Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Launch of ' The War Graves Photographic Project' website

burlington

The War Graves Photographic Project website has been launched today, 1 February.

Their website address is: http://www.twgpp.org

I quote from the website:

<quote>

The aim of The War Graves Photographic Project is to photograph every war grave, individual memorial, MoD grave, and family memorial of serving military personnel from WWI to the present day and make these available within a searchable database.

</quote>

Also

<quote>

The War Graves Photographic Project is now recognised by the CWGC and is regarded as a joint venture in providing photographs of Commonwealth forces war graves. Working in parallel with them considerably helps both organisations by bringing together two significant archives.

</quote>

The project is mentioned on the CWGC website HERE

I am sure that we would all want to support the Project and wish it well in the very worthwhile work it is doing.

Martin

Wesley,

Not any more!

The organization formerly known as the BWMP, according to Steve Rogers from this new project, no longer exists.

Roxy

I don't know precisely the status of links with other Projects, but I would have thought that a working relationship still exists from the days of the BWMP.

Is it this one, which still seems to be going:

http://britishwargraves.org.uk/

In short, there was a parting of the ways within the BWMP resulting in the Project you have just mentioned and the Project which is the subject of this topic.

The project is mentioned on the CWGC website

Martin

The CWGC website says that "an agreement" has been signed between then and the project but doesnt give any information as to the nature and scope of the agreement. Do you know any details?

One of the reasons I ask is that I had been considering investing some time in the previous War Graves Project but am reluctant to now do so until things sort themselves out (if you get my drift) and give an impression of permanence

John

Had a look at the web site. Just a bit suprised at the cost of a "hard copy" photo at £5 / e-mail £3 when those looking for a photo of those fallen who are recorded on the great memorials to the missing will just get a photo of the memorial. all seems a bit pointless to me. No doubt others will disagree,

Norman

Two points.

1. why don't they let people upload grave pictures? As I am sure they would get thousands.

2. An upload facility for upload of pictures of the chaps when they were alive by relatives, would be even better, and provde a really worthwhile memorial.

Guy

Martin

The CWGC website says that "an agreement" has been signed between then and the project but doesnt give any information as to the nature and scope of the agreement. Do you know any details?

One of the reasons I ask is that I had been considering investing some time in the previous War Graves Project but am reluctant to now do so until things sort themselves out (if you get my drift) and give an impression of permanence

John

John

You will have to ask Steve Rogers about the scope of the agreement. As I understand it, there will be a link between the entry in the CWGC database and the image of the grave marker/memorial inscription.

As for permanence, I think it will be, as far as anything can be permanent. After all, they have some 1m images already, with quite a lot more to go still. If you look at the Tours part of the website, you will see the main areas of group activity this year, let alone individuals' work. For example, I am in France this Spring to complete some 30+ locations.

Regards

Martin

I attended the 'launch' meeting with the Project and CWGC a couple of months ago along with many other volunteers and think I can answer some of the above questions (I have no connection with the Project other than as a volunteer photo supplier and a provider of some data).

1) CWGC will be providing a link to each photo on the web record in due course. They are not providing funding for the project. All volunteers continue to give their time freely. Volunteers are NOT working for CWGC in any way but only for the Project. It is a sort of 'alliance' so that CWGC can provide a facility which they cannot fund or provide themselves. They have provided the project with some photos and they are holding a backup copy of all the project's own photos for safe keeping. The links on CWGC's site will go to the project's site and they will bear the cost of hosting etc. Those that attended the meeting may be able to recall more details.

2) Photos of names on memorials to the missing will be provided - not just pics of the memorial itself. The majority of pics will be loaded in the forthcoming few weeks and so the site will be populated as the days go by. The WW2 Italian sites were loaded when the site went live as examples.

3) The 'charge' is a donation and not compulsory as I understand it.

Much of this is stated on the new website and in the newsletter circulated to volunteers.

I see no reson why anyone should be concerned at supporting this very worthwile initiative with CWGC but each to their own. Everyone can continue to support the other national projects as well. They are not mutually exclusive. I continue to be the UK co-ordinator of the SA project but will still supply pics to the new WGPP (or any other non-commercial project for that matter).

The organization formerly known as the BWMP, according to Steve Rogers from this new project, no longer exists.

It does still exist as others have said and is as strong as ever. Following the split of the project when Steve Rogers left, it changed it's name to the International War Memorial.

As others have said, there was a split but this has now settled down, i believe, and both projects will run but separately. Regarding the other projects, they are all still running and will continue to do so.

Martin/Terry

Thanks for the response - the nature of the "alliance" seems to be exactly the sort of permanence/support/recognition/whatever that I believed was necessary for the long term.

I shall have to dust off the camera.

John

The problem is that people will assume thats the only place to go for photos....and at a price, whereas they can ask on here and chances are they will find someone will supply it for free with as much extra information as they need.

Mick

they can ask on here and chances are they will find someone will supply it for free with as much extra information as they need.

Mick

Nothing is for free. The fact that many members provide information and pictures here willingly and for no charge does not mean that it has not cost them time and money.

I would not want to see this Forum touted as an easy touch for those not necessarily willing to 'go the extra mile' themselves. It would be the same as those who come on here an say 'tell me everything about xyz' because it is easier to scrounge here than to make an effort themselves. The vast majority of members here are very willing to exchange information and they also know where the boundaries lie in asking for masses of information as well. However, there are those who do not.

What I meant in my previous post was that the BWMP no longer exists. I was a volunter for that project but was/am uncocerned with the internal politics. That the individuals previously involved went their separate ways and came up with 2 alternative and just as worthy (in my opinion) does not detract from the fact that the original project is now defunct.

Roxy ;)

And the CWGC partnered project is less expensive than the BWMP was!

There is also the Scottish War Graves Project, which provides a similar service, but for all military graves in Scotland. It also provides the photographs on the site entirely free of charge and makes them available on the site so there is no need to "apply" for them.

It's in its early stages of course, but it's growing into something rather good.

www.scottishwargraves.co.uk

As the Boss has just said, the photos on The Scottish War Graves Project are free; furthermore, some, if not most, of us would supply the original photo to family members, rather than the lower quality image on the site - I certainly would!

Roxy

I am not sure if anyone can answer this...

What if someone wanted say 20 photos and they were all available , would they expect a donation of 60 quid for e-mailed pics or say a negotiable figure ....say for example a tenner towards their costs.

Just a thought

Glyn

This is going to be a superb service for those thousands who will never be able to travel, for one reason of another to the graveside or memorial to someone special to them. I know that when I recently took some photos for Forum members, they were very grateful and I enjoyed the taking of them.

I am always a little worried, however, about any organisation where donations are asked for in return for a service. I agree Glyn, are there really £60 admin costs to mailing 20 photos? What if thousands do avail themselves of the service and are generous, where do the, then, thousands of pounds go?

Sorry to sound negative, I would just hate to see this fine initiative under a cloud because everything wasn't really clear from the outset.

This is going to be a superb service for those thousands who will never be able to travel, for one reason of another to the graveside or memorial to someone special to them. I know that when I recently took some photos for Forum members, they were very grateful and I enjoyed the taking of them.

I am always a little worried, however, about any organisation where donations are asked for in return for a service. I agree Glyn, are there really £60 admin costs to mailing 20 photos? What if thousands do avail themselves of the service and are generous, where do the, then, thousands of pounds go?

Sorry to sound negative, I would just hate to see this fine initiative under a cloud because everything wasn't really clear from the outset.

Jim

I am sure that there would be room for negotiation for organisations, and for other special issues.

Why would a single individual want 20 photos anyway? Unless they came within the above examples of course.

One thought for the sceptics. This is a purely voluntary project. Costs are met by the volunteers. Many £100s in some cases and we do it for the greater good of having a permanent 100% online archive available to all, and in respect of ALL conflicts since 1914, right up to the date of posting this message and beyond. None of the admin. costs go towards volunteers' expenses in any shape or form.

The server costs are also met in a similar way. What are the costs of a server capable of hosting some 1.7m images? Each image could be up to 1mb. Not only that, the server must have the power to deal with very many visitors.

I don't know the answer to that question, and I am sure you don't. But for sure we would do if the costs came out of our own pockets, as it does others'.

Martin

Why would a single individual want 20 photos anyway? Unless they came within the above examples of course.

Martin

Maybe someone researching a local memorial with perhaps 100-200 names on it. They make a few trips but can't make all the cemeteries they need and end up with a couple of dozen left, and then ask nicely on here and get a few ticked off the list.

I suppose 60 quid would be cheaper than making other trips etc. but I was just wondering if their was a middle ground for donations.

Please do not take my response as negative as I feel it is a very worthy project and applaud those voluteers who give up their time and I know you (Martin) are one of those volunteers and have helped me and many on this forum with photos over the years.

Glyn

Glyn

Why don't you email Steve and ask him?

Regards

martin