Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I F T C project

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Terry, could you tell the forum please what happens next. The forum find lets say 4,000 possible non comms which go past all the searches you do and onwards to the CWGC. I believe that details on the birth certificate are really needed to convince the CWGC that they should be commemorated. At £6.50 per death cert thats a few bobs worth. Are they reducing their normal strict searches.

Next question. Lets stick with the 4,000 found men and women. Are they going to remembered not just on the site but on a special memorial or on an existing memorial near to where they were thought to have died.

Now we have 8,000 mistakes, say regiment, or surname. Thats a lot of headstones, memorials that will need changing, are the CWGC going to undertake this, does their budget allow this to happen.

Fingers crossed you can give some answers,

Kevin

Kevin

Firstly, it is too early to even estimate a number of possible non-coms to be found but early indications are that your 4000 figure is too high. Only 161 possibles have been found out of about half the name batches supplied so far. Even these have to have one more final check.

The birth certificates are no good. We need the death certifcates at £7 each. Discussions are in hand on funding for this but I cannot say more at this stage. I am hoping for news any day. We have not asked members for donations (and do not intend to) for this project but some have been sent unsolicited. At least one has been substantial and they will be utilised for obtaining the first DCs shortly - as soon as the 'A' batch is complete.

Any names accepted by MoD will be commemorated according to CWGC's normal policies. Any other amendments will happen in the normal timescales. Most amendments to headstones wait until they need replacing.

As was stated to all volunteers, only name/DoD errors which can be proven to be scanning errors without further research will be followed up - and many have already been corrected by CWGC. None of us will live long enough to do any more!

As I said, at the moment we are still awaiting completion of the letter 'A' batch so that these can be used as the trial run. The volunteers are doing sterling work and SDGW is virtually completed for all letters and GRO is well into the 'B' names for some volunteers - the GRO names are slower to process!

The exercise has proved so far that both SDGW and GRO are riddled with typos and that there is virtually no 'right' way to spell certain names!

This is a very long-term project and patience is required as well as enthusiasm. However, the Project will certainly be able to get a large number of men their proper commemoration - which is its sole aim.

Terry,

You say that your not asking for donations to fund this project, But where would a donation be sent to if we wanted to help in this project ?

My PC skills arnt brillient but if I can be of help "physically" then just shout, otherwise please give an address for donations.

Not being exactly rolling in it, I would like to help remember at least two of the forgotten.

Cheers

Grant