Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers Killed in France

BREWSTER

I AM RESEARCHING MY 2 GREAT UNCLES WHO WERE BOTH KIA ON THE SOMME.

PTE. 2588. ARTHUR ERNEST BREWSTER. ESSEX REG.10TH BATTALION.

DIED 29/9/1915 AGE 17YRS BURIED ALBERT CEMETERY. ATTACHED TO 53 BRIGADE / 18TH DIVISION, LANDED AT BOLOGNE 25/5/1915....

I CAN NOT FIND CORRECT RECORDS FOR HIS DEATH. THE BATTLE OF ALBERT WAS IN 1916!

PTE/L/CPL 43579 GEORGE WILLIAM BREWSTER MGC. ESSEX REG.

I HAVE BEEN TOLD HE SERVED WITH THE ESSEX REG IN GALLIPOLI WERE HE WAS WOUNDED.AFTER RECOVERING IN HOSPITAL, NOT KNOWN WHERE! WAS THEN TRANSFERRED TO THE MACHINE GUN CORPS IN FRANCE AND WAS KIA 13/11/1916 AGE 21YRS AT THE BATTLE OF ANCRE. I HAVE A LETTER FROM HIS C/OFFICER THAT HE HELPED TO TAKE & CAPTURE "THE GERMAN TRENCHES" 2LT. N.Y.OXENDEM. A SECTION.ALSO CITIATION OF MEDAL TO BE AWARDED FOR MERITORIOUS/BRAVERY, BUT CAN NOT FIND ANY MENTION IN THE GAZETTE.

ANY INFO ON THERE MOVEMENTS LEADING TO THERE DEATHS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED....

post-1-1075502936.jpg

NO, NOT YET BUT I WILL GIVE IT A TRY !

MANY THANKS FOR THE INFO...

Brewster

You should at least check for their service records and for any mentions in their unit war diaries. To find out how to do that, click on The long, Long Trail link (top-left of this page), and then read 'Grandad's war'.

I presume you've seen his details on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database? Click here

A death in September 1915 in 10th Essex was a comparative rarity - it was a pretty quiet time. Although men of ordinary ranks are not often mentioned in the war diaries, I would guess that there is a chance that Arthur's death may be.

I see, again from CWGC, that George was serving with 5th Company MGC. That was part of the make-up of 5th Brigade, 2nd Division.On 13 November 1916, 5th Brigade attacked across Beaumont Trench and towards Munich Trench, just south of the Redan Ridge (which is south-west of Serre, north-west of Beaumont Hamel). Again, check out the Company war diary.

Hope that gives you something to go on.

PS no need to shout on this forum, switch your caps lock off!

There is also a published history of the 10th Bn Essex Regiment (published 1920s); I will fish out my copy and post some details from it here.

The battalion suffered quite a few casualties on the Somme in 1915/16, including their battalion commander who was killed by a wooden beam in a dugout, when a shell collapsed it and the whole structure fell on him.

A member has already indicated that they have this book: it's here.

Remember to use the very powerful search facility on the forum. You never know what you'll find.

I shall leave it to this member to answer the post, then.

Sorry Paul; on re-reading my post it did sound a bit like 'Don't bother Paul someone else has it'. Didn't mean that! My post was actually addressed to Brewster, who could have found the offer of help on 10th Essex, just by using the site search.

Dear Chris & Paul

Thankyou very much for your replys.

As you can tell I'm a raw recruit and still finding my way around the site.

My interest in WW1 started when researching my family tree, as most, to find out I had 2 Great Uncles kia & a Grandad who survived Egypt.

I am now in possesion of all their medals, letters & photos etc..

I have e-mailed to Guard 1 with reference to his book. I Have also been through "Grandad's war" which was very interesting.I will have to make the long journey to the PRO London and look for the records you spoke about.

Thanks once again

Marc Brewster.