Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool Regiment - Lewis ANGUS Pvt 22601

gangus

To further my family research I am seeking help in ascertaining a discharge date and location for:

Lewis ANGUS, born 1st Sept 1870 20 Longfellow Street TOXTETH PARK

1891 UK Census

Lewis ANGUS 20 yrs, single, Private in Militia

Orford Barracks, WARRINGTON, CHS

Liverpool Regiment

Regimental No. 22601 Private

WO 372/1 1914-1920

Medals: British, Victory & 15 Star Demob

Theatre: 1 France 20/12/1915

Regards

Glenn

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Hello Glenn,

His papers appear to have been lost as I could not find them on Ancestry. Thus it is very unlikely that you will find answers to your questions - but you never know. I am aware that he enlisted in Nov 1914 and served with 20 KLR (4th Liverpool Pals) and then (probably after being wounded or falling ill) with 13 KLR. Unfortunately I have no other information for you.

Regards

Promenade

Thanks mate... at least that is a bit more than I have, so that is a good start.

I assume that most men went onto a pension afterwards? or is that not the case?

If so would it be worth the effort to maybe follow up with whatever / whoever that theory in the hope he might have been in receipt of a pension ?

Or is it also possible the pension records might be missing ??

Glenn

Glenn,

Not all men who were discharged received a pension (they were usually awarded for some mental of physical incapacity which resulted from war service) they were simply demobilised or disembodied and left to pick up their lives as best as they could. It could be that your relative was discharged to pension but most men were not - the cost would have been pohibitive to a country already crippled by the war. Whether it is worth the effort to check is really your call but the odds are against it.

Promenade

• 4 months later...
Hello Glenn,

His papers appear to have been lost as I could not find them on Ancestry. Thus it is very unlikely that you will find answers to your questions - but you never know. I am aware that he enlisted in Nov 1914 and served with 20 KLR (4th Liverpool Pals) and then (probably after being wounded or falling ill) with 13 KLR. Unfortunately I have no other information for you.

Regards

Promenade

Hi again Promenade

Just revisiting trying to find the fate of Lewis ANGUS.

I have been sidelined with another leg of the family

Can you educate me please on the source of his enlistment in 1914?

Does this come from the medal card or some other place?

Excuse my ignorance of things Military

Glenn in Australia

Glenn

I dont claim to know much about military matters but as Lewis Angus shows on 1891 Census as being in Barracks in Warrington Lancashire listed as Militia he seems to have been a recruit well before the Great War as as such must have been entitled to some pension. If he continued in service after the war I think I am correct in saying that his pension records would not as such be released yet, and are only available to his next of kin ...of course that maybe you!

I see he was living age 7 months with his grandparents on 1871 census but I expect you have this info.

There is another medal card to a Lewis Angus showing on Ancestry

LEWIS ANGUS 20th Hussars number 331415

Caroline

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Caroline

Can only hope they release the pension records in the not too distant future for that era. Also can't wait for the 1911 census to come out.... I might get lucky on that one (fingers crossed)

I do have him on the 1871 and 1891 census but not the 1881 and 1901.

The other Lewis ANGUS 20th Hussars.... for some reason I discounted that one years ago but as hard as I have looked can't find any notes at to why and the reason I was sure Lewis KLR etc was the one. Certainly can collect lots of paperwork and computer files doing this family stuff :-)

Maybe I should revisit and recheck the Hussars..... just a matter of finding the right website that could actually give me something positive.

Will keep hunting and thanks again

Glenn down in Australia

Glenn

I dont claim to know much about military matters but as Lewis Angus shows on 1891 Census as being in Barracks in Warrington Lancashire listed as Militia he seems to have been a recruit well before the Great War as as such must have been entitled to some pension. If he continued in service after the war I think I am correct in saying that his pension records would not as such be released yet, and are only available to his next of kin ...of course that maybe you!

I see he was living age 7 months with his grandparents on 1871 census but I expect you have this info.

There is another medal card to a Lewis Angus showing on Ancestry

LEWIS ANGUS 20th Hussars number 331415

Caroline