Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika - Some photos

GordonW

When my father died in 1956 we found the two photos below among his possessions.

These were taken during the Salonika campaign and apparently show photographs of before and after, presumably some battle.

I was hoping someone might be able to throw some light on these because the dates and times are written on the back of each photo.

The one showing what looks like a town/city on fire is: Aug 18th 1917 - 9 o'clock.

The one showing what looks like the aftermath is: Aug 18th 1917 - 4 o'clock.

I appreciate the quality has deteriorated but the dates may be give some clue. I have higher resolution scans available if anyone wants them.

Gordon.

post-28387-1201530177.jpg

post-28387-1201530200.jpg

Hi Gordon,

Interesting pictures! August 18th 1917 was the day of the Great Fire in Salonika.

It started in the early afternoon, so your photos are perhaps 4pm and 9pm (after dark) that day. The fire burned until the 21st, destroyed much of the old Turkish and Jewish quarters of the city and rendered some 80,000 people homeless (over 9,000 buildings were destroyed).

I would appreciate some hi res scans. I've tried fiddling with the contrast in a paint program, but without much success. I can't say for sure, but the first photo looks to have been taken from the Karaissi area, looking south-ish towards the city centre. The second is taken from much closer in, perhaps from the High Town.

I'll PM you with my email address.

Adrian