Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M.M. winners.

CROONAERT

I am presently researching the life and times of a soldier who won the MM at the age of 17. This got me wondering (with a little help from Myrtle) who was the youngest recipient of this medal (both WW1 and ever) and also,who was the oldest.

Any ideas?

I write this without benefit of access to my records, but there is 19-year-old RAF pilot buried in a small cemetery near Cagincourt who had the MC and two bars. The regulars on The Aerodrome Forum know about him; put a post there if you cannot wait until next week.

A MC and two bars before he had started to shave properly - I think that's incredible

The 19-year-old airman with a MC and two Bars was Captain Sidney Edward Cowan. He is buried in Cagincourt CWGC. An Irishman, he was killed on 17 November 1916 in a mid-air collision with another British aircraft. He has been described as one of the first RFC aces

Not quite as young,I know,but hadn't Albert Ball received the MC,DSO and bar by the time he was 20 years and a month old?

How about this:

Major James McCudden RAF Killed 9 July 1918

VC, DSO and bar , MC and bar, MM, Croix de Guerre

Aged only 23 when he died.

Remarkable, especially when I think that he was only 3 years older than me when he died and by then had won all those decorations.

Tim