Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two More in from the Cold

Terry Denham

The following two men have just been accepted by the MoD for recognition by CWGC. I had nothing to do with these cases and they are the work of other dedicated researchers.

I am posting the details to give the men their belated recognition and to encourage you others out there to follow up any men you may think are missing from the CWGC list. You can get them listed and remembered.

The burial location for the first man is still sought - possibly in the Oxford area as he died at home in Somerville Lodge, Oxford. Can anyone help? If no location can be found, he will be listed with the other man (also died in UK - location unknown) on the new United Kingdom 1914-1918 Memorial at Brookwood, Surrey.

2/Lt Frank Henry TALBOT

Royal Warwickshire Regt attd 1 Bn, Border Regt

Died of wounds 15.07.16

Pte Walter Francis MILLER

PO/17608 RMLI, Deal Bn, RN Div

Died 13.02.15

Remembered at last.

Obviously the number of missing names will never be known. It is just one of the consequences of thousands of military clerks and others not paying attention over the years! Mistakes are bound to happen.

But whether there are a hundred or ten thousand missing, they all deserve recognition.

Of course, it is quite rare to find a WW2 name missing. By the time of that conflict, all concerned had had plenty of practice with such records and there were smaller numbers involved.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Terry,

I'm in Oxfordshire so i'll have a look around and see what i can find. Do you have any idea where Somerville Lodge would be in Oxfordshire? I have a few hours free tomorrow so i'll have a look locally and then start widening the search area. It will be great to be of some use to the forum after all the help everyone has given me.

Regards

Mike

Mike

I assume it is in Oxford itself as it is stated as 'Oxford' and not 'Oxfordshire'.

A phone call to the cemetery dept of the local council may save a lot of work (see list below). However, as Talbot was an officer, there is a good chance that he is in a local churchyard somewhere.

OXFORD (BOTLEY) CEMETERY, Oxfordshire

OXFORD (HEADINGTON) CEMETERY, Oxfordshire

OXFORD (HOLY CROSS) CEMETERY, Oxfordshire

OXFORD (OSNEY ST. MARY) CEMETERY, Oxfordshire

OXFORD (ROSE HILL) CEMETERY, Oxfordshire

OXFORD (WOLVERCOTE) CEMETERY, Oxfordshire

Guest gen_wizard

Terry,

I'll pop around at least one of those places tomorrow but as the council office won't be open tomorrow i'll contact them on Monday if i have no luck.

Regards

Mike

"Talbot, ** 2/Lt. F. H. 15/7/16"

"** Attd. 1st Bord. R."

is mentioned on page 221 - Roll of Honour - in the "The Story of the Royal Warwickshire" by C. L. Kingsford.

regards

Richard

Terry

This may/may not be of any use to you but Frank H Talbot is listed/remembered on the War Memorial at Harpsden (which is just south of Henley on Thames), Oxfordshire.

Steve

Steve

That helps a lot,

By chance I am going near there tomorrow! I'll try to spare time to visit the local churchyard. May be in luck.

FOUND HIM (yes, I know I'm shouting)

Following Steve's piece of info and the good fortune of my being nearby today (well, fifty miles away but who's counting), I managed to find 2/Lt Frank Talbot's grave.

He is buried in Harpsden (St Margaret) Churchyard Extension, Oxfordshire.

I have informed CWGC and so he will now be commemorated at his burial location.

Photos follow. The inscription is a bit easier to read than it looks. His rank and R.Warks Regt are mentioned.

I also enclose a photo of the small village war memorial for Steve. It is actually located in the churchyard behind Talbot's grave.

Thanks to Steve and Mike for your help. It is appreciated.

post-1-1075738975.jpg

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Terry,

I had just found him as well, was just going to post it up and my puter froze, (darn thing) so you just beat me to it. But its great news and well done. Hope that i'll be able to help with more in the future.

Regards

Mike