Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW look up please

Adam Llewellyn

Trying to get Christian name for 12738 R. E. Glover Leicestershire Regiment Date of Death 1.9.1918.

Could some one please tell me how you get the SDGW database?

Regards. Llew.

Thanks Jay appreciated.

Could I be a pain and ask you to have a look at 25935 H. Hancock Leics. Reg. Date of Death 5.11.1917. Christian name again please.

Llew.

I wonder where that name came from. Is the SDGW database available to purchase by any chance?

Thanks again Jay.

Llew.

Yep. Can be purchased on-line from Naval & Military Press - be prepared to be shocked.

You can also view it on line (for a fee) at Find My Past.com.

Doug

• 5 years later...

I am trying to find a long lost family member,born 1897 in Bedminster, Bristol first name unknown, and have the following information, that may be him.

He had no known grave but details on Menin Gate are as follows.

Private Henry Flower,

Royal Berkshires 6th Bt.

died 31/7/17.

i have been looking for this long lost great uncle for 6 years so any details most useful.

Many thanks Sheila

Harleychick

I suggest that you have a dig on Ancestry, view his Medal Index Card, check for service records, and maybe you will be able to add something from SDGW or by checking their birth and census records. If you don't have a subscription, you can normally get access for nothing at your local reference/local studies library, or even try their two week trial subscription - just remember to cancel quickly.

Keith

Cannot see a service record for a Henry Flower on Ancestry,the name and number quoted 203064 according to SDGW belongs to a soldier born and residing in Bedminster so he could well be your relative. Ralph.

Could be him Ralph but so many Flowers in Bedminster, all related and many with same first names.Had a good look for three brothers who are likely candidates, but no luck as yet.Alfred, Henry and Arthur, another two brothers William who was killed in 1917 and Sam my grandad who survived have been found, so the brother with no known grave has to be one of the three named as the other two brothers Edward and Fred were too young to have served.Their home address was 108 West Street, Bedminster Bristol.

Had a good mooch on Ancestry but no luck.I am beginnng to wonder if the missing brother never existed although my Mum and sisteres all said two were killed,William who's grave I visited in France and another blown to pieces by a mine, no trace found..I found a cousin Albert on the Menin Gate at home address West St. Bedminster that got my hopes up for a while., his parents George and Rosina.

Many thanks Sheila.

Hi Shiela - the only H. Flower born in Bedminster on SDGW is the man you have already identified (Pte 203064) He was living in Bedminster when he enlisted at Reading.

The Medal Card record at the National Archives shows two service numbers, 23812 and 203064.

I guess you already know this bit but on the 1901 census there is a William and Caroline (Short - I think - married 1888 in Bedminster?) and their six children, Lilly L. 12, Alfred 11, William 9, Samuel 6, Henry 4 and Arthur 1.

Henry born c. 1897 in Bedminster. Who seems to be Henry Joseph J Flower ?

I don't see a "civil" death for Henry so it looks like the same man to me.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Hi Ken

I'll take anything I can get at the moment, :thumbsup: A lady on Ancestry said Henry married in 1924 so could not be him, and several other people had the same info. but if these people got the info from the source I think they did, then I found many mistakes and Henry was listed as a hairdresser,but on 1911 census he is listed as a coal hauler, as my great grandfather was a greengrocer who also sold coal...a big jump for his son to be a hairdresser with his rough hands??

My bet is on Henry.I've tried to phone my Mums sister today.She was born in 1930 and knew about her uncles deaths, but couldn't remember names, so I'll try again and see if I can jog her memory as to names. I'll see if the Joseph rings a bell., but in the meantime I think I'll go and lie down in a darkened room :w00t: !!

Many thanks everyone.

Hi Ken,

Yes you have the same family.William snr. sold coal from a horse and cart, and the spin off was that my Grandfather ended up in the Royal artillery driving the horses that pulled the big guns., and was kicked by a frightened horse and had his leg shattered and was sent back to England to recover.

Will gallop on with my research

Sheila.