Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th (Service) Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

gh485

I have a book that belonged to my Gt Grandfather William Gladston Batterbee which contains photos and lists of military service for the 17th Northumberland Fusiliers. I am happy to look up names. The officers are listed in great detail. The first plate is of Lt Col Pears (Officer Commanding) and Lt HC Ellis, Major AC Geddes and Major AHB Wright. It is an account of the Battalions Formation and Training for six months - Sep 1914 to Feb 1915. They did fight in the Somme as my GT Grandfather received the Silver War Badge. It lists all the men attested and the military service of all the officers. Under the men attested in records their department in the railways and the station they worked at. It is a fascinating record of bayonet fighting, provisions and training.

Hello Ghumphriss, I was wondering if you could have a look for Alfred Bann for me. I think it will be a bit of a longshot but I know he served in several NF battalions before he ended up in the 1 Garrison Battalion of the NF - I just don't know which ones!

Thanks

Martin

• 2 months later...

Hello Ghumphriss, would you mind looking to see if a 17/510 Pte. Frederick Gladwell is mentioned in your book. He's listed as Kia 29/7/1917 whilst serving with 17th Northumberland Fusiliers. Buried in Gwalia Cemetery.

Keith

Hi Gumphriss

Your posting is very timely. I'd be very interested in any information on a man I'm researching at present :-

17/731 - Pte Ernest W Soulsby

He attested in Sept 1914, landed in France 20th Nov 1915, and served in the 17th Bn throughout the war. He won a 1st Army boxing championship medal in 1917 and two 52nd Div boxing medals in 1918.

I'm particularly keen to get some insight into his background - so the date he signed up, and his place of work at the time would be invaluable.

Best regards

Jef

Archived