Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

95 Brigade at SENSEE VALLEY

brownegaz

My grandfather was wounded (Shell shock) on the 4th June 1917,from 95 Brigade RFA war diaries I was able to find that his battery faced some hostile enemy artillery action on that day, I have provided an extract of the days events.

4 June 1917

0600-0715 80 rounds from a 105mm fell along a line in T24A, T24b and T19A

0630-0700 30 Rounds from a 77mm fell in T29b

0800-0945 Intermittent shelling of SENSEE VALLEY with 77mm and 105mm T10 received 30 rounds timed shrapnel from 105mm some 45 rounds fell in these areas

2000-2020 30 rounds 21mm in N34

2040 Flash of 77mm guns shelling T10 1 Degree 45’R of FONTAINE CHURCH from T17 A 0 4

2145-2215 30 rounds 150mm fired into ST LEGER direction 60 degrees SLB from T 28 A 2 8

T12, T17 & T18 intermittently shelled with 105mm

On the next day there are further details of enemy action with HV shelling of JUDAS FARM.

Later in the day 2 sections of A/95 moved to J 16 b a 5

Can someone please tell me if this action was part of any named battle

I would be greatful if some one could please provide a map of the areas where this action took place , this is the first time I have been able to track down where my GF actually served.

I may need a crash course in how to understand what I assume are map coordinates (ie T17 and J 16 b a 5 etc)

Thanks for any assistance

Gary

Thanks for the map John at least now I can get an idea of where my GF served with 95 Brigade.

I dont want to sound ungreatful but is there any chance of getting a map with a slightly larger scale so I can see places mentioned in the war diary ie Judas Farm etc, I guess Im looking for a trench map to find places like J 16 b a 5.?

Please excuse my ignorance I havent looked at battlefield maps before.

Thanks for your assistance

Gary

Gary

J16 is on a completely different map sheet this where the two section moved to. Map 10-51BNE3-4A-020118- N-S-Bellonne

John

post-1365-1201785859.jpg

Many thanks John, this is my first look at battlefield maps so you have given me something to go on with, I will print the maps out and mark the known places on it using your instructions.

One day I hope to make the trip to France to retrace my GF steps.

Cheers

Gary

Hi again John

Just as an afterthought is there anyway I can buy complete copies of these two maps so I can get a

better overall picture of the area concerned.

Thanks for your help

Gary