Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

adelphi lads club

manchester regiment

ime not sure if these 2 men are non comms.

i cannot find either man on the CWGC,this is all i have on them.

cpl j.manning

RFA

born 24-11-1893

died 9-12-1917

pte joseph burton

8th lancs fusiliers

born.1-9-1873

died 5-7-1919

both were members of the adelphi lads club and were probably from the broughton area.

any help is much appreciated

thanks

mack.

• 1 year later...

Hi Mack,

Think this could be Joseph Burton.

post-28661-1233960188.jpg

He has a few pages under Pensions and at a quick glance: discharged due to illness 1916 with no wounds/bad effects due to his service. Maybe the club commemorated him for being a member (who passed away due to non-war related problems)?

Garry

Re Joseph Burton I agree with Garry - the Pension records do not state the illness but do confirm that whatever it was it was not caused by or aggravated by military service

Chris

No-one likely on the GRO Overseas Death list for Manning. FreeBMD chucks up a couple of deaths of John Mannings in the December quarter, but your guess is as good as mine if they might be him (the deaths are not local to Salford)

John

I expect you know as you are probably using it as your reference from the info you give, but in case both are pictured in the Adelphi Old Boys Association 1914 -1919 book of Remembrance

• 11 years later...

Joseph Burton 3967 was discharged on 14 April 1916 with VDH "not result of and not aggravated by military service"; pension card states that he died on 5 July 1919 from "enlarged liver and gastritis". Last known address was 15 Uxbridge Street, Salford.

The other man was Cpl John Manning 342 RFA, discharged time expired on 4 February 1916 and died 9 December 1917. No indication of any disability that would have caused or contributed to his death. In his service papers, his mother's address was 19 Mulgrave Street, Lower Broughton, Manchester.