Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewisham Military Hospital

docchippy

I will attempt to post around twenty images of wards, men, nurses, surroundings and sketches made by men being treated at the Lewisham Military Hospital in 1915. These are in an album belonging to a friend. It was her father's album and she would be interested to know anything of the context and content of the album. Here goes..

External shot august 1915

Ward July 1915

An excelent album

Thanks for sharing

Andy

Excellent, thanks for sharing them with us,

Mandy

Thanks so much for sharing. I also have a photo album compiled presumably by one or more nurses of a Canadian convalescent hospital (smaller scale though probably) BUT in my album NONE of the sitters are identified.

The photos in my album are better perserved though. Again thanks for taking the time and scanning these images.

John

Toronto

Quite wonderful. I used to walk past Lewisham Hospital every day on my way to school. My mum died there. I had no idea it was used as a military hopital in WW1. Many thanks.

Gunner Bailey

• 3 years later...
Guest trimley1a

Are these images still accessible? I have a copy of entries in an autograph book which belonged to a nurse at this hospital and they were all made in 1915 so I would be interested to see if I could match names.

I will attempt to post around twenty images of wards, men, nurses, surroundings and sketches made by men being treated at the Lewisham Military Hospital in 1915. These are in an album belonging to a friend. It was her father's album and she would be interested to know anything of the context and content of the album. Here goes..

External shot august 1915

Ward July 1915

Only just seen this. I was born in Lewisham Hospital and my mum was a nurse there in the 50s/60s. Like Gunner Bailey neither of us had any idea it had been a war hospital.

I wish I had seen it earlier too!

I'm working on the names on the Lewisham Military Hospital Memorial at the moment.

There is an old thread on this forum about it somewhere.

Phil

May also explain the large war memorial, with 219 14-18 casualties, in Ladywell Cemetery and the cross of sacrifice in the immediately adjacent Brockley Cemetery, five minutes away...

Phil,

The Screen Walls at Ladywell and Brockley Cemeteries contain some local men and also some from Lewisham Military Hospital and the nearby Bermondsey War Hospital, which was in Ladywell itself. I have however found that quite a few of those on the Lewisham Hospital Memorial were returned home for burial.

Phil

• 3 years later...

I'd be intrigued to see these pictures if they could be made available again - it seems that my great grandfather (Frank Faulder White) was surgeon at the Lewisham Military Hospital at some point.