Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Still surviving genuine WW1 shattered trees.

chrislock

Last year, my partner went walking about Railway wood/ Bellawarde area. She came across a wonderful, upright, genuine, shattered relic of a tree. This was in the middle of a field, the tree was bullet and shrapnel scarred! She took a few photo,s and then left. She took me there 6 months later, only to find it collapsed and broken. If somebody out there knows of any others, still standing in the flanders area, please could you let us know? We wish to document and photo any left still standing, we will also be visiting the Somme in March and Flanders in April. Thank you, Chris. Ps, no Sanctury wood ones, no offence meant!

Thanks, but I have seen both of those, I would realy like to visit a non visited, natural tree, if you know what I mean. What a wierd reply and subject,sorry lads.

Actually there is no question that the Danger Tree is fake. One of the funnier things I saw on the western front was a receipt for the purchase of "One Danger Tree". It was dated in the mid-60s. The person giving the tour joked the receipt had been kept in case they need to return it for an upgraded model. Ask at the visitor center desk, they should be able to show it to you.

Andy

Paul,

You're dead right about my posts but with work, wife, family, three grandchildren and being the only car driver in the family I sometimes wonder where I get time to look at the forum.

Never mind one of these days I may be able to retire!!

Bob.

Well Bob it sure was not a criticism, though I confess to enjoy reading many well thought long ones, you make your points and give your information succintly, not a sin.

When I first visited Le Cateau in 1987 a tree was pointed out that was allegedly the one the BEF tried to saw down to avoid it being used as a ranging post by the Germans-it supposedly had the original saw marks in it. I think that doubt has been subsequently cast on its authenticity...