Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Field Survey Company, Royal Engineers

stevehowarth

In researching Capt. RGA Dickey, normally of the 5 Bt. Manchester Reg., I discovered that he was attached to the 1st Field Survey Co. Royal Engineers on 8 April 1918. On this date he was gassed and invalided back to England; he died later in 1918 of pneumonia.

Could anybody confirm the whereabouts of this company on the above mentioned date?

Steve

• 10 years later...

Hello Steve

1st Field Survey Company was part of First Army Troops, responsible for map surveying in the Army area, roughly between the Franco-Belgian border and the Loos-Lens sector.

Ron

Hello Steve, I remember promising to send a trench raid file on DVD to you some time ago. Did you receive it?

The field survey companies took the number of the army they were assigned to. They worked throughout that army's area. Part of their task was topographic survey, map making and printing. They also included the army's sound ranging sections and flash spotting groups, these both included men that were not RE, including artillery officers. In 1918 the companies were expanded to field survey battalions.

See this page of my web site for details http://nigelef.tripod.com/p_artyint-cb.htm