Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hindenburg Line

Guest newworldmember

Guest newworldmember

I've noticed recently that some well-established British military authors differ from each other regarding the date the Hindenburg Line was breached.

The Times Diary and Index of the War indicates that during 1917, it was 'penetrated' on 3 May and that the Aussies 'widened' their hold on it on 7 May. The British 'captured' a further section northwest of Bullecourt on 15 Jine and that it was 'broken' on a 10-mile front facing Cambrai on 20 November.

In 1918, it was 'broken' on 27 September and 'broken' again between Cambrai and St. Quentin on 29 September.

I tend to believe the date was 29 September 1918 when the line was broken at several points by British, Australian and French forces. I base this on the assumption that the earlier breaks were sealed off by the Germans, but I may well be mistaken.

If anyone wants to take a swing at a different conclusion, I'll be glad to read it.

Cory Kilvert :huh:

Cory - the Hindenburg Line was entered at several points during the Battle of Arras by British troops (eg around Fontaine, Wancourt etc), but I would agree and say that it was not finally breached until the 27/29 September 1918. Near St Quentin and Cambrai this left largely only the Beaurevoir-Fonsomme line which was breached in the first few days of October, and after that it was basically open warfare right up to Mons, with an occasional stall at places like the Sambre Canal. A very different war compared to what happened before.