for your help so far.

Regards

Mike

• 1 year later...

The out of copyright book entitled "The Canadian Emma Gees" , as noted above, documents the history of actions of Canadian machine gunners [Emma Gees] and has been transcribed and placed on the same New Zealand based website. The objective of this exercise was to protect existing original books from loss or damage and to make the material available to researchers outside major centres.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~b...gees/mgcov.html