Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thank you to Neil Clark

jim_davies

Wanted to give a public thank you to Neil Clark.

A while back I gave him details of two Stamford lads who I believed to be non-commemorated by the CWGC. Despite the limited information I was able to provide Neil has just informed me that both lads are among his latest batch of lads that the CWGC has finally agreed to recognize.

Pte Herbert Stanley Swanson, (3576, 24th Royal Fusiliers) who died of wounds (gassed) after being discharged due to wounds and Pte Frederick Woods (36267, 1st Northumberland Fusiliers) who was killed in action on 3 May 1917.

Both have been commemorated in various memorials in Stamford, Lincolnshire since the 1920s.

Jim,

YOU found these guys NOT me Jim!!!!! Besides I am glad to have been of assistance in this matter. Both these men should have their names added to the CWGC Debt of Honour Index very soon. More importantly both shall now be entitled to new war graves or in the case where we don't know where they are buried, an entry on an official memorial to the missing. I understand from Maria Choules (CWGC) that Frederick Wood's name will soon be inscribed on the addenda panel of the Thiepval Memorial. Herbert Swanson's name will probably have to be placed on the Memorial to the Missing at Brookwood, Surrey unless we can locate his place of burial (which is doubtful). My feeling is that he was buried somewhere in West Hampstead London near to where he died. Then again he MAY have been buried in Stamford if the family requested his body be returned there. It will most likely be impossible to trace a burial especially if he had a paupers grave without any kind of headstone. In both cases their names will soon get official commemoration and that is very important indeed. And to think these men were approved within 10 days of submission to the MoD (Army)! Now that was quick....Well done to the Army - The Naval Historical Branch should hang it's head in shame!

YOU should be very proud of what YOU have done here. I'm sure the local people of Stamford would wish to know they have been parading in front of a war memorial for 90 years which contains 2 utterly forgotten souls (one of which was actually KILLED IN ACTION on the Somme!).

I'm merely walking in the footsteps of my hero & mate JOHN MORCOMBE (Jack Clegg) who is THE true pioneer of this kind of groundbreaking work.

Thanks Jim, keep your eyes peeled for anymore!

Neil

• 2 weeks later...